voyager9

Ranges with rentals

Im looking for a good place where my wife and I can go to try a few pistols before I use my last permit. From where I am in the moorestown/mt laurel area of Burlington count it seems my choices are rather limited. I think it's just Bobs and Ready aim fire that are both about 30 minutes away and Shore Shot that is about an hour. Am I missing any? Any opinions on these? I'd rather not drive an hour one-way but it may be worth it if they have a better selection.

We are both new to shooting. Her only time was in a class and she was partial to the 357 loaded with 38's. Probably because the bigger gun had less recoil with hat load. I want her to try a few others. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Take a look at Firing line and Philadelphia Archery and Gun in Philadelphia. I go to Firing Line every Tuesday if you want to meet me there and try out some of my stuff or rent some of theirs. If you came in under my membership you wouldn't get charged a reduced lane fee and you wife wouldn't get charged anything.

PM me if you are interested.

Don't forget Classic Pistol in Trevose/Southampton, PA (large rental selection - where else can you rent a S&W 1911 Pro in 9mm?) and Target World in Chalfont, PA.

You can also try Heritage Guild in Easton. What's nice if you like the gun there, you can have them do an in-store inventory transfer to one of their Jersey branches without FFL fees (or so the salesman told me). They have a pretty nice showroom, though they seem a bit sparse in the ammo department (compared to Cabelas for example).

Im looking for a good place where my wife and I can go to try a few pistols before I use my last permit. From where I am in the moorestown/mt laurel area of Burlington count it seems my choices are rather limited. I think it's just Bobs and Ready aim fire that are both about 30 minutes away and Shore Shot that is about an hour. Am I missing any? Any opinions on these? I'd rather not drive an hour one-way but it may be worth it if they have a better selection.

We are both new to shooting. Her only time was in a class and she was partial to the 357 loaded with 38's. Probably because the bigger gun had less recoil with hat load. I want her to try a few others. Thoughts?

Thanks.

If this is to be the gun she'll use, why waste any more time, money or gas and just get her a nice used wheelgun and put the rest of yer hard-earned cash into some ammo to feed it? I've taught loads of women how to shoot .357's and they all listen to directions and can hit well in less than 3 cylinder's worth of .38 Spl. ammo. My Wife of 29 years loves her revolver: a Smith and Wesson Model 586 with 4" barrel. Just the right weight and balance, not too much tube out in front to cause "droop" and not too short to cause a miss at hand gun ranges, so she enjoys it. This class that she (your Wife) went to should have had autos as well as the wheelgun, no?

Of the names you mentioned, if I were you I'd go to Bob's in Glassboro. Nice selection and has the knowlege and experience to offer excellent customer service, including changing the grips to fit your Wife's hands so she LOVES to go shooting with you!

Shooting should be fun and easy to learn. Get her what she's used to and keep the fun in shooting! She can always learn how to shoot autos (without the limp-wristing that plagues some women) after a diet of .38 Spl.+P's or .357's through the wheelgun.

Permits are like the Doritos' commercial with Leno.......they'll always make MORE, lol!

Just my 2 cents' worth, but then again I have over 40 years behind guns.....

Dave

Permits are like the Doritos' commercial with Leno.......they'll always make MORE, lol!

I get 3 new permits every 6 months just in case I ever want to jump on something. If I don't use them... I let them expire. I already have enough guns, but sometimes its hard to pass up a deal.

If this is to be the gun she'll use, why waste any more time, money or gas and just get her a nice used wheelgun and put the rest of yer hard-earned cash into some ammo to feed it? I've taught loads of women how to shoot .357's and they all listen to directions and can hit well in less than 3 cylinder's worth of .38 Spl. ammo. My Wife of 29 years loves her revolver: a Smith and Wesson Model 586 with 4" barrel. Just the right weight and balance, not too much tube out in front to cause "droop" and not too short to cause a miss at hand gun ranges, so she enjoys it. This class that she (your Wife) went to should have had autos as well as the wheelgun, no?

We both had taken the Basic Pistol class put on by ShootNJ. They had a few SA and DA revolvers as well as semi-autos. Of the ones she fired she liked the 357 the best. She said she didn't like the autos, but couldn't really tell me why. I just picked up a Sig 226 so I want to get her up to the range and at least try that. It's in the house so she should know how to use it. Will have to look into the S&W you mention.

I wouldn't be opposed to a used gun.. the big thing is that she's comfortable with it... both its fit (in her hand) and function (firing it). At a minimum I'd want or to hold it before I purchased anything but I'd prefer she fire it a few times. The worst thing I could do is buy her something unseen, have her hate it, and put her off from the whole idea.

Of the names you mentioned, if I were you I'd go to Bob's in Glassboro. Nice selection and has the knowlege and experience to offer excellent customer service, including changing the grips to fit your Wife's hands so she LOVES to go shooting with you!

Thanks for the info.. everyone. Will have to get the MIL to babysit and plan a afternoon trip sometime soon (before the permit expires).

Sunset hill range off rt. 80 exit 299 tannersville, same exit as the crossings outlet mall. About 5 minutes off the exit. They have several guns look them up. They have a list of guns they have on the page and it's pretty damn cheap. It's outdoors open all year around.