HogLuvr

Surface rust removal

Good suggestions, but I am not a fan of Steel Wool, I like Brass Wool, not a big deal on guns but I like the even softer metal as well as steel wool will rust and while you will clean any steel wool that get on your gun off, if by chance a small piece get lodged in a tight spot like around a scope mount or other location like that, it will promote rusting.

Good suggestions, but I am not a fan of Steel Wool, I like Brass Wool, not a big deal on guns but I like the even softer metal as well as steel wool will rust and while you will clean any steel wool that get on your gun off, if by chance a small piece get lodged in a tight spot like around a scope mount or other location like that, it will promote rusting.

I use the Scothbite pad (a partially worn-out one so it's not too aggressive) and Barricade Oil, which seems to do the trick really nice, without any metal filing residue which will promote rust in tight places like Harry said.

You might want to try "Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner". I use it for cleaning bores and removing rust from any metal. Works great with Rem Oil or other "light" cleaner. Google it and I can say it does all they claim.

I was reading a very good article on firearm rust removal. The writer said not to use oil while using steel wool, but he also suggested, if I recall correctly, to not use steel wool..use something else. It frustrates me that I don't exactly remember this, so I am going to try to look for the article today.

Just on the outside of the barrel. Bore is clean.

Fine steel wool? Isn't that still going to mar the bluing?

REALLY fine, as in 0000 fine, and i'd personally use Kroil as opposed to WD-40. Give it a good coat of Kroil, let it sit for 5 min then lightly hit it with the steel wool, it wont mar the bluing, i;ve done it on a few guns over the years and have had no issued with finish

Hit it with the bench wire wheel, just to be on the safe side.

On a more serious note, I agree about using very fine steel wool and oil. I have used it on some firearm parts with good success, among many other things. Hope you have plenty of elbow grease.