Johnny

Thinking of adding .357 revolver, any recommendations?

Sorry Duppie, no Model 27. Most of my stuff is post-1980 and most of it is pre-lock. Betcha Pizza Bob and/or Dave may have one though.

The "normal" .38 Special is whimpier than a 9mm cartridge. A .357 Magnum on the other hand is a whole 'nother story!

Just hold-out for a .357, you will not regret it. Try to get a S&W if you can, there are a LOT of different models in .357, gotta decide what you like. The Model 686 is probably the most common one to find and still in production. You will find of ton of them used. If you want a blued gun look for a 586, they don't seem to be as common to find though.

Sorry Duppie, no Model 27. Most of my stuff is post-1980 and most of it is pre-lock. Betcha Pizza Bob and/or Dave may have one though.

The "normal" .38 Special is whimpier than a 9mm cartridge. A .357 Magnum on the other hand is a whole 'nother story!

Just hold-out for a .357, you will not regret it. Try to get a S&W if you can, there are a LOT of different models in .357, gotta decide what you like. The Model 686 is probably the most common one to find and still in production. You will find of ton of them used. If you want a blued gun look for a 586, they don't seem to be as common to find though.

Well then I will exclude .38 alone as an option. I would be looking for a step up from a 9mm. I will do some serious looking into a S&W. The more I think of it I feel like money would be better invested in a good firearm than the stock market. I may look to use that permit before it runs out after all. RTSP's site say they rent the Ruger Nighthawk and S&W Highway Patrol both .357. Perhaps I will try them out tomorrow to get a feel for the .357. Know of any places that rent a 686?

Well then I will exclude .38 alone as an option. I would be looking for a step up from a 9mm. I will do some serious looking into a S&W. The more I think of it I feel like money would be better invested in a good firearm than the stock market. I may look to use that permit before it runs out after all. RTSP's site say they rent the Ruger Nighthawk and S&W Highway Patrol both .357. Perhaps I will try them out tomorrow to get a feel for the .357. Know of any places that rent a 686?

The Smith & Wesson Highway Patrolman is the Model 28 I believe. Cousin to the Model 27, which is finished fancier with a nicer bluing. Both guns are built on the S&W "N" Frame, like my Model 29 in .44 Magnum.

686's are popular, and someone should rent one. OR just join a private club and stand-up at a meeting and introduce yourself and say what you want to try before you buy, and there might be a line forming to talk to you at the end of the meeting. Why rent when you can play Show & tell & Shoot at a Club? Just put your rental money towards the dues.......

There's over 80 years of experience between Smokin' 50 and I and not much difference in advice.

A 4" 357 is about the best do it all handgun you can get. A 4" is big enough to shoot well but not too big to conceal. It gives enough barrel for the round to pick up velocity and is common on the used market. The six inch gives a disadvantage as a HD gun as if you get into a grappling match where the BG gets hold of the barrel you're giving him 50% more leverage with that 6". A wide range of ammo is available as factory loads and as reloading components.

A Ruger GP100 or S&W L frame would be my first choice. If you want a K frame size 357 I'd look for a Ruger Speed/Security Six (only availble used) over a S&W. The Smith has a better trigger but the Ruger Six is light years more durable than the S& W K frame in documented unbiased tests. I'm not saying K frame S&Ws are junk. My usual EDC is a 2 1/2" S&W Model 66. I usually load it with a 158 SWC +P that gives me almost the performance of a 357 load with none of the problems. I've read that the issue with S&W K frames is use of lightweight (110-125 gr) loads which expose thel area in front of the cylinder to excessive pressure causing cracked forcing cones and flame cutting of the top strap. I shot a Smith Model 19 and 66 into expensive fishing sinkers in a relatively short period of time.

These are not issues I've experienced with Taurus K frame size revolvers. I have two 669s a 4" blue and 6" stainless. I've had the 4" for almost 25 years. I paid $85 for it new at the gun club at Fort Huachuca so that was money well spent. So yes I would highly recommend a Taurus. You could probably find a new one in your price range. I own 2 other Taurus handguns and I would buy any Taurus that met my needs.

There's over 80 years of experience between Smokin' 50 and I and not much difference in advice.

A 4" 357 is about the best do it all handgun you can get. A 4" is big enough to shoot well but not too big to conceal. It gives enough barrel for the round to pick up velocity and is common on the used market. The six inch gives a disadvantage as a HD gun as if you get into a grappling match where the BG gets hold of the barrel you're giving him 50% more leverage with that 6". A wide range of ammo is available as factory loads and as reloading components.

A Ruger GP100 or S&W L frame would be my first choice. If you want a K frame size 357 I'd look for a Ruger Speed/Security Six (only availble used) over a S&W. The Smith has a better trigger but the Ruger Six is light years more durable than the S& W K frame in documented unbiased tests. I'm not saying K frame S&Ws are junk. My usual EDC is a 2 1/2" S&W Model 66. I usually load it with a 158 SWC +P that gives me almost the performance of a 357 load with none of the problems. I've read that the issue with S&W K frames is use of lightweight (110-125 gr) loads which expose thel area in front of the cylinder to excessive pressure causing cracked forcing cones and flame cutting of the top strap. I shot a Smith Model 19 and 66 into expensive fishing sinkers in a relatively short period of time.

These are not issues I've experienced with Taurus K frame size revolvers. I have two 669s a 4" blue and 6" stainless. I've had the 4" for almost 25 years. I paid $85 for it new at the gun club at Fort Huachuca so that was money well spent. So yes I would highly recommend a Taurus. You could probably find a new one in your price range. I own 2 other Taurus handguns and I would buy any Taurus that met my needs.

