Pizza Bob

USPSA & IDPA: A Synopsis (Updated 03/29/2015)

On 7/7/2012 at 7:09 AM, Pizza Bob said:

I often hear of people wanting to attend a match to observe, before they actually participate. This is understandable, but by and large, the majority of people that choose this route, express regret at not participating right from the beginning.

Yes, this is an old thread, but relevant. Great write-up Bob.

I'm curious why it is that people regret observing initially? Seems odd, what other sport/game/competition would one participate in without first observing?

Edited by kc17
clarification

28 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Yes, this is an old thread, but relevant. Great write-up Bob.

I'm curious why it is that people regretting not observing initially? Seems odd, what other sport/game/competition would one participate in without first observing?

First and foremost... these are local matches.  Yes, it's a game and scores are kept, but generally, it is about having fun, safely.

You are not going to win any matches at first SO... yes you can come and observe, but in reality, if you can safely move with a firearm and are open to listening, you might as well just participate. =) 

It would be like coming out to the NJGF meetup and not shooting. 

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

.....Yes, it's a game and scores are kept, but generally, it is about having fun, safely....

I expect that would vary based on the location and people in attendance.

I'm trying to locate more info on local matches, struggling a bit; but I'm also at work, so....

Just now, kc17 said:

I expect that would vary based on the location and people in attendance.

I'm trying to locate more info on local matches, struggling a bit; but I'm also at work, so....

Having shot at pretty much every match (uspsa/idpa) around here, I can tell you they are all newbie friendly as long as you are focused on safety.

Keep in mind, these are not sectionals, regionals or nationals.  These are local club matches.

You show up, you say I'm new, you take the orientation.

The only person you are really competing with is yourself.

Your first goal should be to complete the match without being DQ'ed for some stupid safety related issue.

Not sure how it is now but when I helped do the new shooter safety briefs, if you announced you were a new shooter or shooting for the first time, you do not receive outside pressure and folks are there to make sure you have a safe and enjoyable time.

Where folks get in trouble is when they try to compete and try to game the game without having experience or really understanding the rules.  That is when DQ's happen for safety stuff. 

(i.e. moving with finger in trigger guard, breaking the 180, ND's, etc.)

That generally happens when you are trying to "compete" without having the fundamentals down first or the experience.

Yes, there are plenty of folks who show up to local matches to push themselves, but generally most folks are there to have a good time, to socialize with friends, etc.

• Agree 1

I will add though, you do have more folks show up to the Old Bridge match.... and generally the CJ matches and in particular Shongum were much more newbie friendly in the sense that the stages were generally smaller or less complex... less ways for you to screw up.

But believe me... NO ONE will ever say... "Why is he shooting so slow... he should speed up, he is holding us back" at a local match, especially if it is your first few years shooting matches.

You will get crap for...

1. Not helping paste targets/reset steel.

2. Not helping tear down stage and leaving early.

If you want to earn brownie points, show up early and help put the stages together.  That is also how you will get more comfort.

Humn, wrist be damned, I think I want to go shoot a match. lol.  Just need a few more block mags ans only my 1911 is NJ kosher at the time.

I'm already a member of CJ (and they're the closest), Old Bridge isn't too far; Shongum is a bit of a haul.

If I wanted to participate USPSA my first time there, it looks like I need my pistol, at least 3 mags, a concealed holster and mag pouches. Correct?

41 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I'm already a member of CJ (and they're the closest), Old Bridge isn't too far; Shongum is a bit of a haul.

If I wanted to participate USPSA my first time there, it looks like I need my pistol, at least 3 mags, a concealed holster and mag pouches. Correct?

For USPSA only three mags will probably not be enough - especially in the NJ gulag. Five would be better. You can get by with three for IDPA - but even there, four would be better.

No need for a "concealed" holster. Almost universally, for those divisions that don't allow speed holsters, the go to holster is an OWB Kydex. There are rules on where and how high it is to be positioned on your belt.

