Jp10127

M&P 15-22 customizing

Well I am new to the forum here but have a few rifle questions. I currently own an xd .40 and am waiting on a change of address on my fid and a new permit for a 1911. As you can tell I like my handguns. I am looking into a 15-22 because it has that ar feel to it, while I have shot true ar's before I don't own one yet. I want to build one but funds are limited.

Now to the point I really want to get the 15-22 as a fun gun for me and my wife, and two boys when they are old enough. As far as I can tell a 14.5 inch barrel with a pinned and welded compensator would be jersey legal. Does anyone know if it is possible to do this to a 15-22? I want to basically make the baby brother of the ar I want to build. I have seen the conversion kits for changing out the rail system wich I would also do in the future. I know it is pointless to put the compensator on a .22 but I want it to look sweet as well as be fun to play with as it will also be a cheap trainer tool once I get back from basic training to keep up on rifle training. (reserve unit).

I have not purchased one as of yet, I'm still waiting for my Id and what not been almost 7 weeks luckily I've been sidetracked with my son in the hospital. If anyone knows any gun shops with one new or used info would be great

Plans are to shorten barrel and install rainier arms xtc compensator

Magpul Mbus sights

Cerakote flat dark earth( I was an auto painter just got laid off figured I could try it and maybe start doing side work)

Eventualy replace rail system and shoulder stock

If anyone has any suggestions or has tried any of this please drop a note and or pic

Thanks everyone.

Well... I love my 15-22, if u want to cut ur barrel down have it threaded, the have a compensator pinned and welded, plus converting to a free float rail...Idk man I honestly think you can build an Ar for the same ammount. 450 for a 15-22, free float rail conversion 15-20 bucks, free float rail 150-350 bucks, barrel customization probably 100-125, plus a compensator 65-200 bucks. So let's say you would spend about a 1000 on that. U.can build a basic Ar for 750-900 bucks.... I would just buy an Ar

Haha yea I was thinking the same at first. the compensator I want I can pick up a blemished for 35 bucks. The rail system would probably end up on the ar when and if I ever get to build it. And thats if i even bother changing the rail havent completely decided on that yet. Do you happen to know the length of the rail on the 15-22? My main thing is just the barrel for now. I just hate the look of the 16 incher on it plus I want it to look just a bit different. Who knows I may not do a thing to it but in my head it looks sweet! And thanks for the reply

Hmmm good to know! Thanks man been a great help. I was kinda thinkin I could cut my own barrel as well. My sister works for an ironworks company they have a mill and a lathe she's lookin into it but might be able to get me a great price on the chop and rethread. Who knows at this point. And if it's a 13 inch rail that rocks I was looking into a Samson manufacturing rail I believe was 13 inches anyway. You sir might have just save me some money! My wife would thank you!

Ehh 10 inches isn't horribly short still like the 13 inchers tho. Thanks for measuring that out man. I might just have to take you up on that some time man once everything with my son is cleared up ill have the time. I'd love to shoot one before I buy one, I try to with any gun, but I'm thinkin I will most likely just buy it anyway!

I'll be around, if u do shoot before you buy get a lot of magazines, trust me, I have 2 and its not enough lol

Ohh man, 2 is definitely not enough mags, I have 4 and I still think I need more. The last three outings I shot about 300-400 rounds each time. I love this AR only one FTF out of 1000 rounds plus from a cci blazer bulk box.

As for upgrades on my 15-22 maybe a barrel shroud to look different. Try tacticool22.com for cool upgrades and the prices are reasonable. I changed my buttstock to a magpul CTR buttstock and I added a magpul AFG, magpul rear mbuis and a leapers 3-9x42 scope. I occasionally put on my FAKEcog(acog). My suggestion is to build a Real AR which is what I just finished (the lower) and now I'm waiting on an upper to go on sale)

I looked at the shrouds not bad but I think I still want to shorten and I.stall the compensator I like. As for the ar yea I could do the .22 upper but at all the parts I'm looking at its already pretty pricey so I haven't done it nor can I convince the wife to let me! Since I promised a buddy I would buy his 1911 between that and the 15-22 I'm lookin at close to a grand. No way I can swing the full ar. Mainly because everyhing I want to use is expensive i want it to look sweet as well as function. The ar I want to do consists of a vltor upper a noveske lower and a piston drive system. Found a rra lower at my gun store for 350 figured I could build the upper. They way I see it I have one shot to do it the way I want to. I have two boys ones 2 and ones 8 months old, if I get to build one its probably the only chance ill get for a while!

