9supratt4

8 years old too young to learn to respect guns?

Had him over tonight so while him and his mother were there I pulled out my two guns...his eyes went huge...I let him hold them...explained how they work and how harmful they can be...let him ask questions...and showed him how they work. Definitely took the mystery out. Explained to him what to do I'd he saw one or was at a friends house and there was one. I definitely think this was a good thing. He even thanked me for teaching him when he was leaving...now to get him shooting. But I don't think mom is ready for that.......

Good job Sir!

As far as the Mom goes, maybe you could arrange to take her shooting just to show her what you want to show the boy. Do you have a Boy's rifle to do this with? It won't do you any good to show Mom a .45 auto 1911 cause the recoil and bang is too much for small shooters.....

Allay her fears and let her have a little plinking fun. Then the two of you can discuss how and when to offer some instruction to the boy. If you can just get her out once, you'll be teaching the boy in no time. Mom just may want to "control" information or experiences. Instead of cutting the umbilicle cord, maybe you can get her to let "some line out" on the fishing pole of life.......

Good job Sir!

As far as the Mom goes, maybe you could arrange to take her shooting just to show her what you want to show the boy. Do you have a Boy's rifle to do this with? It won't do you any good to show Mom a .45 auto 1911 cause the recoil and bang is too much for small shooters.....

Allay her fears and let her have a little plinking fun. Then the two of you can discuss how and when to offer some instruction to the boy. If you can just get her out once, you'll be teaching the boy in no time. Mom just may want to "control" information or experiences. Instead of cutting the umbilicle cord, maybe you can get her to let "some line out" on the fishing pole of life.......

She has already told me that she wants to go shooting. So that's step one.

For him I have an old Marlin Model 60 (that I modified to only accept 15 rounds) that shoots .22lr. It's not a kids stock, but he can probably handle it with some help. I'll try and find a kids stock for it....not sure they make one though....but wouldn't that offset the balance of the gun with a shorter stock?

Marlin Model 60 stocks aren't THAT long, so you may get away with it, OR you could maybe find a used one at a Gun Show and cut the back of it a few inches to make it fit. Don't be overly worried about balance--the kid isn't going to the Olympics just yet--it's WAY more important for the gun to fit his smaller frame. A cheap, used "beater" rifle may be less than a new stock, so don't forget to ask around for a beater for parts!

I bought my son a Marlin Little Buckaroo .22 S-L-LR single-shot over 18 years ago. That thing still hits pop cans at 50 yards all day long!