I like your comments about the 4" barrel. It makes good sense for my wants/needs. That's what I was leaning towards and I think I will keep it that way. It's good to know the L frame would be a better choice than a K. All of this helps me greatly in narrowing down my options. Looks like the 686 is an L frame. From what I can tell from the S&W site the 686 and 686 Plus are almost the same. The plus has an extra round and is a little under an ounce lighter. Any other differences? As far as new vs. used, what sort of price difference might I be looking at? Will there be some sort of S&W warranty on a used gun (if I go S&W that is) in case there was a problem? It didn't take me long to justify this purchase, I had myself at "investment". I would certainly go higher than my initial $400 limit to get what I want providing it atleast held most of its value. I have my doubts that stocks will at this point.

Go back and read some of the posts - a .38 Spl +P is pretty potent - no need to exclude .38 Spls. They can be had within your price range. Especially fixed sight versions - although I'm partial to adjustable rears. Lots of police trade-ins out there for very reasonable prices. All S&W' K frames from 1957 to the present are rated for +P ammo.

I think you mean Ruger Blackhawk, as that is the only "hawk" made in .357. That is a single-action revolver (cowboy type revolver), nothing wrong with that, but not my first choice for a revolver for HD. The Model 28 (Highway Patrolman) however, is a great gun. It is a BIG gun and as such shrugs off the effects of .357 ammo.

As for the speculation - I do not own a model 27. I only own 4 revolvers in the .38.357 family - a 1.875" model 638, a 6" model19, a 4" model15 and an 8" Dan Wesson 15-2V. I do have a model 28, but it is no longer a .357, it was long ago converted to .44 Special.

Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Johnny,

My go-to gun for IDPA is my 586 S&W with 4" tube in a cant-forward leather holster by Mitch Rosen. I had an action job done to it, otherwise it's out-of-the-box. Right now I can sell it for more than I paid for it.

Once you buy your "L" frame, the lure of a "N" frame will be overwhelming, so don't say I didn't warn you, lol!

If you need one of us to check-out a good used one that you're thinking about, somebody here will step-up.......so enjoy the hunt!

Dave

I stopped in at The Heritage Guild in Branchburg today and checked out the 686. They had a 4" and a 6" and it reaffirmed my idea that I would want a 4". The gun felt GREAT in my hand. There was nothing about it that made me think I didn't really like it. It was the 686 Plus so it had a 7th round. New, they wanted $775. They also had a used 686 Plus for $625 but it had a 6" barrel. Maybe I will get lucky and win the Glock 19. If so it will go straight to the marketplace to get money towards a .357. Thank you to all for the input and helping me narrow down my options. Now I just need to fire one to be sure I want it. Aftert that I will start the looking process. Is $775 a decent price or could I do much better? I would certainly use the price request when I am ready. As far as buying used goes, it would have to be in the area of $200 less than new for me to really consider it. I have, and intend to continue to, take very good care of my guns. If I do get a .357 it wouldn't be used much and I would like it to hold good value in case I chose to sell it for some reason. It sounds like the 686 would be a good choice as long as it is good condition.

Just a side note - If you even have an inkling that you are going to use the revolver for IDPA or USPSA, you are restricted to loading only six rounds - PITA to load a seven chambered revolver with six rounds and index it properly, when you are ina hurry. On the plus side for seven-shooters is that they can be used for steel and I believe ICORE - although that is something I have yet to explore. A seven shot cylinder is also stronger due to the fact that the bolt notch cuts are between chambers not on top of them as the are in a six or eight round revolver.

Just some things for you to ponder.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I -may- be selling my S&W M19-5, since my M65 is virtually the same gun but in a slightly more elegant package, and the M19 is the "blued sheep" in my collection of stainless wheelguns. If you'd be interested send me a PM and I'll take some photos.

I -may- be selling my S&W M19-5, since my M65 is virtually the same gun but in a slightly more elegant package, and the M19 is the "blued sheep" in my collection of stainless wheelguns. If you'd be interested send me a PM and I'll take some photos.

Sorry to nitpick, but...

Model 19 = Model 66

Model 13 = Model 65

13 & 65 are fixed sight gun / 19 & 66 have adjustable rears. 19 & 13 are blued. 65 & 66 are SS. They are all K-Frames.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

@ Pizza Bob - No worries, but I'm well aware of the differences - that's why I said "virtually the same gun but in a slightly more elegant package", i.e. fixed sights so less to snag/fiddle with, and no lug over the ejector rod. Aside from the sight picture, they feel the same in hand when shooting - still a 4" barreled K-frame with weight/balance close enough to make no matter.

I want to thank everyone for their input with this topic. After some serious thought I decided to get a S&W Model 686. I picked it up this afternoon and went straight to the range. I LOVE THIS GUN! I couldn't be happier with it. I honestly feel that if I went with a Taurus I wouldn't be this happy. I may have liked it very much but I would have been wishing I went with the S&W. I didn't want that to happen so I talked myself into the 686. This one is "The American Series".

Interesting, a non-fluted 686, have not seen one until now, nice. I have two non-fluters myself, maybe I need to locate a 686 without flutes.........A collection within a collection! :)

Have more permits one the way too!

Interesting, a non-fluted 686, have not seen one until now, nice. I have two non-fluters myself, maybe I need to locate a 686 without flutes.........A collection within a collection! :)

Have more permits one the way too!

That is standard to the American Series. Midway has a S&W unfluted cylinder assembly for the 686 for $132.99. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/739254/smith-and-wesson-cylinder-assembly-s-and-w-l-frame-model-686-unfluted