destro23

Glock 19 - Get Gen 3 or Gen 4?

first hand gun is def going to be a glock 19... then i'll take it from there. The question of the day is should i get a Proven Gen3? or newer Gen 4? I was leaning Gen 4 because (ok i'm gonna be honest) 1. the grips 2 it's newer. Yes i know don't bash me on #2 but this is my first gun purchase! and they have had almost 2 years to tweak the gun now.

watching so many videos and reading so many posts on gen 4 with eratic ejection on certain ammo, when gen 3 can fire anything you put in it puts that doubt in my head.

Also on the Gen 4 what are the latest parts numbers that i should see in it?

oh wise ones... what do you think?

Mazel Tov, The Glock 19 is a fine gun.

IMHO, go with the Gen 3. Not really because the Gen 4 has problems. Unless the Gen 3 doesn't fit your hands, there is no reason to pay more for a Gen 4 when you could get a used Gen 3 and a few extra magazines for the same price.

If the Glock 19 still doesn't fit your hands, look into a PX4 Compact... just sayin'...

Whatever quirks they may have had are gone now.....i think it was springs or someting.

I say gen 4 because of the Grips, you get 3 mags as well.....

Got my gen 4 a few onths ago and have fired about 500 rds through......no problems, zero.....

yea i'm going new for first gun... what spring do you have in your gun? 043?

New is the way to go. Gen4 is my choice.

The latest RSA for the Glock 19 Gen4 is the 0-4-3. The latest ejector is the 30274.

I have 5 Gen4 pistols including 2 Glock 19's with thousands of rounds combined with no failures or stoppages. Depending on the ammo you can get some more noticeable "erratic" ejections. The new Gen3 pistols also have erratic ejection patterns. I say "erratic", meaning the casing don't all go to the same exact spot, which is OK by me. The real problem was people getting hit in the head/face with brass and/or left ejections, which was corrected by the latest ejector 30274. Funny thing is you can go look at some youtube videos of people shooting their older Gen1 and Gen2 Glocks and you will see the same "erratic" ejection patterns. Erratic ejection always existed, gun forum boards didn't.

My favorite practice ammo for the my Gen4 9mm Glocks is Lawman 115gr. It's pretty hot for a practice ammo and compliments that dual RSA set up in the Gen4 nicely.

Go with the Gen 4.

I agree.

My father bought a Glock 17 about a year back from BA, and that was where I cautioned him.

He ordered a Gen3, then Phil said he would give him a Gen4 for the same price... since he couldn't get it. Real hassle, like other purchases from BA, but when he got it, it was a Gen3. By the time he got the gun, the bugs in the Gen4 were pretty much squashed.

If it was today, I'd say either is good.

My favorite practice ammo for the my Gen4 9mm Glocks is Lawman 115gr. It's pretty hot for a practice ammo and compliments that dual RSA set up in the Gen4 nicely.

This. Over 500 rounds of lawman through my new Gen4 G19 and and no issues so far. Easy to clean afterwards as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. All typos courtesy of iOS.

You will probably be fine with either. I just bought the Glock 19 Gen 3, but only because I wanted to save some money and bought used. It is in mint condition and has been flawless for me. Best gun I ever had. If money was not an issue and I was buying brand new, I would have gone with the Gen 4.

first hand gun is def going to be a glock 19... then i'll take it from there. The question of the day is should i get a Proven Gen3? or newer Gen 4? I was leaning Gen 4 because (ok i'm gonna be honest) 1. the grips 2 it's newer. Yes i know don't bash me on #2 but this is my first gun purchase! and they have had almost 2 years to tweak the gun now. watching so many videos and reading so many posts on gen 4 with eratic ejection on certain ammo, when gen 3 can fire anything you put in it puts that doubt in my head. Also on the Gen 4 what are the latest parts numbers that i should see in it? oh wise ones... what do you think?

Found this link about the Gen4 you may want to read.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/ralph/gun-review-glock-19-gen4-9x19mm/

Is there a sticky somewhere that explains grains? And what why how equals a 'hotter' round?

Grains is the actual weight of the bullet (just the projectile). 9mm bullets come in 115, 124,127,& 147gr. "Hotter " round is determined by the charge (gunpowder) used. They are rated as Standard Pressure, +P, and +P+. The the higher the muzzle velocity the "hotter" the round. Example: Lawman 115gr fmj =1200fps muzzle velocity, Federal Champion 115gr fml = 1145fps muzzle velocity, hence, the lawman is considered "hotter".

My favorite 9mm practice ammo:

1. Speer Lawman 115gr FMJ MV=1200fps

2. American Eagle 115gr FMJ MV=1180fps

My favorite 9mm HD/SD ammo:

1. Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P HP MV=1220fps

2. Winchester Ranger T Series 127gr +P+ HP MV=1250fps

Is there a sticky somewhere that explains grains? And what why how equals a 'hotter' round?

Grains, explained in video. 15 minutes, all your questions answered.

Also, owned a Glock 34 gen 4 for months - zero issues. IMO, the Gen4 issues were Internet shooters who enjoy stirring controversy. Everything read on the Internet (including this post) should be taken with... a grain of salt.

Thanks diamond and sixtytwo! makes sense now! i've yet to buy ammo (since no gun yet). Makes sense! how do you know the fps and is the +p's normally listed on the boxwes? Also diamondd817 whats the average prices of the ammo you listed?..

Also those with the glock 19 gen 4.. exactly what ammo are you using?

Again thanks for bearing with me!

Thanks diamond and sixtytwo! makes sense now! i've yet to buy ammo (since no gun yet). Makes sense! how do you know the fps and is the +p's normally listed on the boxwes? Also diamondd817 whats the average prices of the ammo you listed?..

Also those with the glock 19 gen 4.. exactly what ammo are you using?

Again thanks for bearing with me!

The manufactures websites usually have all the data available. +p ammo will be marked on the ammo box and/or advertised. I buy my ammo from targetsportsusa.com. Lawman 115gr is about $239 for 1000rds shipped to my door or $11.95 per 50rd box. The American Eagle 115gr is about the same $$.

And yes Gen4's tend to like the hotter ammo. Try to buy ammo with a muzzle velocity of more than 1150fps.

I have a gen 4 G19 with all the latest parts, usually run Spear Lawman 115 gr and they run flawlessly. When I first got the gun I was running a few hundred rounds of federal champion to break it in and got the occasional brass to the face. Nothing too bad or anything that really bothered me, but it did happen. Havent run federal champion since so don't know if it was break in or the ammo that made the difference.

As someone else said the gen 4's seem to run more consistently (without brass to the face issues) when using hotter ammo.

I too have a G19 Gen 4. all the latest parts and a Feb 2012 test fire date.

First 500 rounds or so was Remington UMC 115 gr. Had the occasional brass to face/head. The next 500 rounds and counting have been Lawman 115gr. No

Problems.

I just placed an order for 500 rounds of Lawman 124gr to match with my new HD rounds (Gold Dot 124gr +P)

I'll report back with how the 124gr fires, but I suspect it will work just fine.

Go with the G19 Gen 4 and a healthy amount of Lawman or American Eagle 115gr and have a blast!!

Be safe.