BossyMossy

The First Semi... The First AR

Hi All,

So here is the deal. I went into the local gun shop today to order a mini-14. I don't own ANY semi-automatic rifles at all yet. That being said, i love the look of the mini-14 and i've heard some good things. I've also heard some, albeit not a lot, of unfavorable reviews. That that being said, with the cost reduction compared to an AR, (800 dollars compared to 1100) i figured it was worth it. Well, let's just say that everyone in the gun store disagreed with me. They were willing to order a mini-14 for me, but were still talking up the AR. Now, i really like the classic look of the mini-14. The fact that you can get it with a wood stock really appeals to me. Even the synthetic black min-14s look like somewhat of a more "traditional" rifle.

In any event, question number one is: Do you agree with these people? Would it be foolish to purchase the mini-14 as one's first semi-auto rifle?

Next... on to the AR-15.. There were a few different options. All of which are discussed in other topics on this board. I'm not here to ask the silly question of "which is best"? I am here to ask what YOU thought was best for your first AR-15 purchase and why. There was some big price differences. The M&P was like 700 bucks. The standard bushmaster was 1100. Then there was a new "Piston" AR15 made by ruger i believe.. that was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200.

Let's hear it!

Best,

BM

I do not own an AR-15 although I have shot them plenty of times. If I were to get one, I would get one from Whindam Weaponry, with the more "traditional" look with a carrying handle and attached front sight. But my problem is that I like wood. An AR-15 isn't even on my radar screen. I honestly don't know what I would do with it and I don't feel like stocking yet another caliber.

As for the Mini-14... Life is too short to buy guns that other people think you should have. As I said before, I personally like wood and WWII-ish looking rifles. If you like it, buy it and you will be happy. This is why they make different types of guns.

Yes, the magazines are a little expensive. Yes, parts will be a little harder to come buy. But when you caress the wood of that rifle, as you slide it up to your cheek, you will be happy, and that is what really matters.

I think you answered some of your own questions. I don't own a mini-14 but I agree that I do like the looks of it. It has that traditional rifle look but way more fun than your traditional rifle. I personally want a m1a if I want a more traditional rifle look.

For the AR-15, you get the flexibility. You can pretty much customize your AR to your liking (within the limitations of our state's laws) and there is no shortage of pieces to make your AR unique. You can start with something simple to start and then swap out the pieces.

I have an M&P Sport. One of the least expensive AR-15 type rifles you can buy. I like it a lot. Pull the trigger and it shoots. More expensive ARs have better metallurgy and some other features desirable by soldiers or those that want the best to be ready for anything.

My personal opinion is that it's extremely unlikely you'll ever shoot an AR rifle at anything in a tactical situation. It's even more unlikely you'll ever shoot more than 10 shots in such a situation. If you're going to shoot thousands of rounds in a training or competition situation then buy a nice rifle. I question the need to have a military grade weapon locked in a safe at home for a SHITF situation but lots of people feel it's necessary.

Bottom line is that you should buy what you like. The AR platform is a really fun rifle. If you have a semi-modern military perspective then a AR looks like a traditional rifle. If you' have a hunting perspective than the Mini-14 might look more like traditional perspective.

Then there was a new "Piston" AR15 made by ruger i believe.. that was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200.

The solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

I think most of the people on this site suffer from the same affliction; we like 'em all. I say get the mini-14...and then an AR...and then it's on to something new again...

Regarding an AR, get a basic rifle and change it as you become familiar with what you like and don't like. It's hard to say what features are important until you have some trigger time. But that's the beauty of the platform, you can change just about everything...and then spend more money and change it again.

It's hard to say what features are important until you have some trigger time.

I disagree.. there are a million and one AR parts...

If I say "I want a light weight run and gun AR"

the suggestion would NOT be "perfect.. get a PRS.. 24in barrel... and a bipod..."

once you know what the application is, suggestions for a build should be fairly simple.. for example.. "precision paper puncher" would benefit from a nice smooth $200 trigger.. but a run and gun center mass AR.. probably doesn't need one..

