jgofnj

Selling handgun to out of state resident. Can I ship?

I want to sell a gun to an out of state resident (Kansas). I know I have to deal through the person's home state dealer, and he has an FFL. Can I ship directly to the FFL? or do I need to go through my FFL in NJ to ship to the buyer's FFL in Kansas?

1. Handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a P2P and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

....B. Out-of-state resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

That would depend on if his FFL will accept a non-FFL transfer. Some dealers will only accept from other dealers. As fr the legailty of it, you can ship it yourself just has to be through a carrier other than USPS, only a licensed FFL can ship firearms through the United States Postal Service.

As Matt said it depends if the out of state FFL will accept a shipment from a non-ffl.

The other issue would be if you bought this handgun while a NJ resident on a P2P. If you ship it directly to an out of state FFL the gun will still be registered to you with NJSP. The only sure way I know the gun will be "unregistered" to you is if you have a NJ FFL ship the gun for you.

And what do I need to verify from the buyer? I understand in NJ I would need to see his P2P and verify that his DL match. But Kansas doesn't have the P2P requirement like NJ does and I have no idea how to find out what the laws are there.

If the guy were in NJ, NJSP would transfer it when they got their copy of the P2P. I would call NJSP firearms to find out what they would need if you transferred a handgun to an out of state FFL.

KS laws are not material here, registration with NJ is.

Not your concern if the buyer is not elligible to purchase.  You get the money and ship the gun to the dealer. Unless it is falsely advertised, your part is done.

Sent from my DROID4.

And what do I need to verify from the buyer? I understand in NJ I would need to see his P2P and verify that his DL match. But Kansas doesn't have the P2P requirement like NJ does and I have no idea how to find out what the laws are there.

Exactly what PK90 said, You're responsibility is to get to the FFL. After that, it's up to the out of state FFL to verify whatever needs to be verified.

Thank you all. I verified that the FFL will take a direct transfer from me. The buyer sent me the FFL papers and it looks just like what my FFL has me send out when I bought a gun from out of state. So I am good to go.

Thanks again.

Waking this thread back up instead of starting a new one...

If I ship it to an out of state FFL will they mail me something that says they sold it for me so I can mail it to the gestapo to prove I sold the pistol?

I assume you will have signed a consignment contract. They should give you a receipt or a check when it sells. No need to notify the Popo. They don't care about dispositions, only acquisitions.

ETA: louu, I may have gotten your post mixed up with another. I assumed you had not yet gotten money for your gun, as you inferred the dealer will sell it.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Sorry Paul I'm clueless here, whats a consignment contract and how do I go about getting that? Iv'e never done this before. What if they pay me with paypal gift and you cant use any gun words on paypal?

Nothing is sold yet, I haven't even posted an ad yet I'm just thinking about selling a pistol I'll never use again.

I thought you were sending a gun to a dealer to sell on consignment. Disregard.

When you sell it and ship it, just keep records of where it went. You won't get a receipt from the dealer.

And shame on you for supporting an anti-gun organization. LOL.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

When you sell it and ship it, just keep records of where it went. You won't get a receipt from the dealer.

What record do I keep? Is a receipt between me and the buyer sufficient with the shipping record? How does NJSP know I sold it if there's no receipt?

Be sure to get as much stuff on paper as possible.

If it is one day found at a crime scene, your information will still be linked to the Serial # assuming that state doesnt require registration. Personally, i think the only way id sell out of state is FFL to FFL.... Not worth the chance that some asshole will do something stupid.

At least with a rifle i sell (or handgun with face to face sales), i have the COE with the guys information and signature on paper to point the LEO in the right direction.

I don't think a FFL gives you much other than a receipt. I suppose the FFL will need to log the firearm in their book but that does not help me much if the local PD is knocking on my door.

You can ask to receive a postal money order and reference the serial number on it.  Also, save any shipping info and proof of delivery and make up a Bill of Sale for the FFL to have completed and mailed back to you.  

A lot of people don't like money orders when they don't know the seller, too easy to be on the losing end of fraud. Not always, but it happens enough that I prefer not to use them, especially out of state.

Just note down where you shipped it to (FFL).  I keep their licenses in PDF files along with the gun that I sent them.  I also go to the FFL EZ Check site and key in their license numbers to make sure it's still valid.  

When they receive the gun they need to book it into their inventory.  At that point the gun is no longer yours.  When the gun is delivered to the ultimate purchaser it is booked out.  It is job of the FFL to make sure all appropriate state and federal laws are followed when transferring the gun from their inventory to the new owner.  It is the job of the FFL to make sure they have a corresponding record in their inventory book that the gun went out and to whom (purchaser or other FFL).  When the ATF comes in the look at everything that is booked and match it against what's booked out and what's inventory.  Guns booked in = Guns booked out + current inventory.  If it's gun smithing it's in a separate book.  If there are any unaccounted for guns you have a lot of explaining to do.