RecessedFilter

Let's plan an EFGA meet-up...

Change of plans for me, I'm heading out there today in an hour or so. Trap shooting at Fairfield on Thursday with the Gun For Hire guys. Might head back to EFGA this weekend or early next week. I'll be the guy with the burgundy Jeep.

Had a pretty good time on Saturday. Spent a few hours with the Mosquito and M&P 15-22 going through about 400 rounds.

Wad there with a bunch of people when the RO called a cold range to talk to us about something that was discussed in their last meeting. Apparently they're thinking about having all members, old and new, go through a mandatory 2 hour orientation type class just to go over the range rules. Not a class to go over gun safety or how to handle your firearm, but a 2 HOUR class to go over the range rules alone. Things like where you can park, review proper range procedures like how to call a cold range, and everything else they have in their range rules. This is just talk right now and the RO was just trying to get a feel for what some members thought. The general consensus was "sure, not a problem, but 2 HOURS?". I have no problem going over the rules because they ensure all members stay safe and have a good time. I just don't know how much content they'll have to fill a full 2 hours. One thing they have to consider is that there are a lot of members that come in from NJ. For me, it's a 1 hour drive to get there so if they do proceed to have these mandatory classes, I just hope hey schedule some on the weekends as well.

I was there today and there was a RO. He identified us as from NJ immediately based on the locks we had on our bags. The RO was very nice. It was super helpful to have a RO inform you of when the range is about to go cold. He inspected each rifle was empty and safe to ensure everyone was safe when they went down range to check their targets. After everyone came back, he checked with everyone to ensure they were happy with their targets and then informed everyone there that the range was hot. He also informed members of which station was empty and called the range cold so new members just coming in would have a chance to put up their targets. We were off to the side so we did not really notice when new people were showing up so it was helpful that he called the range cold.

It is helpful to have knowledgeable ROs but 2 hrs of instruction seems awfully long. I have to admit that many people do not read the range rules. I think they should have just some quick signs with some basic rules. That would really help. An example is the sign about parking right outside the rifle range where you can only park there to unload or load your car or the one in the pit where you can only use shotguns or pistol calibers.

2 hours is probably goong tobe 1 hr or less. They have a problem there with rule breakers and no one to enforce them on the spot. So i think that they just want to tell you and you confirm that you know and will abide.

I m sure that there are more than 1000 members and it would take a million hrs for this to get done....

We ll see.

I was there today and there was a RO. He identified us as from NJ immediately based on the locks we had on our bags.

Huh?

A 2-hour class in range rules is absurd. Anyone who has an issue following range rules should be given a warning, and have membership revoked on a second occurance.

maybe they caught wind of the infamous "pistol throwing" incident? Some of the RO's there go a tad overboard some times, but otherwise, I've never witnessed anything excess on the part of either the RO or members. Most of the time I see members policing each other, or no need to do so at all.

Missed the part about not discussing it anymore. Can't imagine why that should be swept under the rug. I didn't follow it to the end though.

I completely agree about not sweeping that kind of incident under the rug, but I guess that was really dangerous and should be punished type of incident and made it into an example. But that's not up to us to decide.

I will be there again this Saturday(noon) with another possible prospect(new member). Personally I have never had an incident or witnessed one at the range. Everybody has been really friendly to me and my guests.

Hope to meet more of you gentlemen out there someday.

One day I'll run into you there. We live a mile apart so maybe we've already bumped into each other before and not even known it.

Very true, we probably did. I'm always out and about specially football Sundays, I tour " ALL Bars" on Central and Northern Jersey always looking for a honey hole or a nice chill spot to watch football. I found one a couple weeks ago in Linden called Central Park, a very nice and modern place!

I will definitely be at EFGA Saturday morning, with 2 piston system AR's and another shotty to try out and yes I will also be with a glock 22(yuck) not mine.

Well I finally took the plunge and bought a nice Enfield at the oaks gun show this weekend. Looks like I'll be making a trip to sarco this week after work to join. Then if its not too dark heading to throw some rounds through my new toy. Anyone free to meet me at sarco around 430 then go shoot after? I'd feel much better if there was someone there to kinda show me around and introduce me to a new to me range.

Well I finally took the plunge and bought a nice Enfield at the oaks gun show this weekend. Looks like I'll be making a trip to sarco this week after work to join. Then if its not too dark heading to throw some rounds through my new toy. Anyone free to meet me at sarco around 430 then go shoot after? I'd feel much better if there was someone there to kinda show me around and introduce me to a new to me range.

I m thinking of going to EFGA tomorrow in the afternoon. Are you thinking of going tomorrow 10/9 ? Can meetup at Sarco at 4.30

I was there today and there was a RO. He identified us as from NJ immediately based on the locks we had on our bags. The RO was very nice. It was super helpful to have a RO inform you of when the range is about to go cold. He inspected each rifle was empty and safe to ensure everyone was safe when they went down range to check their targets. After everyone came back, he checked with everyone to ensure they were happy with their targets and then informed everyone there that the range was hot. He also informed members of which station was empty and called the range cold so new members just coming in would have a chance to put up their targets. We were off to the side so we did not really notice when new people were showing up so it was helpful that he called the range cold.

It is helpful to have knowledgeable ROs but 2 hrs of instruction seems awfully long. I have to admit that many people do not read the range rules. I think they should have just some quick signs with some basic rules. That would really help. An example is the sign about parking right outside the rifle range where you can only park there to unload or load your car or the one in the pit where you can only use shotguns or pistol calibers.

Few months ago one of the ROs I was chatting with said they have over 3,000 members. Getting all members to take a 2 hours class, especially those who have been long time members, is a logistics nightmare and not all that realistic.

While I'm still a newbie, it seems the rules are pretty straight forward and mostly common sense and common courtesy. They are posted on the website and I think shortened reminders are posted in shooting areas. A good idea may be to have short videos created simulating areas of concern and posting them to the website for anyone to review.

While I've only been a member for about 3 months I've had nothing but great experiences at EFGA and am looking forward to having many more. I try to get out there about twice a month. May be heading out there this weekend depending on if I can kick this chest cold.