JuanLJr

Confidence lost in my sig.

Very unhappy with my new p229 stainless steel elite 9mm, own it for less than 2 months and it's not locking back after last round and this past Saturday I put 150 rounds and failed to eject twice. I called customer service and it's going back to sig today. I only have 2 handguns so I'm not very experienced in this field but my px4 storm 40s&w which cost me half is shooting like a champ.

Should I just give up on that sig and get something else or give it another chance.

Have somebody take a picture of your two handed grip and post it up ( on the slide release side )

If one of your fingers is just ever so slightly touching the slide release it might not engage when it slides back.

*** ( depending on type of slide release and position, not familiar with p229, at least this was the case on my beretta 92 ) ****

Very unhappy with my new p229 stainless steel elite 9mm, own it for less than 2 months and it's not locking back after last round and this past Saturday I put 150 rounds and failed to eject twice. I called customer service and it's going back to sig today. I only have 2 handguns so I'm not very experienced in this field but my px4 storm 40s&w which cost me half is shooting like a champ.

Should I just give up on that sig and get something else or give it another chance.

What ammo were you using?

I am local to you and if you want to meet up, I can look the gun over. I also have plenty of mags to try with the gun to see if it is simply a mag issue. I can also see your grip to see if that is the issue.

I will say, that your grip very well could be the grip, but we have no way of saying that without seeing you shoot.

Don't expect handguns to be flawless, in fact don't expect any mechanical device to be flawless. The amount of money you spend on it is also not indicative of mechanical reliability for any one example, I'm sure that there is still a Yugo running just fine somewhere and Ferrari's catch fire every now and then.

Not locking back and failures to eject can both be generated by a weak mag spring OR by poor technique.

One thing I did notice is that when I shoot my sig those empty shells are always in front of me and with my other gun empty shells are in back of me.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself right here.

I could be weak mag springs.

It is VERY common for people to maintain contact with the slide stop on Sig pistols, causing the slide to fail to lock back. Make very certain your thumb is clear of the lever.

As for failure to eject, that's certainly something to have Sig fix. Blazer is perfectly good quality factory ammo and you should expect any pistol to function perfectly with it.

Have somebody take a picture of your two handed grip and post it up ( on the slide release side )

If one of your fingers is just ever so slightly touching the slide release it might not engage when it slides back.

*** ( depending on type of slide release and position, not familiar with p229, at least this was the case on my beretta 92 ) ****

Yeah Im always careful with my grip cause the slide release and the decocker are right there so close and down that you can feel them with the wrong grip.

It is VERY common for people to maintain contact with the slide stop on Sig pistols, causing the slide to fail to lock back. Make very certain your thumb is clear of the lever.

As for failure to eject, that's certainly something to have Sig fix. Blazer is perfectly good quality factory ammo and you should expect any pistol to function perfectly with it.

It is going back to sig for sure I just recieved the shipping label and lets see what they find.

Oh btw good customer service very polite.

I have a Sig 226 that has been flawless (failure free of any kind) with over 2500 rounds through it. I don't believe it should be ejecting in front of you. All my pistols eject to the side or side rear. It's probably best to have it checked out.

You can use the decocking lever as a thumb reference on your control hand. I use the right outer pad of my right thumb to maintain consistency. The lever will slide slightly during recoil, but it should not change the action. Keeping your right thumb below the slide lock is crucial. I used to have this problem until I corrected my grip. I can move between a dozen pistols and go back to my sig without even thinking of my grip. Some people that don't have much experience with Sigs still have this problem on my pistol.

I have shot a few guns that perform flawlessly for others but get an occasional stove pipe for me..that is how I can tell when I am not gripping it properly and riding the recoil. Just one thought of what "could" be contributing .

Cuban , huh ? Me too :)

Very unhappy with my new p229 stainless steel elite 9mm, own it for less than 2 months and it's not locking back after last round and this past Saturday I put 150 rounds and failed to eject twice.

I have a used Sig 226 that I just picked up short time ago. Only fired 150 rounds or so though but I it was consistently not locking back after the last round... probably 5 out 6 magazines it did not lock back. At first I thought it had to be cleaned but after reading the above maybe it was my grip. When a friend shot it the slide locked back fine. I've since scrubbed the heck out of it and next time I shoot will look at thumb position.

I forgot to add that at my first shooting lesson , the instructor's Glock and PX4 Storm consistently would not slide lock when empty for me..it was me , not the gun. Not saying that is what is going on here , just sharing one reason that can happen.

There has been much discussion of the 229s, new "improved" long extractor causing FTEs.

Are the occasions where the slide doesn't lock open coincident with the FTe?

1st 50 rounds. No prob. Then 2nd time out 100 round not locking back open, did a good cleaning and lube thinking that it might help. Back out this pass Saturday did not lock back like 5 separates times and in between I had the 2 FTe, specially the last one empty shell got caught inside barrel and new round half way up pushing it in and slide half way open. I got frustrated and left the range.

I have shot a few guns that perform flawlessly for others but get an occasional stove pipe for me..that is how I can tell when I am not gripping it properly and riding the recoil. Just one thought of what "could" be contributing .

Cuban , huh ? Me too :)

Cubans representing. Lol

1st 50 rounds. No prob. Then 2nd time out 100 round not locking back open, did a good cleaning and lube thinking that it might help. Back out this pass Saturday did not lock back like 5 separates times and in between I had the 2 FTe, specially the last one empty shell got caught inside barrel and new round half way up pushing it in and slide half way open. I got frustrated and left the range.

Sounds like you have a limp wrist and grip problem. You might have asked one of the range masters at Shore Shot to check you Sig out. They are exceptionally good dependable firearms

do not give up on your 229.

Scig

I have a sig 226 elite and the only ammo it hates is blazer brass...i just avoid it

My Sig dislikes S&B so I avoid them...