Sign in to follow this  
gunguynj

Recommend my first semi auto

So I have only shot revolvers to date and it makes sense to get a semi auto at this point. Here is my requirements:

1) Ammo must be affordable

2) Ammo must be easily purchased/available

3) Does not need to be carry friendly

4)Im not caliber specific

5) Fun to shoot

6)reasonably priced

I Have considered a Beretta 92 as my choice based on reliability and affordability.

Any suggestions?

STI Spartan in 9mm! A quality piece, nicely made, reliable. A single-action 1911 that has the same "feel" as a .45, but it cost about half as much to feed!

Learn how to work a gun in Condition One and you'll appreciate why 1911's are so popular even after 100 continuous years of availability!

Besides, do you really want to start getting involved with a DA "first-pull" and then SA after that? As a Wheelgunner, every time you cock the hammer back on one of the revolvers, you're already used to single-action trigger pulls........

Dave

I just recently got a Spartan in 9mm. I also have a 1911 in 45. I love the 1911 style pistol. The Spartan is a great shooting gun right out of the box and it has been all I've shot recently. So I agree with the above statement, get one and you will be very happy. I also put a 22 conversion kit on it and it shoots great with that also.

Most semi auto handguns are in the $500-700 price range. Higher than that are Sig's, HK's to name a few.

9mm handgun hands down will be perfect for your uses and wants.

Now just go out to a couple gun shops and feel some pistols and see what you like!

I second (or third) the Beretta 92. You can't go wrong with that gun and as an added bonus, you can buy the Beretta .22LR conversion kit and shoot cheap .22 ammo. If 9mm is cheap, .22 is cheaper.

What revolver(s) do you have? I bought a Beretta 96FS to share the same ammo as my S&W 610. I also bought a S&W 625 to go along with my S/A 1911.

9mm and .40 ammo is very, very common and available in a LOT of different loadings. What do you want to do with the gun? I found a place selling .40 minor loads which are really nice to shoot compared to standard .40 loads and was about $240 delivered to my door (1K rounds).

I just recently got a Spartan in 9mm. I also have a 1911 in 45. I love the 1911 style pistol. The Spartan is a great shooting gun right out of the box and it has been all I've shot recently. So I agree with the above statement, get one and you will be very happy. I also put a 22 conversion kit on it and it shoots great with that also.

Did you put the 22conversion kit on the 9mm Spartan? Was it a kit make for it, or is it just a standard 1911 conversion kit?

Check out a few of the threads posted here about the Walther PPQ. At least hold it in your hands when you visit your local store...there's a few ppl here who can give you the details if you decide you're interested.

Did you put the 22conversion kit on the 9mm Spartan? Was it a kit make for it, or is it just a standard 1911 conversion kit?

I did put the kit on the spartan. I got the Advantage Arms commander kit. So far it's been great. 500 or so rounds.

What revolver(s) do you have? I bought a Beretta 96FS to share the same ammo as my S&W 610. I also bought a S&W 625 to go along with my S/A 1911.

9mm and .40 ammo is very, very common and available in a LOT of different loadings. What do you want to do with the gun? I found a place selling .40 minor loads which are really nice to shoot compared to standard .40 loads and was about $240 delivered to my door (1K rounds).

Care to share this source?

+1 on this...

Get a 1911 .22 conversion kit if you want to shoot cheaper then 9mm.

STI Spartan in 9mm! A quality piece, nicely made, reliable. A single-action 1911 that has the same "feel" as a .45, but it cost about half as much to feed!

Learn how to work a gun in Condition One and you'll appreciate why 1911's are so popular even after 100 continuous years of availability!

Besides, do you really want to start getting involved with a DA "first-pull" and then SA after that? As a Wheelgunner, every time you cock the hammer back on one of the revolvers, you're already used to single-action trigger pulls........

Dave

So I have only shot revolvers to date and it makes sense to get a semi auto at this point. Here is my requirements: 1) Ammo must be affordable 2) Ammo must be easily purchased/available 3) Does not need to be carry friendly 4)Im not caliber specific 5) Fun to shoot 6)reasonably priced I Have considered a Beretta 92 as my choice based on reliability and affordability. Any suggestions?

