njgo

2nd Purchase by mistake within 30 days?

So how can a check be denied for OGAM by NICS?

Example, I walk in an see a gun I like. Do the paperwork and NICS check is submitted on 5/1.

15 days later, Nics clears. I can't make it to the shop because I'm on a trip for 2 weeks.

When I return, I pick it up. 6/1. 2 weeks later I see another gun I like at another store. Nics check started.

They have no idea when previous gun was picked or if it was even picked up.

How can they deny or approve? Until permits have been mailed in sorted and entered into the system, they have nothing to go on.

Edited by PeteF

So how can a check be denied for OGAM by NICS?

Example, I walk in an see a gun I like. Do the paperwork and NICS check is submitted on 5/1.

15 days later, Nics clears. I can't make it to the shop because I'm on a trip for 2 weeks.

When I return, I pick it up. 6/1. 2 weeks later I see another gun I like at another store. Nics check started.

They have no idea when previous gun was picked or if it was even picked up.

How can they deny or approve? Until permits have been mailed in sorted and entered into the system, they have nothing to go on.

AFAIK, the NICS Unit keeps track of handgun purchases when the dealer submits the request. Also, when the executed permits get returned to the NJSP, they are entered into the system. If the two dates on the permits are not 30 days apart, you will have to explain it to them. Good luck.

sorry to hijack, but just to clarify a situation that I'm in right now...

NICS all clear was faxed yesterday according to my FFL's secretary.  However, my FFL is on vacation until Monday!  When I pick up my pistol, will he date my permit for Monday and not the day of the all clear fax?

I think ^ is correct from what I'm reading?  If the date is Wednesday, I have 30+ days left on my last permit... if it's Monday, then i have less than 30 days until it expires.  NICS delays (and his vacation) then made it impossible for me to use 3 permits within 90 days, even though I've used the prior two on the very first available dates! haha.  Oh boy.  Sounds like I need to call the local PO-PO for a permit app extension.

Wally... following the law: one gun a year or longer.  lol

wait a tick... even if I present my last permit just in the nick of time, with NICS taking so long... it will expire waiting for approval.  I'd better get my butt down to the PD and get it extended.

Good information here.  I am glad that NICS is picking up the pace.  The last HG I purchased was sometime in October this year.  I didn't remember seeing the 30 day thing on my HG purchase last year.  I asked about it and they pretty much told me the same thing as you guys.

The cool thing now, (positive out of a negative) is that NICS is not a 15 minute thing. I think total time for last purchase was less than 30 minutes. Which also helps out the local business, cause I poked around for 30 minutes and bought a bunch of stuff I could have done without.

I guess coming late to the show has helped for me with speed. Always been a shooter, just really starting to get into it. 

You can expect to get a call from the NJSP..

we had a few people over the years mistakenly try to get another Handgun and within a week or so of the denial got a call from the NJSP asking if we knew the circumstances.

I asked the Detective what happens to the customer... He said that he will call them and give them a talking to..... If this continues the state can charge him..

how about this situation?

NICS approved on Day #24

Gun picked up on Day #30

Does OGAM start on Day 24 or Day 30?

It starts on the day you pick up not the day nics is ran..

In the case you just listed... If you ran nics on the 24th and picked up on the 30th.... you would be approved by nics on the 30th day form the 24th..... This would be bad for the customer as they would most likely take the gun while still within the 30 day mark...   Nics does not know when you pickup just when nics is ran...

BTW its one thing to run nics within 30 and get a phone call from the NJSP... its another to have actually picked up the pistol within the 30 days based on Permit dates...

That would be Bad... i have a feeling you would get more then a phone call from the NJSP.

My last trip to my home in FL I bought a gun a Friday and another on Saturday.  In he ensuing months I committed no crimes.  What exactly is OGAM for other than to delay your rights?

If there was one issue I wish the gun rights groups would focus on in NJ it's OGAM.  Talk about a law that does nothing for public safety?  This may be the worst example of bad legislation.  I also think it could be beaten.  

My last trip to my home in FL I bought a gun a Friday and another on Saturday.  In he ensuing months I committed no crimes.  What exactly is OGAM for other than to delay your rights?

If there was one issue I wish the gun rights groups would focus on in NJ it's OGAM.  Talk about a law that does nothing for public safety?  This may be the worst example of bad legislation.  I also think it could be beaten.  

It is a stupid law..

With the OGAM exemption process in place, even US Supreme Court will not take up the case (assuming it will make that far).  Remember, SC didnt even want to take up a much more basic issue of 2A outside home and unattainable Justifiable Need that NJ requires for such. 

I've filed the exemption twice last year.  Other than being a pain in the butt it was approved before my p2p's.  The only risk is you need serial numbers for the purchase which means if you get denied you're going to either wait of you don't get P2P's be selling some guns still sitting at the dealer.  

19 hours ago, deerpark said:

Holy Jesus.

The system tracks the time frames?

You know your local PD gets ALL copies of your handgun purchases... So no, the "system" doesn't track them, but the person putting them in a file will most likely.