Kingsoverqueens

Dicks now requires FID or DL at cash register for ammo

I purchased a case of 12 ga. target load on Tuesday. Bad enough that I'm not allowed to carry the box to the cash register. I suppose I should be happy, damn thing is heavy.

But imagine my surprise when the cashier asked for my FID. I told her politely that she didn't need to see my FID for shotgun shells. Next cashier overhears my objection and suggests that I give her my drivers license instead. I politely told him I don't need a DL to purchase shotgun shells. His reply "The system (cash register) requires a number." I was late and in no mood or frame of mind to argue so I provided my FID. Buuut, what REALLY pizzed me off was when I had to hit "Yes" or "no" to the question on the credit card point of sale pad that read "Are you a US Citizen?"

FWIW, they did the same thing to the guy ahead of me but he was buying what appeared to be pistol ammo. Bad enough we have to submit to a log but now the second step at the cash register is just insulting.

I love the stupid coupon that Dick's sends out to me. $20.00 off any purchase over $50.00. Go to the register with over $75.00 worth of ammo and they said I can't use it on ammo because their price is too low, which isn't even close to the truth. I shrugged it off and paid full price and told them to keep the coupon. I will not be buying ammo there anymore. Their selection is not that great anyways.

I purchased a case of 12 ga. target load on Tuesday. Bad enough that I'm not allowed to carry the box to the cash register. I suppose I should be happy, damn thing is heavy.

But imagine my surprise when the cashier asked for my FID. I told her politely that she didn't need to see my FID for shotgun shells. Next cashier overhears my objection and suggests that I give her my drivers license instead. I politely told him I don't need a DL to purchase shotgun shells. His reply "The system (cash register) requires a number." I was late and in no mood or frame of mind to argue so I provided my FID. Buuut, what REALLY pizzed me off was when I had to hit "Yes" or "no" to the question on the credit card point of sale pad that read "Are you a US Citizen?"

FWIW, they did the same thing to the guy ahead of me but he was buying what appeared to be pistol ammo. Bad enough we have to submit to a log but now the second step at the cash register is just insulting.

KOQ's, this sounds like it is a secondary double check need for a gun purchase at the point of sale, clearly intended for gun sales...not ammo, hence the US citizen question. This is probably another case of improper interpretation of company rules, and training by Dick's from a corporate level. Shame on them.

I bought some ammo (9mm) from Dick's not too long ago. I was logged in their book in the back where the ammo is located then given the ammo sealed in a plastic container. I walked up to the cash register, the cashier opened it and I payed without incident. Wasn't asked for my FID or license at the checkout. It was the Dick's in Nassau Park Blvd in near Princeton.

Anytime I buy rifle ammo there, I have to use my FID just to get the guy to unlock the ammo, then I have to sign next to the amount of ammo I am buying. It is then put into a magnetically sealed box. The guy carries it to the cash register and I have to show my FID again just to get her to ring it up. I feel like I am the president and I am unlocking the football.

So if anyone wants to know what is up checkout N.J.A.C. 13:54-3.14 Permanent record of receipt and disposition of firearms and

ammunition, section (b).

(b) Every retail dealer of ammunition shall maintain a permanent record of ammunition

acquisition and disposition. The record of purchase or acquisition shall consist of invoices or

other commercial records, which shall be filed in an orderly manner separate from other

commercial records maintained. Such records shall show the name of the manufacturer, the type,

caliber or gauge, quantity of the ammunition acquired in the transaction, the date of each

acquisition and from whom received. The record of sale or disposition shall be maintained in a

bound form and shall contain the date of the transaction, name of manufacturer, caliber or gauge,

quantity of ammunition sold, name, address and date of birth of purchaser, and identification

used to establish the identity of purchaser. The dealer shall confirm the age of the purchaser of

rifle and shotgun ammunition to be at least 18, and handgun ammunition to be at least 21. No

record need be maintained for the sale or disposition of shotgun or rifle ammunition. However,

sales or other dispositions of ammunition intended for use in any other firearm and which may

be interchangeable between rifles and handguns, as well as hollow-nosed or dum-dum

ammunition, must be recorded. The records shall be maintained in chronological order by date of

acquisition and disposition and shall be kept at the location the business is being conducted.

So yeah that's the wording, if they asked me for my FIPC I'd tell then eat snot and walk out.

