9supratt4

Yet another transport question

With the fear of having to read the many posts about...use the search function, read the sticky, etc....I'm going to post this anyway.

If I am reading everything on here correctly....is it illegal for me to take my rifle and handgun to my mother-in-law's house, which I will be staying at for the weekend, and taking both guns to a range local to her? I know the rifle is not a problem, but what I am reading, it looks like I am not allowed to take the handgun to her house at all??

With the fear of having to read the many posts about...use the search function, read the sticky, etc....I'm going to post this anyway.

If I am reading everything on here correctly....is it illegal for me to take my rifle and handgun to my mother-in-law's house, which I will be staying at for the weekend, and taking both guns to a range local to her? I know the rifle is not a problem, but what I am reading, it looks like I am not allowed to take the handgun to her house at all??

Correct. To and from the range(with reasonable deviations) other then that, HGs must be kept at your place of residence.

But there is no law against how far you are travelling to a range, correct?? So I can drive down with the HG to the range near her house and have her meet me there?

And what is your end goal? Meet your mother in the range parking lot? Talk briefly, go shoot at the range, and drive home?

I am not a lawyer.

The real problem is that we have no idea whether it is illegal or not. It's the "reasonable deviation" part. Would your deviation be "reasonable" to a Jury?

Technically, we don't even know if stopping for gas is "reasonable."

I don't think I would do it. But there is one other option. We have an entire forum of members here. I'm sure that somebody here belongs to the range near you. Put a message up in the forum and ask for somebody to meet you at the range with a handgun that is similar to yours. Buy him a box of ammo for his troubles. Now everybody is happy. I'll even make you an offer. If your mother in law lives down near the Cherry Hill area, I'll meet you guys at Range 14, Ft. Dix or a range in Philly if she wants to shoot handgun. PM me if this is an option for you.

I am not a lawyer.

The real problem is that we have no idea whether it is illegal or not. It's the "reasonable deviation" part. Would your deviation be "reasonable" to a Jury?

Technically, we don't even know if stopping for gas is "reasonable."

I don't think I would do it. But there is one other option. We have an entire forum of members here. I'm sure that somebody here belongs to the range near you. Put a message up in the forum and ask for somebody to meet you at the range with a handgun that is similar to yours. Buy him a box of ammo for his troubles. Now everybody is happy. I'll even make you an offer. If your mother in law lives down near the Cherry Hill area, I'll meet you guys at Range 14, Ft. Dix or a range in Philly if she wants to shoot handgun. PM me if this is an option for you.

THat's pretty funny...she lives in Washington Township/Turnersville.

THat's pretty funny...she lives in Washington Township/Turnersville.

That's not far from me. If you want to meet at Ft. Dix, I can make it happen if you give me a day and time. Her handgun choices will be limited to Beretta 92FS, PX4 and 1911, though. I can throw a .22LR adapter on the Beretta 92. The offer stands if you are interested. I just have to make sure that day is clear with my wife and we don't have any family plans Oh, heck, twist my arm and make me go to Ft. Dix and shoot.

So are you saying if I go on vacation for example down the shore and if I have a valid FID card I can bring my rifle with me and stay in a hotel room??

I think if you go on vacation and get a hotel room, you can bring a rifle. I think you can probably bring a handgun as well. For all intents and purposes, that hotel room becomes your residence. I know that people who shoot Appleseed events and hunt in NJ stay at hotels.

I think if you go on vacation and get a hotel room, you can bring a rifle. I think you can probably bring a handgun as well. For all intents and purposes, that hotel room becomes your residence. I know that people who shoot Appleseed events and hunt in NJ stay at hotels.

Do a forum search on that, I thought this was discussed in the past and the general consensus was 'HG in hotelroom was a no go'.

May I expand the question one bit without hijacking the thread too much? You own a second home, say it is a shore home. Can you bring your guns with you if you are staying the summer (I know actual time spent is irrelevant)? Move this one step farther, say you own a 40' boat and it is your summer home? It meets the criteria of a second home for legal and tax purposes. Can you keep your firearms on it while you are living on it?

May I expand the question one bit without hijacking the thread too much? You own a second home, say it is a shore home. Can you bring your guns with you if you are staying the summer (I know actual time spent is irrelevant)? Move this one step farther, say you own a 40' boat and it is your summer home? It meets the criteria of a second home for legal and tax purposes. Can you keep your firearms on it while you are living on it?

Yes. "Owned or possessed", makes it legal.

So are you saying if I go on vacation for example down the shore and if I have a valid FID card I can bring my rifle with me and stay in a hotel room??

If you follow the statutes, and keep your rifle in the trunk of the car, in a securely tied package, case, etc., you can transport it from range to range, and you can even bring a long gun on vacation to say, shoot sporting clays or go plinking or to a WMA (if you have a hunting license to use said area). So the short answer is YES, if you have a NJFID it's your passport to bring a long gun with you. Just don't drive onto a school grounds with it in your trunk, or you're in trouble again, lol!

Have fun on vacation!