voyager9

Range bag/case

I'm new to going to ranges so I'm looking for opinons.. what do you guys usually take with you to the range (to shoot pistol). How do you store/organize/transport it? Are there any bags/cases/whatever you'd recommend to store and transport the assorted detritus? Obviously hearing/eye protection, ammo, and firearm but is there anything else you'd throw in?

The range bags midwayusa overs are excellent, I have one and love it.

only problem is , so does everybody else.

At the range during competitions it's a sea of black midway range bags, so be sure to pickup the right one when you walk off !

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939259680/midwayusa-competition-range-bag

Bring lots of targets and SPECIALLY A STAPLER!!! Lots of bottled water too, in this hot weather your gonna need some drinks. I also bring a leather an multi tool just in case. For a range bag cheaper than dirt has a nice one I've been completely satisified with and only $20 plus. Tons of pockets and molle straps

I'm new to going to ranges so I'm looking for opinons.. what do you guys usually take with you to the range (to shoot pistol). How do you store/organize/transport it? Are there any bags/cases/whatever you'd recommend to store and transport the assorted detritus? Obviously hearing/eye protection, ammo, and firearm but is there anything else you'd throw in?

First +1 on the Midway Competititon Bag, they'd be good at twice the price. The large one is about $50 shipped, hard to beat.

For contents, good eye and ear pro, make sure you have some foamies to put under your over ear protection if you're on an indoor.

Some basic tools to fix little things, maybe some parts for the common stuff that might go south. also lube and some cleaning wipes.

FIRST AID gear. Gunshot wounds happen on the range, you don't want to rely on anyone else for the right gear. I never go near a range without an IFAK

http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/store/Products_Detail.php?ProductID=56

I also routinely carry some Benadryl, Tylenol and sunscreen.

A couple of pens, something to write on, a sharpie or two,

whatever you need to fasten targets depending on your range. I like 3m spray adhesive

I keep a pair of leather work gloves stashed in a pocket, you never know when you might have to move target frames or steel.

A good flashlight or two

Spare knife

There's probably a bit more, but that should get you started

I've never bought into the idea of paying for range bags. I use large, sturdy gym/duffle bags that can be found at garage sales for $2 or even 50 cents. They can last years. Preferably with separate pockets for all the odds & ends.If I'm bringing a bunch of HGs I dbl them up in the foam cases but wrap them in socks first. And always bring some kind of drink & snack, cant focus with a rumbling belly.

I bought 2 LA Police gear's Bail out bags when they were $14.99 {now $19.99} and it affords me more than enough room for a day at the range.

10 loaded 15 round mags.

Letterman multitool.

200+ rounds.

2 hand guns.

Eyes and ears, disposable silicone ear plugs.

Stapler,extra staples.

First Aid kit.

Eye wash.

Hand wipes.

2 small flash lights.

Small tape measure.

1 fixed blade.

Small field glasses.

Small cleaning kit,precision oil needle, screw driver with multiple tips.Loctite blue.

Sharpies,Painter's tape,Pens,small pad,2 large file clips,Nylon zip ties.

Water,gum,energy bar.

Can't beat this, especially at the price.

http://www.lapoliceg...tabaoutbag.html

Yep, they are sturdy,have numerous compartments,even a hidden one where I keep notes and p2p copies for my guns just in case.My second is a primary BOB that holds everything but food and water.

Thanks all for the comments and ideas. While I'm not looking to spend much money just because something says "Range bag", I still want to come prepared and have things organized.

I bought 2 LA Police gear's Bail out bags when they were $14.99 {now $19.99} and it affords me more than enough room for a day at the range.

10 loaded 15 round mags.

200+ rounds.

2 hand guns.

Looking at this list got me confused. Do you transport the bag like this? I thought transporting loaded mags was verboten, as was transporting the firearm in the same container as ammo. Is it still legit if they're in separate containers but those bags in the same "range bag"?

Ideally I'd like a single bag that I store at home semi-complete. When it's time to go to the Range I grab that, the firearm(s) from the safe, and the ammo and off I go.

Thanks all for the comments and ideas. While I'm not looking to spend much money just because something says "Range bag", I still want to come prepared and have things organized.

Looking at this list got me confused. Do you transport the bag like this? I thought transporting loaded mags was verboten, as was transporting the firearm in the same container as ammo. Is it still legit if they're in separate containers but those bags in the same "range bag"?