Same BS happened to me the other day @ the Woodbridge store. Bought a case of 12 gauge, told them I didn't need a NJFID (at register). Then they asked me if I was a US Citizen, so I looked the kid square in the eye, and with my usual SOFT (not) voice said, "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK?!! Then I told them that you don't even have to be a US Citizen to buy a hand gun in NJ, so why the hell are they asking me if I'm a Citizen. Dumb looks from everyone at the counter! They wanted me to use the terminal to indicate my Citizen status. I didn't touch that germ-infested terminal at all. Caused quite a scene, paid cash and walked-out with my case of ammo. The kid who sold me the ammo said that they were audited by the State and ATF. This is obviously a reaction to the extreme!

At this point I'm beginning to look into mail-ordering ammo again. What a PITA this BS is!

To those who've said they haven't had to deal with this yet, it's new. I bought shells there 2 weeks ago without issue.

To Pete F, I don't disagree, however, the economics of the transaction being what they are, and the fact that I needed shells Tuesday so we could shoot this morning, let me little choice.

I always prefer to buy from a local store and quite honestly feel dirty buying at Dicks, but $53 (after coupon) v. $85 at my normal place, for the same damn case of shells, well, you do the math.

I'm going to contact Dicks corporate tomorrow and get an explaination.

The first time I had to deal with the stupid plastic box I commented to the cashier and she said "it's for safety." I told her the only way she or anyone else in the store was going to get hurt by a box of shells was if I dropped them on her foot. The whole thing is stupid. Stupid stupid stupid.

I'll let you guys know

I am rarely in the position that I have to stop at Dicks for any sort of ammo.

When I need target shells, I usually by them at wally world on the way home from shooting. I generally have at least an extra 100 sheels of each caliber than what I need just in case. Might be worth it to you to do the same.

I am rarely in the position that I have to stop at Dicks for any sort of ammo.

When I need target shells, I usually by them at wally world on the way home from shooting. I generally have at least an extra 100 sheels of each caliber than what I need just in case. Might be worth it to you to do the same.

I'd sell blood to raise the funds to pay the higher cost of buying local before shopping at Wall Mart, but that is my personal decision, and I don't judge you for yours. I can honestly say that I've never spent a thin dime at Wall Mart, on anything.

With that said, as I understood, they (Wall Mart) doesn't sell Ammo in NJ stores, so even if I wanted too, I couldn't.

Hey, your entitled to your opinion. I buy few things at wally world. They are ammo (shells) after we shoot clays and oil. I am in PA enough to stop by, as I am always around one it seems.

If I could buy it online when I am ordering, I do that. Wally world is just convienent sometimes.

I go to dicks sporting goods in freehold only show FPID for pistol ammo and ammo that may be used in a hand gun like .22LR I never get carded at register because the guy upstairs is suppose to before they hand you the ammo so they bypass that and I always use multiple coupons on the ammo purchases and no one says no. My best deal there ever was buying .223 ammo and 9 mm on sale with coupon for 10 dollars off 50 dollar purchase and 25 dollars off 125 dollar purchase and I used two of my bonus points coupons one was 100 points on next purchase other was 200. Never bought ammo so cheap in my life, thank god for clueless teenagers.

It's not just Dick's in NJ that sucks, as an enitre organization I believe company policy is no open/ccw carry in their stores. I've read that on a few different forums in free states, customers were asked to leave because they were open carrying. So you will take my money for ammo and firearms but hinder my ability to exercise a constituitional right.

Fu*k that noise, never spent a dollar in Dick's sporting goods, NEVER will.

Same here in Paramus. By the way, when they do record the purchase handgun or rifle ammo does this get sent to anyone? Does it just stay in their records?

13:54-3.16 Records available to Division of State Police

Records are to be retained by the dealer and shall, for administrative and law enforcement purposes, be made available

for inspection during reasonable hours to any member of the Division of State Police.

13:54-3.17 Records to Superintendent

Upon discontinuance, termination, expiration or revocation of a retail dealer license, the retail dealer license and any

employee licenses shall be forwarded to the Superintendent within five business days.

bought a box of 40 and some 12 gauge Target loads from dicks in brick yesterday they filled out the book, and needed my fid at the register. It's bs, but I.guess.they have to cover there a**. There must of been some problem with nj and dicks in the past to cause this new system.