Was in gun store yesterday,they were talking about state leges. kicking around idea of releaving local pd of issueing p2p andfid.Going to a different system much better then what we have now,anyone shed more light on this?

Was in gun store yesterday,they were talking about state leges. kicking around idea of releaving local pd of issueing p2p andfid.Going to a different system much better then what we have now,anyone shed more light on this?

That would be nice, how about just a NICS check at the point of sale??? Wow, what a novel idea...

By the way, don't start holding your breath for this to happen.

Did you join in the conversation and ask them what they were talking about?

Back in February when I took my FL/UT CCW class, the LEO doing the finger prints told me NJ was going to go with a photo ID good for pistols and long guns. Of course, until I see it with my own eyes, it's just a rumor. While it's not the right way, it is better than what we have now.

Honestly, i don't see why they wouldn't. They system is just as much a burden on them as it is on us. I'm sure LE has been pushing this for some time now, its just NJ legislation that is hindering it. I know my PD is very pro gun, they hate the system, say its such a waste of time and money....

Back in February when I took my FL/UT CCW class, the LEO doing the finger prints told me NJ was going to go with a photo ID good for pistols and long guns. Of course, until I see it with my own eyes, it's just a rumor. While it's not the right way, it is better than what we have now.

Sounds like the Illinois FOID system. One card is just needed to buy pistols and rifles...(and ammo). There are still waiting periods for both long gun (24 hours) and a pistol purchases (72 hours) . But it sounds like a step up from the antiquated 1966 Sills Act.

For those interested how the Illinois system works

http://www.isp.state...firearmsfaq.cfm

Like NJ, Black powder guns there are considered a firearm. Illinois started their FID system back in 1968, some say from inspiration from the NJ FID law of 1966.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is a FOID card?

The FOID card was created in 1968, by the FOID Act, as a way to identify those persons eligible to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition as part of a public safety initiative in the State of Illinois.

Who needs a FOID card?

Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name.

Where can I obtain a FOID application?

A FOID application can be downloaded from the Illinois State Police website at www.isp.state.il.us or applications may be obtained at most retail stores where firearms are sold.

As stated on the FOID application, the FOID processing fee is $10.00 and is non-refundable.

With recent changes to the FOID application, what new information am I required to provide?

Each applicant for a FOID card who is over the age of 18 shall furnish to the Department of State Police either his or her Illinois driver's license number or Illinois Identification Card number.

The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date the applications are received.

Do I have to sign my FOID card?

Yes. The statute (430 ILCS 65/6(a)) states the contents of a FOID card "shall contain the applicant's name, residence, date of birth, sex, physical description, recent photograph, and signature".

How long is my FOID card valid?

Unless otherwise prohibited, a FOID card shall be valid for a period of 10 years from the date of issuance

Will I receive a notice that my FOID card will expire?

Yes. The Department of State Police shall, 60 days prior to the expiration of a FOID card, forward by first class mail an application which may be used to apply for renewal of the card. It is the obligation of the holder of a FOID card to notify the Department of State Police of any address change since the issuance of the FOID card.

There is a proposal waiting for a bill number that will eliminate the P2P coming from the PD. Forms will still need to be filled out however it will take place at the FFL. I have heard that since it is state budget season in Trenton that the issue will not move forward till the beginning of the next session.