locochinoloco

New addition to the community...

Hello,

My wife and I just started the "sport" and I've been lurking around many forums for information while waiting for our FIDs and this is by far the more informative one among many for NJ firearm owners.

We applied for our FID and PPP and it took about 10 weeks for us to get them, which isn't too bad by what I've read amoung other members.

Unfortunately listening to bad advice from the out of state dealer, we purchased a SIG516 and had it pinned prior to being shipped to our NJ FFL and it was pinned at position 2, which gave it about 11" LOP, too short even for my 5'1" wife to use with BUIS. We'll be visiting Arms-n-Ammo this weekend to get it re-pinned, hopefully.

Thanks,

Yen

Down around camden and you're gonna go all the way up to OBRPC? Wow.

There may be other options closer to home as well - SJSC, USANA, etc.

As for NJ ZED, look on the main forums page, all the way towards the bottom you should see a whole section :D

Welcome to the forum. Please consider joining the New Jersey Second Amendment Society (NJ2AS.org). We help fight your your gun rights in this state.

And watch the video below.

Thanks for welcome... :good:

I will be attending the orientation with my wife this Sunday.

Around Camden... :) What is NJ ZED?

Yeah im not partial to one particular range or another, however OB does seem like quite the trip from Camden. There are a number of good options along the way to cut down travel time/costs.

and in regards to ZED.. you must ask yourself- How do you feel regarding a pending zombie apocalypse, and your potential role in the effort to make them go away with haste :)

Side Note: Welcome to the Forums!!!

LOL... ZED just bought a huge smile to my face... LOL ... Very COOL!!!

I don't really mind the distance because it will be 2x a month trip for us. It's a expensive sport, so we want to make sure we don't have a big grin on our faces but empty bank accounts... :D

I only picked OBRPC because they offer a lot of disciplines, 24/7 indoor and seems like something is always going on there? I've looked into Fort Dix as well and a few others. SJSC is closer for sure. I also have another buddy who just applied but lives by Edgewater, so this is sort of like a midpoint.

We're intested in joining compeitions in the future and think the OBRPC might be a good place to practice?

I've just looked up USANA and that seems like a pretty good place, but not too much information on their website. http://www.championshooters.com/clubs/nj-usana.html

But that never came up on my radar before, but thanks for the heads up.

Here's the thing - if you're a 2x a month trip to OBRPC, be careful on weekends. There are a LOT of events planned on weekends (Static & Action steel, USPSA, IDPA, Rifle matches, etc.). If you're going to try to practice on weekends, you may find that you can't access any of the pits.

Weekdays, though, the pits are usually available.

If you want to shoot matches like USPSA, etc., you don't have to be an OBRPC member.

NjPilot - Thanks for link.

I've looked them up and seems like they are a bit more organized than OBRPC. I'm looking at about $1100 for the first year and $534 every year after for the both of us. LOL ...

We've never joined a club before but I guess the only way to visit the facility is to have a member show us around? Or it open to the public also? Also, when there is a event that is open to the public, does that mean the public pays a fee but members don't? Sorry to bombard you with all these questions... LOL

I don't know how much OBRPC cost yet because they never replied to my e-mail, which isn't cool.

If it is you and you're wife joining, it shouldn't be that much. I'd have to look, but I believe that your wife can join at a reduced rate, plus, you can join and bring her unlimited number of times, she just wouldn't be able to come without you.

The $400 capital contribution is a hurdle, but if you know you aren't going anywhere anytime soon, it is worth it.

There are quite a few CJ members here on the boards. It should be possible to work out being guested in to check out the facilities.

Many of us go on most weekends, let us know when you are available. I expect to go this weekend, but don't have final plans yet.

The OBR&PC has a one time,non-refundable initiation fee of $300.00 payable in 2 installments . the yearly dues are 384.00 in addition,12 hours of work time or 15.00 per hour not worked.if you put your work hours in you will only pay the 384.00 yearly dues.when you attend the meeting you will need to bring a handgun 50 rounds of ammo(no magnums)eyes and ears and a check for 342.00(half of the initiationfee and half of the first years dues.you will also need your firearms ID card and your NRA card.we are a 100% NRA member club.you can join the NRA at the meeting also.hope this helps.

Threy also offer a family membership, I don't remember the extra cost but, it was definitely less that paying for 2 memberships. Also, if your wife will not be going to the range without you, you would only need a single membership as spouses and kids can go with you anytime.