Clintoon sounds like you got one sweet 15-22 I love the look of those stocks. It's what I had in mind for mine. Plus if it goes on the .22 odds are if o ever build the ar its going right on that instead!

Cutting a barrel isn't super hard. Recrowning it is harder, but still in the realm of doable by a mechanically skilled person with the right hand tools. Retreading it needs a good lathe, and a big one. Advice i have been given is that if you want to do a you can as an ar smith, you want a 40" lathe. That's a big lathe. Even with the equipment, you need to get your threads concentric to the bore so that the bullets don't hit the muzzle device.

Just the barrel work is likely going to run you about $235-250 plus shipping back and forth. That's if the places I know of will take the barrel in for work since they are ar-15 only shops.

Well as I statd originally I know it's a .22. I want it to look like the one I want to build. Obviously the comp is pointless hell it's pointless on a 5.56 in my opinion as well they don't have a ton of recoil as is, maybe for reducing muzzle signature sure I could understand that. hence on a full sized ar why I would want it.

I'm going for looks on this one, for fun, plus I have an addiction to modifying things.:)

Yea I was definitely looking into mags. I had seen some aftermarket brand 15 rounders but I can't remembere where I found them now for 16 a piece. I'm mad I can't find the site again!

My dad has an old Remington .22 I shoot that once in a while hence the stockpile of 3 bricks of .22 ammo. First things first is probably gonna be magpul mbus sights.

Rock on dude!

Just know this, that money spent cutting the barrel, adding the comp, free-floating the barrel etc... could get you more than halfway to the full on AR and it will add nothing to your training/shooitng experience than looks.

Either way - Good luck and enjoy it. I love mine.

Just my .02 but by the time you buy the 15-22($450-500), buy the handguard you want($150) , buy the comp($50), get the barrel cut down($125-150), and pay someone to pin and weld the comp($30-50) you could have just bought a real AR for about the same money(~$850). Then if you still want a .22 just get a .22 drop in kit for it and you now have a rifle that shoots both a 5.56 and .22

Just my .02 but by the time you buy the 15-22($450-500), buy the handguard you want($150) , buy the comp($50), get the barrel cut down($125-150), and pay someone to pin and weld the comp($30-50) you could have just bought a real AR for about the same money(~$850). Then if you still want a .22 just get a .22 drop in kit for it and you now have a rifle that shoots both a 5.56 and .22

I already brought this up lol

The more I think about it yea I might just give up on most of my thoughts for it. Definitely will get different sights I just don't like the look of the factory sights and a set of Magpul Mbus sights aren't super expensive. I still want a shorter barrel but that may be done later down the road I still need to buy the rifle in the first place. Hopefully if I can sell my jeep I might just be able to get this for my wife and also build my ar! That's gonna most likely run me 1500 bucks so I would definitely have to sell my jeep. Don't need two cars if I'm gonna be in basic and ait for 6 months gotta drop that car payment.

The 15-22 is definitely a fun rifle, even without all of the tacticool stuff. I just sold mine to Bullseye Tactical in Woodbridge. I don't know how close you are to them, but if buying used is an option you would consider, you can probably pick it up at a good price there -- it is only two years old, lightly used and in very good shape and included three mags. I unloaded it because I bought a S&W 15 in 5.56 and, looking at my cabinet, realized that everything I had was black/polymer (rifles, shotgun, handgun). Lately, I have been finding myself even eyeing lever actions -- so it was time to get some diversity in my small collection and add something with a wood stock.

You can't go wrong with a 15-22, but if money is an issue, maybe look at a used one first.

The 15-22 is definitely a fun rifle, even without all of the tacticool stuff. I just sold mine to Bullseye Tactical in Woodbridge. I don't know how close you are to them, but if buying used is an option you would consider, you can probably pick it up at a good price there -- it is only two years old, lightly used and in very good shape and included three mags. I unloaded it because I bought a S&W 15 in 5.56 and, looking at my cabinet, realized that everything I had was black/polymer (rifles, shotgun, handgun). Lately, I have been finding myself even eyeing lever actions -- so it was time to get some diversity in my small collection and add something with a wood stock.

You can't go wrong with a 15-22, but if money is an issue, maybe look at a used one first.

I emailed Chris, the rifle was already sold.