9supratt4

8 years old too young to learn to respect guns?

I have an 8 year-old godson and reading about tragedies that happen when kids are around unprotected guns, I've been thinking about showing him what they actually look like in person...what they feel like...what the bullets look like....etc. And of course what to do if a friend pulls one out or something.

Do you all think 8 years-old is too young? I'm thinking not, but wanted to get other opinions.

No. Not at all. It is all about your observations of that child's maturity.

For example, I have a 12 year old niece that tries to do stunts to impress her friends. Her parents and I do not think it is a good idea to intoduce her to guns.

her younger sister is 5. She has litterally taken the time to inform every one in her house and her visitors that they should take caution on the kitchen floor because someone spilled some water. My wife and I bought her some tiny traffic cones to place whenever she feels there is danger.

I would take the 5 year old shooting first.

My oldest daughter was 4 when I first took her to the range. Her education about guns started earlier than that. I was a police officer and she saw guns everyday.

It all depends on the individual. My daughter got to understand what guns do at a early age. Some people are 40 and shouldn't be anywhere near a gun. You just have to be sure you put it in a context she can understand.

No. 8 is not too young to learn.

My son is 3 and he is learning the rules of firearm safety and the basic components of a firearm. I let him come in my gun room regularly. He does not know where my keys are locked. All of my guns in my gun room are unloaded and have chamber flags installed so I can tell at a glance that they are unloaded. I have a target taped to one of my safes. He knows the safes are the safe direction. He muzzle sweeps me, when he does I ask him "please point to the muzzle". He does. "where is the muzzle pointing?" "are you supposed to point the muzzle at daddy?". "Where is the safe direction". He is getting it, I'm being swept by the muzzle much less now then I was 4 months ago.

It takes time, patience and effort. I set my guy up with a sand bag and play spotter for his imaginary rounds (he always hits the bulls eye). But I make it fun and incorperate learning into it as well. Of one of us is tired or grumpy we don't do it. I want it to ba a positive experience each time and it's better to say no guns tonight then to give in and end on a bad note.

BTW. Ammo is secured separately and he has not handled ammo. He "shoots" prone and pulls the trigger. I don't do anything with action work at this point.

I think bulpup hit the nail on the head, it's all about the child's maturity level; and whether you believe they can fully comprehend and retain the information given to them.

I don't have any kids but IMO you are never to young to learn firearms safety(what to do if you see a gun, etc).

My son was ready to go to the range at age 4, so that's when I took him. Prior to that we had little "mini-lessons" and I got him an Eddie Eagle coloring book which made learning gun safety even more fun. He'd learn with Daddy, then take the coloring book to the range. This way he had something to do that was both fun and shooting related while I competed in various disciplines. I always encouraged him to handle (under strict supervision), and safety flag my firearms. That took the MYSTERY out of it, all of the while reinforcing SAFETY. When I first took him to the range, I explained that people were made of 75% water. I made him watch a 12 ga. slug blow-up a water-filled gallon milk jug, then we talked about how important it was for that to never happen to people, in terms he understood. It didn't scare him, it just reinforced all of the reasons for taking safety measures each time you handle a firearm. We never had a "sweeping problem". I explained the difference between what Daddy did and video games, and how there's no "re-start button" in real life. He took it all in stride, and was always mindful of which way he pointed his muzzle on his very own .22 Youth Model Single-Shot Trainer I bought him. That was over 18 years ago. Since then he has been a really safe shooter, and has been my assistant many times over these past 18 years while I've instructed Scouts and others how to safely use rifles, pistols and shotguns.

The main point I'm bringing to the thread here is to take the MYSTERY out of it. Then the Kids will be a lot less inclined to go on a search for firearms. And USE the Eddie Eagle Program materials to teach Kids what to do if they or a friend "find" a gun without a Parent or adult around.

Lastly, I agree with bulpup about the 12 year old. It's a stage that she's going through, so now is NOT the time to start teaching gun safety. It's too late for her right now, as it would have been better to do it a couple years ago. This is a classic example of why you shouldn't wait for them to hit middle school. In another year or two, she'll grow-up a little more emotionally and be ready once more.

Just some thoughts from someone who's been there.......

Dave

I'm a father to be, and I plan in teaching my daughter as soon as I feel that she is ready to learn. If the child us mature, can comprehend, retain, and utilize the lessons and practices you teach them they are ready to start the process. On another note, if at anytime you get that feeling that the information is not being detained, and or that they aren't interested, maybe it they aren't ready, or lack interest.

I wasn't brought up around guns, mama hates them, dad just didn't have the time or money. But I remember my first pocket knife, my dad spent more time showing me how to widdle, sharpen and safely use my knife then anything else. At times I wasn't ready, he would take it away, the sense of ownership of the knife though made me correct my.mistakes and I learned from them. For me it was a great way to learn some responsibility and have those father son moments you see on tv.

Good luck, I hope they share the interest with you. Hell I.hope the same for me and my soon to be daughter, or the pink ar I plan to.build.her will be a waste

My grandfather took me hunting with him at 4, and I learned to shoot at 6. Of course there were guns all over the house so it was an import thing to learn about.

If you really really want to teach them good though, after shooting triple check it to make sure it's empty and then teach him how to clean it. For some reason that always stuck with me and reminded me it wasn't a toy.

I too was taught at early age. Somewhere around 8-10. The biggest point I agree on is what Smokin .50 said about taking away the mystery. Once I had no questions on how everything worked and knew all of the safety practices, it was no longer something I wanted to meddle in while nobody was looking (as kids love to do). I knew that as long as I was supervised, I could play all I wanted. That kept me from trying to sneak, as I wasnt affraid to ask. When children grow up around guns and proper safety, I firmly believe that it just becomes second nature. They always say that the earlier a child learns something, the better they are with it.

