SgtToadette

Picked up a Walther PPQ.

I wasn't really sure whether or not I'd post about it, but I figured some people might enjoy some pictures and thoughts about it.

As a disclaimer, this is my first gun. Consequently I can't really report on the accuracy as I currently suck. Nor can I compare it to anything besides a Glock 19 that I shot very briefly at a Gun For Hire FIRST Steps course. I'll try my best to cover all the other departments, though.

I'd first like to give a shout-out to TJs Sporting Arms in Bayville. It was a bit of a hike for me, but was well worth it. Tony is a great guy and easy to deal with. Highly recommend him. I got the pistol for $600.00 including NICS and tax. A very fair price.

For my first gun I was either between this or the HK P30L. I went with the PPQ for a number of reasons, including but not limited to the trigger, ergonomics, and price. I don't consider myself a cheap person and I would have gladly spent the extra $300-$400 extra on the P30, but I couldn't justify doing so. The P30's trigger isn't that good, especially in comparison with the PPQ (more on that later), and it didn't come with night sights from the factory. Simply put, on a feature to feature basis the Walther wins IMHO.

Now this is my first attempt to post a picture so bear with me if I didn't link it correctly:

cwkHi.jpg

Once I had my PPQ in hand I went to the range (RTSP, very nice place btw) about a week later and put 200 rounds of some cheap Remmington UMC 115 grain FMJ through it. Despite being a blatantly dirty ammo, the PPQ had no malfunctions of any kind. I said this before and it's worth saying again; the gun is MUCH better than I am. I have a series of issues that I need to work on including a flinch and working my grip. I can't comment on the accuracy as a result. My fault, not the gun's.

pIuvK.jpg

The trigger is much more to my liking than the Glock 19 I fired. The factory measures it to be about 5.5lbs, which felt about right in use. The take-up is light, and the break is clear and crisp. Once cycled, the reset is incredibly short, audible, and tactile. Since RTSP has a no rapid fire policy I didn't get a chance to take full advantage of the reset, but once I eventually get my butt out to a match of some sort I'm sure I'll be able to report in more detail.

aOViy.jpg

One of the criticisms I've come across from many of the reviews of the PPQ is that the loaded chamber indicator is not easily visible. From the picture I posted above, that is certainly not true for my PPQ. Although certainly not a necessary feature, it's nice to have.

x8qIe.jpg

One of the criticisms I do have is the availability and price of accessories. I purchased a factory mag branded for the PPQ itself for about $53 bucks plus shipping. I'm sure I could have found a better deal elsewhere, but the mags can be rather hard to come by. From what I've read later generation P99 magazines will work with the PPQ as will Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle mags, though I don't have any personal experience with them. I hope in coming years there will be a plethora of options for night sights, magazines, etc. as this is apparently a rather popular pistol. I'm going to give BladeTech a call sometime in the near future and order a holster for the PPQ. I'll report on that if there's enough interest when I get it.

Any questions are welcomed and I'll try to answer them best I can. Thanks for reading! Hope I didn't bore too many of you. :D

Nice review, Zack. Heck of a first effort. Glad the pistol is to your liking, I've read nothing but glowing reviews about the PPQ and had I not "stumbled" upon the Steyr, this may well have had the honor of being Pizza Bob's first tactical tupperware.

As I told you last night, I'll look into a midweek IDPA match up in the P-burg / Easton area, as something that better matches your work schedule.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I can also vouch for the Magnum Research mags. I have 6 with zero failures on any ammo.

Re: Holster - I have a cheapo from pjholster.com and a light carrier with my Streamlight TLR-1s from Kaluban Cloak. Both excellent and serve their purposes for IDPA.

I've had mine for ~8 months now. Approaching 5000 rounds, zero failures that were the gun's fault. 2 FTF with Speer Gold Dot due to some very abnormally deformed bullets.

another option for an inexpensive holster is http://www.zahal.org. I ordered one from them just over a week ago, 40.00 with shipping from Israel.

fits nice, here's my PPQ 9 in it.. obviously it fits my PPQ in .40 as well..

2012-06-18_18-32-23_950.jpg

2012-06-18_18-32-33_536.jpg

another option for an inexpensive holster is http://www.zahal.org. I ordered one from them just over a week ago, 40.00 with shipping from Israel.

fits nice, here's my PPQ 9 in it.. obviously it fits my PPQ in .40 as well..

I did look at that holster briefly, however I don't believe they offer it in a left handed configuration. I have a BladeTech holster on order now. It'll take a couple more weeks for me to get it, but I'll be sure to report on it when I receive it. Thanks for the info, though!

Cool, yeah I ordered a RH so, was not an issue. I also have a blade-tech on order (2nd one, first one returned, was a terrible fit) Hopefully they tweaked the mold and got it right. report back when you get your BT, i'll do the same if I ever get it :-)

Having put several thousand rounds through my PPQ (read my thread for more info) I would say that the Raven or Kaluban Cloak are two highly recommended Kydex holsters for the PPQ.

I also saw that CompTac have just launched a PPQ holster which is another option (I have CompTac for my P226).

Good to see more people trying and liking the PPQ.

:-)

TheWombat

Having put several thousand rounds through my PPQ (read my thread for more info) I would say that the Raven or Kaluban Cloak are two highly recommended Kydex holsters for the PPQ.

I also saw that CompTac have just launched a PPQ holster which is another option (I have CompTac for my P226).

Good to see more people trying and liking the PPQ.

:-)

TheWombat

TheWombat is to PPQ owners as...

VaderFather.jpg