Marc

Belt Fed BMG50

Cj doesnt allow 50's anymore. It says inn the range rules no permission will be given for 50 cal.

CENTERFIRE .50 CALIBER RIFLE Use Badge

1. NO SUCH PERMITS WILL BE ISSUED FOR CENTERFIRE .50 CALIBER RIFLES(black power rifles and pistols are permitted without a special use badge). The firing of any centerfire .50 caliber rifle IS NOT PERMITTED.

I copied and pasted that from the website

Cj doesnt allow 50's anymore. It says inn the range rules no permission will be given for 50 cal.

CENTERFIRE .50 CALIBER RIFLE Use Badge

1. NO SUCH PERMITS WILL BE ISSUED FOR CENTERFIRE .50 CALIBER RIFLES(black power rifles and pistols are permitted without a special use badge). The firing of any centerfire .50 caliber rifle IS NOT PERMITTED.

I copied and pasted that from the website

Sorry about the misinformation. I believe they USED TO allow 50 cal. with board permission.

I am a member of CJ I am sure if enough of the members wanted to allow it again they could hold a vote to pass it since club is member owned. I just dont know the level of interest in the club for shooting .50 cal centerfire rifles. However none of this helps your situation right now sorry about that.

Thanks but this is a rifle

I've shot rifle in there before, granted it was only a .22 but you can shoot rifles in their range, downside is its only 25 yards. Their website claims you can rent a Saiga 7.62 rifle from them, but again the only downside is 25 yards. I would call and ask. I'm not a fan of the place but I think Hagues would be your next option if CJ does not allow you to do so.

I've shot rifle in there before, granted it was only a .22 but you can shoot rifles in their range, downside is its only 25 yards. Their website claims you can rent a Saiga 7.62 rifle from them, but again the only downside is 25 yards. I would call and ask. I'm not a fan of the place but I think Hagues would be your next option if CJ does not allow you to do so.

Wtf?? Your saying he should go shoot his belt fed .50bmg at an INDOOR RANGE at 25 yards? :facepalm:

And .22's and 7.62x39 are not even in the same universe as a .50bmg

50543.jpg

Thanks again. I do appreciate your help but a 50BMG cartridge is very powerful and not suited for indorr shooting.

You could try range 14 and SJSC, Im not sure if either will allow .50, but I didnt see anything on their websites that said you couldnt shoot .50 there. Of course you also have to be a member

http://www.range-14.com/

http://sjerseyshootingclub.com/

I am not trying to be impolite, but I don't think you understand what a 50 BMG can do! Many 300yd ranges do not allow the 50 because it does too much damage to their range (at 300 yards)! In a 25 yard indoor range, a 50BMG would penetrate the backstop and probably the next two buildings.

At 200 yards, a 7.62x39 has 882 ft-lb of energy. The 50BMG has 11050 ft-lbs of energy, or roughly 12x the energy. At 200 yards!

Range 14 allows 50 BMG. You need to tell them when you sign up so they put you in the right lane (they don't want the 50BMG in all lanes, but I'm not sure which ones they put you on). They also want to check your rifle out, although that's only happened once in the times I've shot my BMG there.

Cherry Ridge allows you to shoot the BMG on alternate, random Thursdays for a couple of hours, when they feel like it, and when they feel like putting it on the phone line, and when the RO feels like allowing it. Bullets must be non-magnetic, because they've had brush fires started on the rock wall beyond the 300yd targets with steel-core ammo. That is, effectively our NJ official NRA range does a better job preventing you from using your BMG than any anti-gunner in NJ.

I think that there is perhaps some misinformation about the penetrating power of the 50 BMG. Given a sand backstop, firing at 100 yards. I can reach in and pick out the hardened penetrators from AP(black tip ammo) shot from single shot 50 BMG rilfe.

The issues are not penetration of the backstop. The issues are when people don't hit the backstop. The distance the round will carry and the damage it will do when it hits is significant versus a smaller round.

In the north NJ area, Cherry Ridge will let you shoot at 300 yards but only on Wednesday and Thursday with ammo that has bullets with lead core or frangible. No copper/brass and nothing with steel.

There are definitely safety considerations when shooting in a populated state like NJ but with some smarts, you can shoot safely.

LUP

I understand the power behind a 50bmg round. I also know 25 yards is not the best ideal place to fire a round of that power, but in NJ range choices are limited to where someone can use these rounds. The range I suggested did not state an ammo restriction on the website, and the OP could check with the range if he did not find any other place in NJ.

It is a private club (Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol). I believe that they would only consider a request from a member.

I didnt realize they allowed any exemptions for .50BMG, I know it's in the rules that it's prohibited..which is why I never bothered to get one.

In the north NJ area, Cherry Ridge will let you shoot at 300 yards but only on Wednesday and Thursday with ammo that has bullets with lead core or frangible. No copper/brass and nothing with steel.

Maybe. Months go by without them having a BMG allowed day. Other days you can go there and the RO's are not aware that it might be a BMG day. It sucks. ANJRPC does as much to harm the owner of a 50BMG as cease fire nj.

Maybe. Months go by without them having a BMG allowed day. Other days you can go there and the RO's are not aware that it might be a BMG day. It sucks. ANJRPC does as much to harm the owner of a 50BMG as cease fire nj.

CR also requires that the rifle be shoulder fired, so an M2 on a tripod is out at CR.

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a range in NJ allowing the use of a 50 BMG. I know there are a few ranges in Pa. The only problem is a four hour ride each way. So it would have to be an overnight jawnt. Thanks for everyones input.