Sign in to follow this  
HogLuvr

Coming soon, Kearny

Before anyone would be accepted for club membership, “we’d get a background check so you know they have a permit to carry a weapon,” Jonathan said. “And we’d probably get several retired Kearny police officers to help staff the facility.”

ER....

That carry thing had me scratching my head, too. I look at it this way.... Some people will pay. That still takes the pressure off of the other ranges, giving us all options. I don't mind BH, but Christ does it get crowded!

$450 is pretty steep for an indoor range.

Sounds like he's trying to cater to the 'rich' shooters, not your run of the mill gun enthusiasts.

$450 is pretty steep for an indoor range.

Sounds like he's trying to cater to the 'rich' shooters, not your run of the mill gun enthusiasts.

Agreed!

This Indoor Range could become the Hudson Farms of the Indoor Range world in North Jersey, lol! It's a beautiful place up in Andover in Sussex County. Last May they hosted a fundraiser for the Boy Scouts: only $400.00 for a single round of Sporting Clays (but you did get at least one meal along with it, and the ammo and gun rental was thrown-in if you didn't own a break-open shotty).

Seriously though, it does take a lot of dough to run a range! I ought to know--I was on the Board of Trustees @ Old Bridge for a three-year term. Winter months the utilities are into the thousands, since you're heating the outside with forced ventilation & make-up air. Even at $500.00 per year, it's really just a $1.35 cup of coffee per day......

Going after a clientele with six & seven figure incomes isn't so terrible. It's a niche market to be sure. I wonder if they'll have a cappucino machine in the common area?

Hagues in Gloucester county is $450... It's a nice facility, though.

Actually 400

Not renewing for next year though. Probably going down to SJSC near my brothers house. Outdoor range and longer than 25 yards

I would pay to join a private range right in Kearny . I grew up there and live in North Arlington now. I would probably still join an outdoor range too though .

400 for one year to belong to a club is not awful.33 bucks a month is really not that bad especially if they do it up nicely. No way to sugar coat this , but Kearny has a rough crowd living there. I can understand why they would want to make sure someone is not a prohibited person and the easiest way to do that is to ask to see their current FID card.

I know there are ranges in much rougher neighborhoods that manage , but there is just SOMETHING about Kearny. Always has been. I had my share of scares growing up there. The kids are just extra mischievous too for some reason lol

Agreed!

This Indoor Range could become the Hudson Farms of the Indoor Range world in North Jersey, lol! It's a beautiful place up in Andover in Sussex County. Last May they hosted a fundraiser for the Boy Scouts: only $400.00 for a single round of Sporting Clays (but you did get at least one meal along with it, and the ammo and gun rental was thrown-in if you didn't own a break-open shotty).

Seriously though, it does take a lot of dough to run a range! I ought to know--I was on the Board of Trustees @ Old Bridge for a three-year term. Winter months the utilities are into the thousands, since you're heating the outside with forced ventilation & make-up air. Even at $500.00 per year, it's really just a $1.35 cup of coffee per day......

Going after a clientele with six & seven figure incomes isn't so terrible. It's a niche market to be sure. I wonder if they'll have a cappucino machine in the common area?

Wow, what does that place cost to join? There's no membership info on their site.

Wow, what does that place cost to join? There's no membership info on their site.

For which Club, Old Bridge or Hudson Farms?

Old Bridge's fee schedule is on their site I believe. Hudson Farms is an exclusive club owned by Griffin & Howe in Bernardsville. I'm not quite sure, but I'm led to believe that it's priced like a Golf Club membership: several thousand dollars to join (maybe up to $10K or more?) and exclusive benefits too..... I've never shot there yet!

I meant Hudson, sorry for the lack of clarity. That's a lot of dough.

At Hudson Farms, I'm told by very reliable sources it's not uncommon to see $100K Over and Unders and S x S's! No pumps or semi-autos allowed to be shot there, Break-Action ONLY!

At Hudson Farms, I'm told by very reliable sources it's not uncommon to see $100K Over and Unders and S x S's! No pumps or semi-autos allowed to be shot there, Break-Action ONLY!

The cheapest shotgun in Griffin & Howe is probably $2K, wouldn't doubt their range is the same way.

Has to be Kearny? Yes it's close to the city so you'll get traffic from there, but there's already other gun ranges out that way.

<-- Still wanting more options around my area :)

Nick,

Not to be a PITA, but New Brunswick is too built-up, Piscataway is too at this point, and so are all of the other surrounding towns. South Brunswick had a Range (outdoor, run by their Police) around the time your were born, but it was closed down (I can't remember why, but it was located on or near Fresh Ponds Road). Certain other towns around the area have "discharge ordinances" that would have to be lifted in order for a range to gain zoning approvals. Towns like Franklin Twp. and Bridgewater have sprawling housing developments, and Edison and South Plainfield are either too built-up or also suffer from too much housing development. A great place to have an outdoor range would be on or near the site of the old Raritan Arsenal, but then you'd have to deal with all of the Goobermental red-tape since they already cleaned-up heavy metal contanmination on the site, and it's adjacent to the County College, and you can't drive on School grounds with firearms without breaking a law.

Every so often a forum member here talks to another East Brunswick Council person about the indoor range on Harts Lane, and gets his chain yanked about the public opening "being very soon, as soon as we can do this or that" by the next Council person who just got elected.

So you may have a long wait on your hands.....