If it is you and you're wife joining, it shouldn't be that much. I'd have to look, but I believe that your wife can join at a reduced rate, plus, you can join and bring her unlimited number of times, she just wouldn't be able to come without you.

The $400 capital contribution is a hurdle, but if you know you aren't going anywhere anytime soon, it is worth it.

There are quite a few CJ members here on the boards. It should be possible to work out being guested in to check out the facilities.

Many of us go on most weekends, let us know when you are available. I expect to go this weekend, but don't have final plans yet.

We were going to OBRPC this Sunday at 9am for orientation.

I spoke with VP Mr. Roddy for a viewing and he said that we can just enter using the USPSA/IPSC code to enter and look around. But I guess we can't use the range.

So if you're going to be at the range on Saturday and can bring my wife and I into the range as guest, say anywhere from 11:30am - 1pm, that would be great. Since we don't know when the orientation will end. And of course, should be become members, we will put you down as our Sponsor for the $50 credit. We would like to use the range too if it's not too much trouble.

Since my wife do want to shoot in league, we'll be getting membership for the both of us.

I just don't understand this line.... 2. Two other persons, per visit, may be accorded guest of member privileges without payment or range fees twice each in any one calendar year.

What is the range fee, should be exceed the mention rule above?

Threy also offer a family membership, I don't remember the extra cost but, it was definitely less that paying for 2 memberships. Also, if your wife will not be going to the range without you, you would only need a single membership as spouses and kids can go with you anytime.

I saw that and I e-mailed them how much for the family membership fee several times, but never got a response. *shrugs* ...

We're looking for the family membership fee because my wife would want to participate in leagues also... LOL

I saw that and I e-mailed them how much for the family membership fee several times, but never got a response. *shrugs* ...

We're looking for the family membership fee because my wife would want to participate in leagues also... LOL

They can be a liitle slow with email responses. Especially around the holiday. You know, vacations, bbq's etc. these guys have families as well.

I would never try to talk anyone out of joining OB or CJ but, they are both a good drive from Camden area. You don't need to be a member to shoot the competitions at either. I joined OB because it is 5 minutes from my house. I got real tired of driving to Lakewood and Ft. Dix to shoot. I would seriously consider making my "home range" something nearby and traveling around to other clubs for the competitions if my home range couldn't fulfill those needs.

Thanks Steve ... I've actually already tried what you've suggested. But it's cool I'll just stop by on Sunday morning to take a look.

Word is that OBRPC is also pretty busy on the weekends as well because they hold a lot of competition?? When do you usually go? Does OBRPC have holster rules?

We're not going every other day, so it's not too too bad... :D

Take a look through the calendar on that newsletter. you will see that most Saturdays and Sundays something is going on at the range. I TRY to make it to OBRAMS, USPSA, and at least one steel event each month. Right now I intend to be there the 14th for knockdown steel then the 21st and 22nd for OBRAMS and USPSA.

You can carry your gun in a holster at either range, unloaded and no mag. Unless of course you are at the firing line then you may draw and fire from holster.

Steve... seems like you have a lot of experience with competition... seems like Old Bridge offer a lot more "matches" than Central Jersey?

I don't mind the drive and honestly, I dont' think we'll be going more than 2x a month, so distance is not really an issue.

Have you been to Central Jersey? Would you know the pro and cons of each?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. A friend who has been to OB mention that you can setup your own target and just practice, which I don't think you can do at Central Jersey?

It also seems like, if we eventually going to do matches, OB would be the place to be? I understand that we can attend matches any where, but being that you can setup you own course in OB and practice would be an advantage, but the downside is that most weekends there will be no pit to setup because it's all being used for competition.

I just joined OB in January. I have only been to 9 or 10 outdoor matches and 4 indoor. That's not much experience at all.

Not really sure on what CJ offers. I did consider CJ when I was looking but, decided the 35 - 40 minute drive was not for me. I wanted to be close enough to walk if I had to.

Never been to CJ, have heard great things about it though. Like the 300yd rifle range and automated target system at the inddor range. Those were not all that important to me though. I really can't comment on what is allowed at CJ either as I don't know. At OB, yes you can set up practice stages in the pistol pits as long as you have your own stands and targets. They are not provided except for actual competitions. What I do to get practice time in is, pick a slow day at work and suddenly come down with a stomach virus or fever.. :onthequiet:

OBRPC has 7 "pits". One is a large 50 yard "pit" which is very wide and is almost like a 50 yard range. The rest are shorter (about 25 yards) with various widths (some are relatively narrow). There's also the 100 yard rifle range on the other side.