The most newbie friendly match in the area - IMHO - is IDPA at Somerset, a week from this Sunday. It is a long day, considering it is only 4 stages, but that is due to the constraints of shooting on an indoor range - which means it isn't weather dependent.

Thanks for the kind words.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

45 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Thanks Bob. No way I can make it to Somerset this month. Maybe another, looks like it'd be 60-90 min for me depending on route and traffic, that's not terrible.

Everyone's names/scores posted online that I've seen, that optional?

I'm sure you could give a pseudonym if you wanted, but the scoring is integral to the match. It determines shooting order and displays shooter information like division and classification.

Don't be bashful - I've been DFL more than I like to admit, but it's just a game. A bad day shooting is better than a good day doing anything else.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 minute ago, Pizza Bob said:

Don't be bashful - I've been DFL more than I like to admit, but it's just a game. A bad day shooting is better than a good day doing anything else.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

There's nothing more relieving than tanking the first stage of the day.

12 hours ago, kc17 said:

It's not really a matter of being bashful or hiding my scores. It's about privacy and not wanting my name published on ANY website.

If you decide to come to a Somerset match I can certainly enter you in the scoring system under a pseudonym, but as Match Director I would need to know your real name.

You can shoot 3 IDPA matches without joining IDPA but would need to join the organisation to shoot your fourth. They are completely online and other members would be able to see your name in the members section after they log in to the IDPA website.

• Thanks 1

@Mr.Stu That is a generous and fair offer, Thank you.

If you don't mind, I may PM you with additional questions in advance of my attendance if I am able to make it in the future. I have zero chance of making it this month. I did download the rule book and have started to familiarize myself with it.

Kevin

I joined IDPA before I shot my first of three (:() matches at Somerset. They sent a nice DVD with explanations of rules and terms and visuals on stages. I was really glad I watched that before I went, because I was at least familiar with the terminology so I didn't have to waste time asking 'what does tactical sequence mean' and the rest. I don't know if they still send that.

But I searched on 'explaining IDPA' on YouTube, and there's a number of videos that seem to do the same thing. I recommend any new IDPA shooter watch them before going to a match.

And, everything in this thread that discussed IDPA hospitality towards new shooters is true. So no one should be embarrassed about going their first time. Take your time the first time out and concentrate on safety first, not speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

If you decide to come to a Somerset match I can certainly enter you in the scoring system under a pseudonym, but as Match Director I would need to know your real name.

You can shoot 3 IDPA matches without joining IDPA but would need to join the organisation to shoot your fourth. They are completely online and other members would be able to see your name in the members section after they log in to the IDPA website.

And correct me if I am wrong, you don't need your tactical fishing vest for the first few matches either, right?

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

And correct me if I am wrong, you don't need your tactical fishing vest for the first few matches either, right?

It's not in the rule book, but at my matches new shooters are required to not wear a concealment garment. I need to see what they are doing and a concealment garment isn't doing it's job if I can see.

If we have a no-light/low-light stage new shooters have to have the lights on...for the same reason.

• Like 3

Yeah stu.  He can use a different name.  Can you count how many different names ive used ?

last few matches ive used my real name. But ive had some great ones ive come up with. :rofl:  Next one ill be.   Papa sicky wifebeater.   

Thats from the mentors. 

3 minutes ago, ESB said:

Is Somerset IDPA matches still going on?  Just looked on the IDPA and didn't see any matches or even a club in Somerset.  Got a link?  

IDPA is dead at SCFGPA - the board there decided we were no longer welcome for reasons not attributable to us, but that's as much as I'll say. (Mum taught me that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing)

I am now running IDPA at Phillipsburg Pistol Club. We have our match on the 3rd Wednesday each month. Find the match registration here: https://practiscore.com/search/matches?query=phillipsburg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ESB said:

Thanks.  I've got a Gen 3 Glock 17 with a RDS on it and a suppressor height fiber optic front sight.  What class would that be?  

I also have a XD-S Mod.2 OSP (3.3") which I think would be BUG, but it also has a RDS.  

If you have an RDS it would be Carry Optics division, regardless of the size of the gun.

• Informative 1