It all depends on the individual. My daughter got to understand what guns do at a early age. Some people are 40 and shouldn't be anywhere near a gun. You just have to be sure you put it in a context she can understand.

This!

The main point I'm bringing to the thread here is to take the MYSTERY out of it. Then the Kids will be a lot less inclined to go on a search for firearms. And USE the Eddie Eagle Program materials to teach Kids what to do if they or a friend "find" a gun without a Parent or adult around.

This was in fact one of my other reasons I thought it would be good to do. The whole mystery aspect. His grandmother HATES guns...doesn't even like it when he is near my airsoft....so I think it is up to me to do these things when they aren't around. His mother is much more receptive though.

MHO, dude. Do NOTHING with your godson when his parents or responsible guardian aren't around. If his grandma hates guns, that's one thing. Don't inject yourself into making decisions that his parents should make. My advice is to make the case to his parents, and get their blessing. Teach him gun safety in their presence because they need to learn it too.

I know if it were one of my kids, I would be PISSED if someone took steps to put a firearm in their hands without my consent, blessing and supervision.

It is not UP to you to do anything if his parents do not wish it. Even if his parents are ANTIs, who want to raise up a little ANTI, that is their business to do.

If this was not your intent, I apologize for coming off gruff. However, this is what i inferred from your previous post.

It's never to early to teach a child to respect the dangers of a firearm ala Eddy eagle's see a gun, leave it alone, get an adult.

Now teaching them to USE a firearm is another story all together. As others have said it depends on the maturity of the child.

I have an 8 year-old godson and reading about tragedies that happen when kids are around unprotected guns, I've been thinking about showing him what they actually look like in person...what they feel like...what the bullets look like....etc. And of course what to do if a friend pulls one out or something.

Do you all think 8 years-old is too young? I'm thinking not, but wanted to get other opinions.

I started teaching my daughter at 6 about the safety rules, as well as knowing she was ONLY allowed to touch a firearm with me there, checked with occasional Integrity checks using an airsoft gun..every time she came and got myself or my wife without touching the airsoft...so she got her AR (.22) after she finished school at 8 yrs old

Honestly, I would think an introduction to it, what it is, and explain to them to stay away from them and stuff would be good. I know I learned (to many, Ironically) safe handling of firearms and stuff from airsoft. In game of course, we'd shoot each other ( depending on distance, too close and you call a "safety" so you don't hurt them at close range). Anyway, I learned how to properly handle them during set-up for games, never to point them at anything I didn't want to destroy, to always ensure they're unloaded, and to have the safety on, things like that.

I plan on teaching my niece/goddaughter when she's old enough. My brother in law, who owns a gun, thinks 8 is a bit young, but he's waiting on her to get interested, I imagine he'll eventually teach her to respect them (Currently it's not where she can get it, and the magazine is kept away from the gun.)

Just spoke to his mother again tonight while out with her for dinner.

She agrees and wants me to show him what they are and explain to him the damage that they cause.

Her reasoning, which is also my reasoning, is he is a very curious kid. So taking the mystery out of it would be good for him. And he always listens to what I say and usually does what I say....more so than his own mother LOL.

James , maybe we'll be both getting our kids together at OB someday soon :) Molly ( almost 6) has not.stopped.talking about it to me. We plan to join OB hopefully in September ( I have surgery coming up that will knock me out of play until late August) ..my daughter will be 6 in October , and I think I know what she is getting for her birthday :)

I'll be picking up a cheap airsoft too so we can practice the rules in the yard. Also have to figure out if she is cross dominant..it seems she may be.

Stuff to look forward to!

OP- I agree with everyone else . It depends on the kid . Molly was definitely ready at 5 and enjoyed her lesson with Dave. My son? He is 4. Let's just say he is not ready lol

As already mentioned, you need to make the call based on the child's maturity level and how responsible they are. I went hunting with my father(not carrying a gun) starting at 8yrs old, and carried a shotgun into the field at 10, according to current NJ Law. My father made sure I had plenty of practice before that day to ensure I could make a clean and humane kill. I honestly couldn't tell you when I started shooting, as it was probably 4 or 5yo.

My son was ready at seven - spent a few training sessions ahead of time going over the firearms, how to clear a malfunction, place the weapon on safe etc etc. Muzzle sweep is a constant reminder along with keep the barrel up and down range and I think for children - it needs to be drilled into their head constantly. He progressed from BB gun to .22. I am keeping him on the .22 for a while until he can breakdown and clean the larger cals and the handguns he doesn't get to shoot them - thats our deal.

all my kids were shooting at age 5 , the sooner the better very young shooters are well disciplined..

I still have the chipmunk 22lr all my kids started on.. my daughter really liked this gun, she was able to also shoot shorts out of it which was great for teaching..

Some may think I am crazy but at 2 I've started my daughter with the "no touch, get mommy"

Cleared, chamber plug and verified by the wife, I have tested her by leaving the pistol on the table. Once she notices it she runs to my wife. A step in the right direction.

Some may think I am crazy but at 2 I've started my daughter with the "no touch, get mommy"

Cleared, chamber plug and verified by the wife, I have tested her by leaving the pistol on the table. Once she notices it she runs to my wife. A step in the right direction.

I agree its never too early to teach basic safety. My son knows there are three basic rules if he comes into contact with a gun and im not around.

1. Dont touch it?

2. Get away from it.

3. Tell me or Mommy

Number 2 being the most important. Especially if its discovered with some friends that dont know any better. He's practiced with airsoft and handled my pistols now that he's a bit older but every child should atleast know what to do if they find one. You would be surprised how many kids will reply "keep it" when asked what to do if they find a gun. Like everyone has said already the first step should be to take the mystery out of it.