Bully

Picked up a Marlin 336 in 30-30!!!...

... but she's pretty rough. Got a decent price considering what was thrown in on top of the rifle.

She was a boat gun. Got a lot of rusty-crusty on the barrel and magazine tube. Forearm screw was so bad that I needed to tig a bolt to it to get it out. Couple of dings in the stock. However the bore looks great. Musta been on the boat for the zomibie attack that never happened. So, now I'm gonna fix her up.

Got her all apart and the barrel is clean of rust and Testor's paint that served as impromptu bluing. Gonna sand the magazine tube free of paint in the next day or two. Might try my hand at silver soldering, ghetto style, to fill the pits. Then, it'll be a coat of paint to freshen everything up. Maybe Duracote. Not sure which direction I'm going to go on that just yet. Plan to strip the stocks as well and refinish them, too. Maybe darken them up.

Reassemble.

Shoot.

Wish me luck.

C

I would love to post pics, however my camera and my computer are in the midst of a breakup, I think, and therefore aren't speaking with one another.

I did order a set of screws, in nickel, from Marlin the other day. Great customer service!! Donna looked up all the parts numbers for me since there were about 10 of them and they don't sell a kit. Took my CC info and I was off and running in about 10 minutes. Just awesome.

Thanks for watching.

C

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19030-restoring-old-rifle-advice/

Hey C- you're gonna have a lot of fun bringing an old shooter back to life! Look at the pics on posts #17 & 18 on a old Mossberg 22 that my dad got in 1954 that was another ole rusty-crusty to see what a lot of elbow grease can do. Nothing like the feeling of finishing it then taking it out to visit the range. Enjoy.

I'm really looking forward to bringing it to life. She'll never look like she walked out of the factory, but I'm ok with that. And, she's not my first centerfire, I have a Marlin 1894c .38/.357 that I absolutely LOVE. Like JohnP said, I have a thing for lever guns.

I took some pics and my wife is going to put them in my photobucket, so I should be able to share them later today, the before, that is. The barrel has been sanded of the paint that was on it and you can see how pitted it is. I think I may try to silver solder the pits to fill them, sand smooth, and paint. That's the plan for the moment.

C

http://njgunforums.c...d-rifle-advice/

Hey C- you're gonna have a lot of fun bringing an old shooter back to life! Look at the pics on posts #17 & 18 on a old Mossberg 22 that my dad got in 1954 that was another ole rusty-crusty to see what a lot of elbow grease can do. Nothing like the feeling of finishing it then taking it out to visit the range. Enjoy.

Hey Siderman.

Just read your thread. Really cool. Would love to see pics of it assembled. Feel free to post them here. I'm not all that protective of my threads.

C

HAHAHAHA!!! My pan gets taken care of by a pro. I'm a schlub when it comes to that. It does look like I might be able to fire it up sunday evening if anyone wants to swing by.

I will try and post pics of the silver solder. I'm thinking propane torch with plumbers solder should do the trick. We'll see, though.

C

Silver solder idea didn't pan out. I tried. Probably missing something. Anyway, I hit it with a DA and some 320 and it smoothed everything out pretty well. I think I might just Krylon this thing and put it together. I'll run it to the range and put some rounds thru it. As long as it works, that'll be good enough for me.

C

Silver solder idea didn't pan out. I tried. Probably missing something. Anyway, I hit it with a DA and some 320 and it smoothed everything out pretty well. I think I might just Krylon this thing and put it together. I'll run it to the range and put some rounds thru it. As long as it works, that'll be good enough for me.

C

Before you out her together or Krylon it check out a few places and see what the folks here say to do to finisher her off before you put any coating on it.

Plus I'm interested in seeing what people have to say and what you find out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

Before you out her together or Krylon it check out a few places and see what the folks here say to do to finisher her off before you put any coating on it.

C

Age getting to you harry. Posting things 3 times. Getting forgetful lol

iPad and it didn't go through, well at least when I was trying to send kept getting a tapatalk server error.

Guess third time was the charm. :)

Age getting to you harry. Posting things 3 times. Getting forgetful lol

iPad and it didn't go through, well at least when I was trying to send kept getting a tapatalk server error.

Guess third time was the charm. :)