Ideally I'd like a single bag that I store at home semi-complete. When it's time to go to the Range I grab that, the firearm(s) from the safe, and the ammo and off I go.

You are to be forgiven for your confusion simply because transport of guns and ammo in NJ is confusing but if you look on the right hand side of the main forum page you will see where Vladtepes have cited and simplified the most confusing ones into a handy, easy to read guide. Please scan it at your leisure.

My bag is always packed as I've listed except that my guns remain loaded with defensive rounds in several parts of the house as I have no little kids running around, otherwise a safe is recommended. Depending on the vehicle, I transport the guns in zippered gun rugs in the same bag.

A short answer to your question is a loaded mag in a separate compartment of the same bag as the unloaded gun is perfectly legal to transport within some clearly defined conditions. I have won money betting with a veteran RO on this point after he confirmed it with a State Trooper. I like to spend my range time shooting not reloading, as for the bag ?,I highly recommend it simply because it's compact,cheap and sturdy and doesn't scream Range Bag.

Thanks Duppie.. that summary was pretty informative. Here's the link in case anyone searches: NJ Gun Law Summary.

The applicable section to this conversation:

How To Transport

• Unloaded: The firearm must be unloaded, as in there must be no ammunition in the gun. NJ defines the word firearm meaning the actual gun, under current law transportation of a loaded magazine would not be considered a loaded gun
  • Cased/Wrapped: If the vehicle has a defined trunk separate from the passenger compartment, the firearms are to put in the trunk. If no trunk is present (as in a SUV) the firearm must be in a fastened case/wrapped/etc.
  • Destination: It is important to recognize that NJ dictates that your course of travel while transporting firearms should be as direct as is reasonably possible.

Also listed in that (and in various threads under NJ Gun Law forum) is the interpretation that firearm and ammo can be in the same bag as long as they are separated from eachother.. either separate containers in the main bag, or separate (zippered) sections of the bag.

Thanks Duppie.. that summary was pretty informative. Here's the link in case anyone searches: NJ Gun Law Summary.

The applicable section to this conversation:

Also listed in that (and in various threads under NJ Gun Law forum) is the interpretation that firearm and ammo can be in the same bag as long as they are separated from eachother.. either separate containers in the main bag, or separate (zippered) sections of the bag.

Inevitably that is one of the questions that is a source of contention with new and at times not so new gun owners in NJ,so we will generally steer them to the sticky on the main page.

I drive a estate wagon so I have a lock box in the rear that I transport my guns to and from the range to remain compliant,but then transfer them to my bag in the parking lot so as not to deal with 2 heavy items at the range.

Inevitably that is one of the questions that is a source of contention with new and at times not so new gun owners in NJ,so we will generally steer them to the sticky on the main page.

Aye. The confusion is clear just reading through the NJ Gun Laws threads but there is lots of good info there. It doesn't help that the NJSP website contradicts the statutes in many areas.. maybe that is because they also deal with inter-state transport where FOPA applies.

I drive a estate wagon so I have a lock box in the rear that I transport my guns to and from the range to remain compliant,but then transfer them to my bag in the parking lot so as not to deal with 2 heavy items at the range.

In reading those threads, you don't technically need the guns locked in the vehicle, right

Cased/Wrapped: If the vehicle has a defined trunk separate from the passenger compartment, the firearms are to put in the trunk. If no trunk is present (as in a SUV) the firearm must be in a fastened case/wrapped/etc.

Sounds like you could keep the guns in the range bag as long as they're in separate containers/sections of the bag from the ammo.

Aye. The confusion is clear just reading through the NJ Gun Laws threads but there is lots of good info there. It doesn't help that the NJSP website contradicts the statutes in many areas.. maybe that is because they also deal with inter-state transport where FOPA applies.

In reading those threads, you don't technically need the guns locked in the vehicle, right

Sounds like you could keep the guns in the range bag as long as they're in separate containers/sections of the bag from the ammo.

Quite right, it can be in a secured holder but because we use that car for our long distance trips out of state, sometimes with firearms,I thought it best to install a locking box.When driving to the range in a buddy's car with a trunk,I pack everything in the one bag, again securing the pistols in zippered gun rugs.