ColtPistols

NJ Legal Colt AR's

I'm looking for my first AR type of rifle. I Don't know didly squat about them, but I'de really like a Colt. Is there anywhere that a complete list of Jersey legal Colt's is posted? Or do most people just get the model they want and then have the stock pinned and compensator welded before they ship it to NJ or whatever else they do?

I think I want really lightweight on account of I'll probably add a scope and a bipod so those 8 pound models seem ridiculous to me for such a small caliber rifle. Any suggestions? or anywhere up north where they stock Colt AR's so I can see a couple models?

If you're the shop owner I think you are I remember stopping in after visiting cherry ridge range once and placed an order for a Colt Mustang earlier this year. If there aren't any competitions closing the rifle and pistol ranges next weekend I'll be up there to see you. Any idea if Colt AR's take a long time to come in, like their pistols? I've always had a hard time getting Colt pistols, but never ordered any of their rifles.

The Colt 'Match Target' series of rifles are NJ legal out of the box. I personally own 3 of them, MT6400, MT6400R, and MT6700. Never had trouble getting them, my dealer orderedwhat I wanted and I received them within 3 or 4 days. No problem.

I have seen recently a couple of standard Colt 6920/6940's that have been made NJ legal. SInce they are not roll marked 'AR-15', they are not banned by name, and can be made NJ compliant. Pin the stock, grind off the bayonet lug, and replace the evil flash hider with a comp that has been pin/welded in place, and there you go.

Cheers!

Jeff

azmaveth, you had also suggested this one to me at one time. It's just not a lightweight version

Personally I wish there was a dealer that has Colt's in stock so I can actually hold it. I'm still reluctant to order on line and

have it shipped to get pinned etc..

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COLE6920MP-DE.aspx

How do you go about getting the stock pinned? Does the nj FFL do this or does it have to be done before it can be shipped into this state? Also, how much does pinning the stock cost?

The 6920 says it comes with a flash hider, what does it cost to change it to a compensator/muzzle break?

Do the front sights come off easily? "Cause I might put a scope one it.

Which is the lightest one? 6920 or 6720? Sorry for all the questions, but I can't seem to find an easy to use reference guide to all the NJ legal Colt AR15 types. Even in my books, they list a bunch, but only give the weight on one or two.

Sorry for all the questions, but I can't seem to find an easy to use reference guide to all the NJ legal Colt AR15 types. Even in my books, they list a bunch, but only give the weight on one or two.

Once again here is the link to Colt NJ Legal AR's: http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/ColtMatchTarget.aspx

Any of the others Here: http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/ColtCarbinesI.aspx

& Here: http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/ColtCarbinesII.aspx

will require the flash hider to be removed, and a comp pinned and welded, the bayo lug removed and the collapsible stock pinned in a fixed position.

Contact one of the many forum FFL's for pricing on the rifle and pricing on the necessary work to make one NJ legal should you decide to pick one of those.

You can use the "price request" option on this forum and it will automatically send out a request to all the forum vendors, if you know the model you want.

FYI- If you do decide to purchase a non-complaint model and purchase a comp to replace the flash hider. The branson brake

550170.jpg

closely resembles the Colt A2 flash hider and is NJ legal. I purchased my brake from PK90, a forum vender here and I know he is capable of all compliance work on these rifles.

How do you go about getting the stock pinned? Does the nj FFL do this or does it have to be done before it can be shipped into this state? Also, how much does pinning the stock cost?

The 6920 says it comes with a flash hider, what does it cost to change it to a compensator/muzzle break?

Do the front sights come off easily? "Cause I might put a scope one it.

Which is the lightest one? 6920 or 6720? Sorry for all the questions, but I can't seem to find an easy to use reference guide to all the NJ legal Colt AR15 types. Even in my books, they list a bunch, but only give the weight on one or two.

You can have the stock pinned by an FFL in state or send it to a shop outside if you wish.

I personally like ADCO Firearms. They do very good work at reasonable prices.

http://adcofirearms.com/shopservices/

$35 to pin stock

$25 to remove bayonet lug

You'll need to get a muzzle brake and have that pinned and welded.

That'll cost you $30 + the cost of the brake. Adco does add extra for certain models of brakes.

I have a Battle Comp 1.0 and 1.5. They are a bit expensive though $130-150. There are lots of others out there that don't cost as much. Troys are good and cheap. Also PWS, Rainier Arms, and Spikes Dynacomp to name few.

You could also pin a thread protector and skip the muzzle brake. Only $15 for the thread protector.

The Front Sight Base can come off, but it's the best gas block out there. You can shave it down, but that's a permanent solution.

If you get a scope, you can leave the front sight base. You won't notice it in your sight picture anyways.

The 6720 is the lighter one of the two. The barrel is a lighter profile. Other than that, everything else is the same.