First rule of thumb is do your research before you walk into a gun store. The counter jockeys are some of the least informed/most misinformed gun people out there. If we listened to them everyone would be walking around with kimbers and DPMS Panther rifles.

My brother has a mini-14 in stainless, its a nice rifle, shoots well, a bit tricky to take apart for cleaning the first few times. Was tossed to get one, but went for the AR. I dont know current pricing but my MP15 ORC was just under $800. Next time out I was able to shoot them side by side, the AR was more accurate and shot smoother. I still like his mini-14, but its off my list. My brother likes the traditional look of the mini, and he is a fan of pistons. It depends on what you want to do with the rifle. He shoots the mini at 50yards with irons. I scoped my AR and shoot it from 15 to 200 yards.

Have you had a chance to shoot a mini-14?

Get what you want, what you can afford considering ammo, training, cleaning supplies, mags, optics etc...At the end of the day the platform will matter much less than the shooter.

I personally prefer the AR. I think there are some minimual but tangable tactical advatanges in ergonomics, accuracy and upgradability (is that word;-)

That said, I'll take a guy at my back who knows how to run a mini-14 over some chump with the swetest AR ever and has little idea how to use it any day.

People focus so much on hardware. Its really so much less important that platform knowledge and skills. Every gun has strengths and weakness. Learn them and how to use them. the mini 14 is a fine platform and so much less hassle then a "black rifle".

Amurr

First of all, thank you so much for all the responses. This forum truly is a godsend. Without all of your input, who knows what i'd do.

With that being said, I think i've decided on the AR. I just can't seem to argue with the fact that it is a better platform, or with the fact that there are so many parts/upgrades/etc for it. I'm still at a loss for which one i am going to go with. However, i'll do my research and I think i have a couple of you I can lean on with any questions! lol.. Hell, with all the help i seem to be getting from you guys, i'm even considering building one now. hahaha

@Sixtytwo.. yup Caso's Gunarama was where i was at.

If you are looking for a well built "fighting" rifle that is of high quality and built to military specifications, and isn't going to break the bank, look at the Bravo Company and Daniel Defense websites. Spikes Tactical is another good choice. Consider the mid-length gas system as a nice compromise between the carbine and full length. If you are looking for a super accurate, long distance paper puncher, I will let others chime in. I know White Oak makes nice precision uppers.

@Sixtytwo.. yup Caso's Gunarama was where i was at.

Sounds right - are some people there who work there who are really into AR and everything military, while others are strict traditionalists (wood hunting rifles / clay guns only). Great place though; I bought a few guns from them and I've always gotten good advice. Good luck with your choice.

Mini is a fine gun, but personally I'd pick an AR as my first SA rifle. So many more options are open to you. Even if you buy a basic one today, you can easily upgrade it or even rebuild an entirely new AR by just re-using the lower.

After that, if you still want the traditional look with wood, save up and go for a Springfield M1A as your next purchase. :)

I'm still at a loss for which one i am going to go with. .

once you know what the application is, suggestions for a build should be fairly simple.. for example.. "precision paper puncher" would benefit from a nice smooth $200 trigger.. but a run and gun center mass AR.. probably doesn't need one..

Good luck OP. Built my 1st AR lower a few months ago and knew nothing about it prior. After a few beers and about 2 hrs, i had a DIY pinned stock and a fully put together lower. Dont fret over not knowing, learn as you go. You will be happy you at least put the lower together yourself. Much easier to clean when you know how everything works. Then just buy the upper that fits your need. You gotta figure out what you want your rifle to do. Long distance with some glass? Lighter weight/shorter barrel? You have many options!

First rule of thumb is do your research before you walk into a gun store. The counter jockeys are some of the least informed/most misinformed gun people out there. If we listened to them everyone would be walking around with kimbers and DPMS Panther rifles.

This.. Mini's HAD issues with accuracy, there was a time when if you were LUCKY a standard Min-14 would shoot Minute-of-Barn Supposedly those issues have been addressed and the current ones are decently accurate. What ti comes down to, is trying to find someone who has one, and shooting a few rounds through it to see if you LIKE it..Nothing worse than dropping a few hundred dollars on a firearm you end up hating.