Teky0101

AR Gas Tube Cleaning?

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know the best way to clean out a gas tube on an ar15? I have been experiencing some feeding issues lately where one round ejects gets stuck loading the second round. It sticks so bad that I have to pull on the charging handle really hard, ejecting the round which then crimps the case destroying the bullet.

I'm no AR expert, but are you sure your issue is due to an occluded gas tube? I thought gas tubes rarely, if ever, needed cleaning (usually good for 10,000 rounds or more)

I'd be looking elsewhere for your feeding problem. Is the bcg running smoothly back and forth? Any issues with your magazine, feed lips, magazine follower or feed ramps?

I'm no AR expert, but are you sure your issue is due to an occluded gas tube? I thought gas tubes rarely, if ever, needed cleaning (usually good for 10,000 rounds or more)

I'd be looking elsewhere for your feeding problem. Is the bcg running smoothly back and forth? Any issues with your magazine, feed lips, magazine follower or feed ramps?

I agree with the above, how did you come to the conclusion it's the gas system?

I'm not clear on what's happening-- The old round ejects, and the new round sticks in the chamber?

If you can give a detailed description (or picture) of how it jams and when, I'm sure someone can help you :)

Thank you for the help, the gun chambers and fires but when the round ejects the next round gets stuck inside the magazine with the bolt face on top mangling the next round. Anyone have any ideas? It seemed to do this a lot with remmington ammo but when I switched to my usual PMC X-tac it only did it twice. The mags are good since they are pmags and shoot great. I thinks its an issue with my gun it shot wonderful up to this point.

Your're probably just undergassed.

As others have mentioned, it is unlikely that your gas tube is fouled as 10,000 psi of gas pressure passing through won't leave built up carbon crud in there. I'm quite sure that if you use 5.56mm NATO ammo, you'll won't have a problem with cycling.

To help with your issues, you could;

1) A good general clean of the BCG.

2) Use better ammo.

3) Lighter(lower power) buffer spring

4) Lighter hammer spring

5) Lighter buffer

Of course, you could also enlarge the gas port in the barrel.

Get some spray degreaser, I use the Orange organic crap, take your bcg apart spray down the parts. Let it sit for atleast 20 minutes, do the same to your upper, spray it down and let it sit. U can't use to much so.use a lot. Spray it all down with hot water and wipe dry. This should clean up all the loose carbon and old grease. Next take the internals of your bcgn inspect.for any cracks, broken springs (extractor spring) and make sure the rings are intact and move freely. Now.check the neck of the bolt, if there is a lot of built up carbon there soak in some.hooppes and scrub with a brass brush. Now clean the inside of the bolt carrier. Lightly lubricate the moving parts and reassemble. Put a few drops of good oil on the out if the bcg and rub it around. I add one drop to the actual upper towards the back and let her run. If its still not chambering a round a part is failing. Try new mags and someone elses bcg.

Can also be a really dirty feed ramp, if you don't have the tools to remove the barrel, spraying hoppes right in there, and using a brass 22 cleaning set up with a plastic rod so.u can bend it a little will help. Use a qtip to get as much loose crap out of there, then spray again with hoppes, rinse it out, dry and see what happens. Doubt its a gas tube issue. Oh yea check ur buffers, pull it out and clean it up, Maybe some dirt in there not letting the spring reset the bcg propperly or fast enough. If ur local to me you can use my.mags and bcg if u want to narrow down your issues

Your're probably just undergassed.

As others have mentioned, it is unlikely that your gas tube is fouled as 10,000 psi of gas pressure passing through won't leave built up carbon crud in there. I'm quite sure that if you use 5.56mm NATO ammo, you'll won't have a problem with cycling.

To help with your issues, you could;

1) A good general clean of the BCG. Yes and check the gas key for dirt or loosness

2) Use better ammo. Always

3) Lighter(lower power) buffer spring NG, It sounds like it worked previously

4) Lighter hammer spring NG, It sounds like it worked previously

5) Lighter buffer NG, It sounds like it worked previously

Of course, you could also enlarge the gas port in the barrel. Absolutely not if it worked before

Sounds like it is short stroking. A good cleaning and run wet. Try again. Clean gas tube is ok esspecially if you were shooting cheap commie stuff at any time. Just dry out the tube when you're done.

To check the mag, drop the bolt from lock on a mag with one or two rounds to check for a weak spring. Do it under safe conditions please.

To me it sounds that he has a marginally undergassed and short stroking, which is proably why is 5.56 ammo works better than the Rem 223. Going to lighter springs/buffer and a larger gas port will help his situation.

Some oil is good, but overlubing just blows oil in your face when you start shooting.

Sounds like it is short stroking. A good cleaning and run wet. Try again. Clean gas tube is ok esspecially if you were shooting cheap commie stuff at any time. Just dry out the tube when you're done.

To check the mag, drop the bolt from lock on a mag with one or two rounds to check for a weak spring. Do it under safe conditions please.

To me it sounds that he has a marginally undergassed and short stroking, which is proably why is 5.56 ammo works better than the Rem 223. Going to lighter springs/buffer and a larger gas port will help his situation.

Some oil is good, but overlubing just blows oil in your face when you start shooting.

I tend to agree with you. My BIG question was it working before and with what ammo?

What exactly do you think a $0.05 pipe cleaner is going to get out of the way that 15,000 to 20,000 PSI is not?

It sounds like you are under gassed and short stroking. Whose barrel, waht length gas system, what gas block, what buffer, what buffer spring, what BCG, what bolt, what mags. what weight bullet?

I have an s&w m&P Optics Ready Compliant. Its a 16" barrel without a comp and has a 1/9" twist. The gas system is a standard ar gas system not sure about the buffer and springs its stock with the gun. I did however change the stock a while back to an ACE Skeleton Entry stock. The bolt is a standard s&w bolt. I am using capped PMAGS and PMC X-TAX 62 grain Green Tip. I have shot many rounds in its current config without and it functioned awesome. Not sure what happed when I cleaned it. I will check the gas key screws to make sure they are tight, where are they located?

I don't know if this is an issue here or not. Added a sling mount to a A2 type stock recently. The kit included a new stock retainer screw for the added space from the end of the existing tube and the butt end of the stock. After installing it the BCG didnt fully cycle, stopping short of a full stroke. Took out screw and replaced and problem when away. Cause....the screw was too long not letting the buffer fully cycle and holding up the BCG. That is the first time I ever experienced something that weird.

The issue actually started right after I cleaned it. I am going to clean it again and inspect the parts.

worked properly

you cleaned it

now does not work properly

logic tells me you likely did something wrong and it has nothing to do with any complicated solution..

I went to a local gun shop today to pick up my fathers gun which we had blued for fathers day. While I was there I spoke with the owner who is a fantasic gun smith. He told me a few things that can cause a short stroke in an AR. One thing was the gas key screws getting loose and this can happen after staking. Other issues include the buffer not being turned the right direction, bad buffer tube springs, to much oil and weak gas seals on the bolt. I also asked about the gas tube and cleaning it and he advised me never to stick anything is the gas tube since it gets obstructed and would require a large dissassembly to fix this issue. I am going to check out the gun shortly to see what's going on. Thank you for your help everyone!