Beretta 92 is a great gun. Also check out a Glock 19 another fantastic weapon, and easy to clean. My average cost per round is running 23 cents.

For ammo price, unless you go .22 you should probably stick with 9mm. There's almost always plenty of it and it's the cheapest of the "larger bore" ammo.

For a nice pistol that is underpriced, check out the Sig SP2022 in 9mm or (if you want to spend more on ammo) .40 cal. They are on Bud's right now for under $450. I've had one for about 6 years (paid a lot more for it too) and it's a solid performer, it's a Sig, and it is a pleasure to shoot.

Glock 19 and here's why...

• Proven reliability
  • Affordable
  • Decently accurate
  • 9mm - as effective a caliber you need out of a handgun, and economical to shoot
  • Simple to operate as you only need to use the mag release button and slide release level. No safety, and no silly DA/SA trigger pull transitions to worry about
  • Easy to clean
  • Easy to modify and maintain on your own
  • Lots of options as far as parts go

So I have only shot revolvers to date and it makes sense to get a semi auto at this point. Here is my requirements:

1) Ammo must be affordable

That would be a .22LR semi-auto. But, as far as center-fire handguns go, 9mm would be next.

2) Ammo must be easily purchased/available

.22LR or 9mm

3) Does not need to be carry friendly

A larger, more comfortable handgun would be nice.

4)Im not caliber specific

Well, if you are looking for availability and price, then in a way you are.

5) Fun to shoot

Avoid a snub-nose revolver or a zippy little semi-auto, then. Again, I would focus on either .22LR Or 9mm.

6)reasonably priced

I Have considered a Beretta 92 as my choice based on reliability and affordability.

New Berettas are not cheap. You might find a nice used one. If you are willing to spend that much, then you have many choices.

Any suggestions?

If you are considering a .22LR, I would look at either a Bersa Thunder .22, Ruger Mark III, or Browning Buckmark. If you so desire, a S&W M&P 22 or a Ruger 22/45 might be nice.

As far as 9mms go, I would make an attempt to try the following: Your choice of Beretta would be fine, especially if you have large hand, but I would prefer a CZ 75B of some kind over it for just pure range fun. A stainless CZ 75B would be awesome, as well as a CZ 75B in single action. Either one of these would be my first choice for you if one could be found, maybe followed by an Armalite AR-24 (CZ clone). A broken-in CZ 75 is a beautiful thing.

Next, I would consider either a Browing Hi Power, Baby Eagle II full or semi-compact.

On a budget, I would look into a Stoeger Cougar 8000 or a Ruger SR9/SR9C.

There are plenty of polymers out there. But, in full-size handguns, you may be limited to one with a 10-round magazine. You cannot go wrong with a Glock 17 or a full-size M&P. OR, even a polymer Baby Eagle II, or a CZ polymer of some sort.

Food for thought... fun shooting and incredibly accurate: CZ 75B, versatility... of course the Glock 19.

The STI Spartan that was previously suggested might be really nice, especially with a reliable .22 conversion kit. And, if you really considered a Beretta, but you are budget-sensitive, then check out the Taurus PT92, especially the stainless model.

I bought a Beretta 92FS Inox for my first and I couldn't be happier. Handles like a gem. Not 1 FTF or FTE through 400 rounds

I also own an M&P .22, and it is definitely a fun gun. It's full size is nice and it comes with a 12 round mag. I ordered 2 more from S&W. It's light and fairly accurate and also has an adjustable rear sight.

My wife just picked up a Sig P239 .40 with the Rainbow slide.. And I gotta say.. I'm impressed with the Sig. Not only is the titanium beautiful to look at, It shoots like a monster. It came with night sights, which is a nice touch. Very solid pistol.

I can only attest to what I own and I would recommend any of them.... especially the Beretta w/ a Hogue Wrap-Around Finger Groove grip.

If one shops around one can usually find decent pricing on .40cal ammo, so I'd look at the Springfield XDM if I were you.

I'm very happy with the reliability, accuracy and construction of mine, and they are very competitively-priced now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.