Sign in to follow this  
deadeye74

Skunks and chipmunks

Seems we have a skunk frequenting our yard. Every night we are graced with the lovely smell. I live in a development with houses fairly close to each other. Is there anything I can put out to try and keep it away?

Next outdoor issue is chipmunks. Seems they are in love with tunneling under my lawn. Any tips on something that will send them packing too?

You can try to catch it in a hav-a-heart trap. When you catch the skunk, throw a blanket over the trap so he can't spray you.

Now you have the problem of what to do with the skunk.

Option #1 is to put it in your car and drive it out into the woods and try to release it there.

Option #2. call animal control and have them deal with it.

You can try to catch it in a hav-a-heart trap. When you catch the skunk, throw a blanket over the trap so he can't spray you.

Now you have the problem of what to do with the skunk.

Option #1 is to put it in your car and drive it out into the woods and try to release it there.

Option #2. call animal control and have them deal with it.

Would definitely go with option 2! My fear in having it caught in a trap is that its gonna spray no matter what just from being pissed off it's in the cage. I can only imagine the pleasant smell of my yard once that happens!

animal control will not help you if you trap it. If they trap it, they'll release it on your property at the edge. At least in my town thats how it works.

call them first to see what their SOP is...

you can also try fox urine scent markers. they sell them at some garden centers. seems to work for us.

good luck.

animal control will not help you if you trap it. If they trap it, they'll release it on your property at the edge. At least in my town thats how it works.

call them first to see what their SOP is...

you can also try fox urine scent markers. they sell them at some garden centers. seems to work for us.

good luck.

I'm gonna look into the fox urine. Thanks for the tip!

Anyone know where to get fox urine (Old Bridge area)? I've heard this reccomended several times but haven't had any luck finding it.

Should be able to find it at Dicks Sporting Goods. Could also try calling East Brunswick Sportsman. They are geared towards hunting.

Skunk

Tie a rope to the handle of the trap. When you catch it put a towel Over the trap and go to a lake, creek or river. Throw the trap into the water while holding the rope. Do some fishing. When your done fishing pull the trap in. Safely empty trap. But if animal control is willing to do it have them do it. The skunk is just doing what skunks do so releasing far away is the best option. But if it comes down to you opening that trap I wouldn't want to do that while it's alive.

I can verify that buckets with water is all you'll need for Chipmunks.

I've never "baited" one, but I've left buckets out over the years and if I don't empty the rain water, eventually a chipmunk will find it's way in. I imagine with seeds it won't take long at all.

I'm trying that one tomorrow, and the ground hogs are driving me nuts :(

I'm not saying how I get rid of groundhogs or why I know the following but I will say, while there isn't much meat on them [they are mostly loose skin and fur] their quarters grill up for some tasty wing like dining.

you might be seeing vole or mole damage...I rarely see chipmunks tunnel like you are describing..

They tunnel, and they make mounds. They destroyed some plants because of it. My lawn looked like a prairie dog town!

I now encourage the local cats to visit me. They keep these rodents in check.

guess we got some lazy chipmunks by us! Most of them that I have seen scampering about live under the shed or gazebo or hot tub .

I know for certain we got voles that do lawn and garden tunnels, since I have baited and caught a few, as did the local cats..I love when they leave me half a vole to show their love...

guess we got some lazy chipmunks by us! Most of them that I have seen scampering about live under the shed or gazebo or hot tub .

I know for certain we got voles that do lawn and garden tunnels, since I have baited and caught a few, as did the local cats..I love when they leave me half a vole to show their love...

Our chipmunks pretty much stay out near the woodline, and I rarely see them--mostly squirrels and rabbits and deer; so far they have not breached my garden's perimieter fence after I pinned the bottom 12 inches to the ground.

I do notice a lot of small caliber holes, presumably dug by voles--some even come into my raised beds!

What (besides cats) do you use to bait and catch the voles? I try to discourage stray/feral cats because they tend to also damage wildlife that I like--such as songbirds.

It's too bad you don't live somewhere where you're able to shoot them... Chipmunks are AWESOME target practice with a 22lr. Mini prairie dogs... I've smoked so many I actually have been considering making little striped coasters for the trophy room.

Sorry to hear about your Skunk issue. I'm lucky to have a secluded property -- the Skunk would be dispensed at 100 yards. Sounds like you have some good advice though and good luck.

Our chipmunks pretty much stay out near the woodline, and I rarely see them--mostly squirrels and rabbits and deer; so far they have not breached my garden's perimieter fence after I pinned the bottom 12 inches to the ground.

I do notice a lot of small caliber holes, presumably dug by voles--some even come into my raised beds!

What (besides cats) do you use to bait and catch the voles? I try to discourage stray/feral cats because they tend to also damage wildlife that I like--such as songbirds.

Voles are tough. Exclusion is the best way. We lose $$$ yearly on the damage they cause. Any new plant is put in the ground potted so the little buggers don't/can't eat the roots. That seems to help with lily bulbs etc. There are some poison baits but chance of secondary poisoning is high with our three beagles and the wandering cats so we avoid them.

They like grubs so you treat for them you'll dry up their primary food source. Sadly your garden beds will become the next thing they eat.

I don't sweat the lawn tunneling so much anymore. Think of it as free aeration.