Adam

New to the firearm world? Please read.

I've had the pleasure/honor/joy of being able to hang around a Firearms store fairly often for extended times throughout the day lately and I've noticed a trend with "new" buyers.

#1. When the store associates remove a firearm from the cabinets, clear it and hand it over to you for you to fondle.. STOP LOOKING POINTING IT AT YOUR FACE and looking down the barrel.

To be honest, you look like an idiot.

#2. Although not "required" and most don't mind (depending on the weapon) ask to dry fire it. It is the polite thing to do.

#3. If you do not know what your looking at, or what youre doing, say so and or ask. Your not fooling anyone.

#4. No, when you buy magazines, they do not come with rounds in them.

#5. Don't put a price on your protection. All to many times I've seen someone buy a different weapon then they were comfortable with, to save a few dollars. Im not talking 100-200$ differences, Im talking 40$ or so.

#6. Don't become a statistic. If you dont have a clue, moat shops can point you in the direction of an instructor to teach you the right thing to do..

These are merely my observations and by no means do I speak for any shop I frequent.

Anyone like to add something to my list, feel free lol..

Excellent points. Id like to add one given the current climate of customer service as of late in (only a few) shops. If you are disrespected or treated poorly by the gun shop staff for asking questions to educate yourself, this is not indicative of the shooting community or most of its vendors. The vast majority of gun shops in this state and particularly belonging to these forums strive towards educating new gun owners and welcoming them into the sport. The gun shop that wont take the time to explain some basics of the weapon, its operation, or the pros and cons for your needs are not worth wasting your time or money on.

I'm new to the firearms world and one of the things I was most anxious about was the gun shop experience. I'm glad stuff like this post is available to new people such as myself as there really isn't a comprehensive guide as to the dos and don'ts of gun shop etiquette.

I generally support the idea that there are certain techniques you can employ that generate a good experience when shopping for anything. Number one has to be manners. Be polite! That means covering your bases by asking important questions. I know I garner a lot more respect when I state the fact that I'm new, but demonstrate that I've done research. So instead of asking, for example: "What caliber is this PPQ?" I'll instead ask "Is this PPQ chambered in 9mm or .40S&W?"

In this day and age where so much information is freely available from the internet, I can sympathize with gun store sales clerks who have to answer questions that can regularly be answered in 45 seconds with the phone most people have in their pocket as they ask. Plus, the 4 rules are pretty much everywhere.

#8. Please, once you are comfortable with firearms, do not bring your girlfriend/little brother/scrawny toothpick of a friend to the range and hand them something big just to screw with them and/or get a laugh out of it. Not only does it make you look like a douche, but they could drop that really nice $1000 .44 magnum you just handed them. And please, don't condone that crap if you see it happening on the range and they're being unsafe (or if they're being unsafe about anything, really). Only you can prevent range douchebags.

Let me just say that I am completely new to this hobby. I just purchased my first handgun last week and this week I purchased my AR. That being said I read a TON of posts, websites, reviews, and looked at videos BEFORE I even stepped into a store. This site has helped me a great deal! I am now looking at getting properly trained.

This week while at the store picking up the AR, I was into it and at first didn't notice the guy next to me. The guy was looking at a bolt action rifle and had the barrel aimed directly at me!!!! I looked back and the other guy in the store had moved back. I stopped what I was doing, put the gun down and moved. The dude with the rifle had the balls to say that it was only a .22!!!! I know the rifle was unloaded but holy crap, seriously! Gun store etiquette guys come on!

Yep, that and a lot worse....

It makes you think twice why we don't have less stupid laws and more laws emphasized on stricter nut forms before they can even touch one.

LOL to #1! Does that really happen?

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

When I shop and have a gun handed to me, I make sure its safe physically and visually before I go an further, even if the sales man had just done it. I have been handed guns at a shop where they didn't even check that its safe. Second thing I do is locate an area that can be considered safe to shoulder or point the weapon, then ask to sry fire. Now.... I go shopping a lot, I like to kick tires but once a month I make a purchase...I see a lot of people taking a potentialy dangerous weapon, and lasering everyone. I have said something before, Hell on time a guy came in from off the range with a stove pipe lasered everyone in the place with a loaded gun. I hit the deck and the sales man made jokes about it. Anyway, I think before a salesman hands a gun over they should.just ask politely " do you have any questions concerning the safe operation of this weapon" it couldn't hurt and help keep stupid.incidents to a minimum

When I shop and have a gun handed to me, I make sure its safe physically and visually before I go an further, even if the sales man had just done it. I have been handed guns at a shop where they didn't even check that its safe. Second thing I do is locate an area that can be considered safe to shoulder or point the weapon, then ask to sry fire. Now.... I go shopping a lot, I like to kick tires but once a month I make a purchase...I see a lot of people taking a potentialy dangerous weapon, and lasering everyone. I have said something before, Hell on time a guy came in from off the range with a stove pipe lasered everyone in the place with a loaded gun. I hit the deck and the sales man made jokes about it. Anyway, I think before a salesman hands a gun over they should.just ask politely " do you have any questions concerning the safe operation of this weapon" it couldn't hurt and help keep stupid.incidents to a minimum

How did the RO miss a guy walking out of the range with an uncased gun. Just another reason i joined a private club.

How did the RO miss a guy walking out of the range with an uncased gun. Just another reason i joined a private club.

Walked right out lasered everyone, the guy is lucky I didn't draw on him and hit the floor first, looking back that was the better decision

Walked right out lasered everyone, the guy is lucky I didn't draw on him and hit the floor first, looking back that was the better decision

"Lasered".....more frigging gun lingo I have to learn.....