So I'm gonna be getting a bit of extra money this week and was looking at making a knife, specifically knife kits. Wanted to ask a couple questions about them and just get your guy's opinion on them, and to clear up a couple things that I'm unsure about.

1: Are they OK to ship to NJ? I don't think they're illegal, or prohibited, or anything like that, but just want to make sure.

2: What do you guys suggest I get for a fairly non expensive kit? I've been looking around and found a few things that make me drool, but I appreciate your input and opinions.

3: How easy would you say it is for a complete newb to put together?

from time to time i make a few knives well i buy a blank blade and i make the hilt and or handle. if you are just wanting to do this pm me and i will give you step by step directions on how i do it. it is easy to do with relatively few tools.

I'd eventually like to start working from blanks, but not until I get a bit of experience under my belt first. Figure I can't really screw anything up in a kit.

I probably have a majority of the hand tools to work from a blank though.

You can buy pre-sharpened blades like this Mora: http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/FT311/Morakniv-Mora-of-Sweden-Laminated-Steel-Knifemaking-Blades-Clip-Blade#reviews And just focus on making the handles for now.

There is no reason why kits would be illegal unless the kit is for a switchblade or double-edged dagger which is unlikely.

How about making a railroad spike knife?

All you need are some railroad spikes, an anvil (or even just a vise that has an anvil), some sort of grill or fire pit, and a couple hammers. He uses a belt sander to speed up the process but you can do the same thing with regular sandpaper and steel wool (and a lot more time and blisters lol)

It's all art, pretty much free to make, and the results can be amazing. I've been wanting to try it myself too, maybe this winter.

Also some cool videos on how to make knives from files:

You can buy pre-sharpened blades like this Mora: http://www2.knifecen...p-Blade#reviews And just focus on making the handles for now.

There is no reason why kits would be illegal unless the kit is for a switchblade or double-edged dagger which is unlikely.

I hear Mora's are awesome blades. Once I get some more money I'll probably end up getting one and get a handle shaped up for it.

I think I've found my starter blank from here: http://www.888knivesrus.com/product/BL7713/BL7713-CLIP-POINT-BLADE-BLANK-WBRASS-GUARD-7-0V.html

Not expensive at all, so if it gets all FUBAR, I'm only out like 10 plus shipping. Not a bad deal at all IMO. And thanks for confirming my suspicions. Although, I wonder if a lawful purpose would encompass making a dagger for the purposes of collecting. Might be something I'll look into later.

Thanks for the videos Raj. I could probably get a couple rail road spikes when they redo the rail lines for Dupont Chambers Works down here. Seems they redo 'em every year or so.

I thought about doing a file knife. My problem is getting a fire going hot enough to anneal the steel to work on. Theres a guy who sells used tools just over the bridge at a flea market so I could get a couple really cheap.

I thought about doing a file knife. My problem is getting a fire going hot enough to anneal the steel to work on.

I am having the same issue. I think that a Propylene torch (the yellow tanks at Home Depot) should do the trick but I haven't tried it yet. If not I may try and make a small brick oven in the winter time. If I do try the Propylene I will let you know.

I am having the same issue. I think that a Propylene torch (the yellow tanks at Home Depot) should do the trick but I haven't tried it yet. If not I may try and make a small brick oven in the winter time. If I do try the Propylene I will let you know.

Definitely let me know.

I thought about looking around for a broken gas grill and use the basin to hold coals. I have an old hair dryer that would work for a blower fan, but again, I'm not sure if it would be enough to reach temp to anneal or heat treat.

You cant get the heat even with a torch. The whole thing has to be the right temp at the same time. if you do it with a torch you will end up with a bent blade.

Direct heat for to long would cause that, but what about light heat treating to slightly anneal the spine?

On a side note, found a whole crap load of e-books, and PDF's on knife making, knife templates, knife designs, blacksmithing and forging.

a guy that I work with is apprenticing under his father who has the title of "Master Craftsman Knife Maker." He has made me a couple of things that are awesome. I just sent him an email about this and the link to this thread to see what he has to say. Hopefully we hear back from him. Maybe he knows a starter kit or something like that.

Here is one he made me a while back.

shane2.jpg

So the fun money I was supposed to be getting, never panned out. Goes to show how one can rely on family to pay you for a service.

But I found a knife in my garage the other day. Its an I.P Hyde Square Knife. Had a leather handle which I promptly tore off, and yesterday I cut the rivets, bored the holes in the handle (Titanium drill bits rock BTW), sanded and filed the general handle shape. Today after lunch, I plan on tracing my blade profile, and cutting it out (I'm either gonna use a Rotozip with metal cutting blade, or air tool grinder).

7684798884_d8ab17a6c0.jpg

7695543032_1f2976a190.jpg

Right side after two days of work. The masking tape is a marker for my sharpening stone.

7695543172_e27c1c0cb5.jpg

Left side.

The handle is going to be Desert Iron Wood (not pictured). The two slabs are Acacia and Cherry.

Jon. Do it man. I have very little experience or skill with something like this, but I've had a lot of fun working on it the past few days. Time just gets away from me when I'm in the garage working on it.

So I took a break from working on this for a week or so. Family from Florida were up, weekend in Maryland, and then a cold. So I've been either busy or sick. Today is really the first day I've been in the garage working on it.

7776369894_4443aaa7fd.jpg

Over all progress with test fit handle. Handle material is Acacia, roughly 4mm thick.

7776369550_60672e4edf.jpg

Close up of the test fit. Just held on by masking tape at the moment. Plan on using 3/16 diameter brass rod or steel. The steel I have lying around, which is what I may go with.

7776369294_fc902fef7a.jpg

Close up of the blade profile, and crappy bevel. Next one I make is going to be as close to a flat grind as possible and done with files. The bench grinder just messed me up when doing this.

So after taking a break, I finally finished it. Not happy with how the scales turned out, but live and learn.

7975273867_964de2031c_z.jpg

7975274614_4363d1e596_z.jpg

And just a size comparison to my hand

7975273733_fd81798a15_z.jpg

I don't like real thick, or real thin handles. And this one feels just right. Its got just enough thickness to feel comfortable, at least for me.

looks good man. i was wondering what happened to this project.i still have the first knife i made it is my truck knife. It looks like a hunk of junk but i love it because it was my first. You should check out knifefourms.com they have a ton of knife and knife makeing related info. Plus some of the mods there are world famous knife makers so if you have any questions they are the ones that will have the answer.

looks good man. i was wondering what happened to this project.i still have the first knife i made it is my truck knife. It looks like a hunk of junk but i love it because it was my first. You should check out knifefourms.com they have a ton of knife and knife makeing related info. Plus some of the mods there are world famous knife makers so if you have any questions they are the ones that will have the answer.

I'll definitely check them out. I've been going to bushcraftusa, and checking out their forum and they have a couple guys who really know what they're doing.