DTtuner

AR Pistols Legal in NJ?

you know, it's halloween, so let's raise the dead.

https://fightlite.com/collections/fightlite-raider-pistol/products/fightlite-raider-pistol-m-lok-5-56-nato

FightLite_Raider_M-Lok_-Left_4994b182-d6

so where does this run afoul?  weight is too high (62.4oz) and it has a hand guard, are two I see immediately.  does the mag outside of "pistol grip" apply, since it doesn't even HAVE a pistol grip?

Sorry to raise this from the dead. But what if it has an OAL of greater than 26" (say with an 11.5" barrel and full length buffer tube) v-  so it's not actually a "pistol" but instead it's a "firearm" as per ATF classification.  What happens then?

47 minutes ago, ClangClang said:

Sorry to raise this from the dead. But what if it has an OAL of greater than 26" (say with an 11.5" barrel and full length buffer tube) v-  so it's not actually a "pistol" but instead it's a "firearm" as per ATF classification.  What happens then?

What do you hope to gain? A rifle with a 14.5" barrel can be <30".

14 minutes ago, PK90 said:

What do you hope to gain? A rifle with a 14.5" barrel can be <30".

I'm wondering if a "firearm" would be exempt from all the requirements set forth in the statute which specifically pertain to "semi-automatic pistols."

I pulled this from the web. It is equipped with a Tailhook forearm brace. According to the ATF definition, this  is a "firearm" and not a "pistol" - therefore, would it be legal in NJ? (Ignore the LAW folder for the purposes of this discussion).

Josh-Wayner-SBR.jpg&f=1

7 minutes ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

There is no "other" under NJ law. All firearms are either a handgun or a long gun and all appropriate AWB rules would apply.

That is not 100% true, as the State only has a check point on the On Line NICS check for Hg or LG, but the state does recognise the Tac-14 & Shockwave as a "Firearm" which is checked as 'other" on the 4473

4 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

That is not 100% true, as the State only has a check point on the On Line NICS check for Hg or LG, but the state does recognise the Tac-14 & Shockwave as a "Firearm" which is checked as 'other" on the 4473

They go out on a COE, so the state has determined them to be long guns - just not a "shotgun" - what the feds do on a 4473 isn't relative to NJ law

14 minutes ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

They go out on a COE, so the state has determined them to be long guns - just not a "shotgun" - what the feds do on a 4473 isn't relative to NJ law

if they are not rifles or shotguns - they are 'other"

The State considers them both Firearms................

12 hours ago, PK90 said:

So you hope to gain a flash hider or bayonet lug?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

Huh? No.  I hope to ascertain whether an AR-pattern firearm with with a sub 16" barrel and forearm brace is actually legal in NJ (provided it has an OAL of >26") due to the wording of the current statute which specifically restricts pistols.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:38 PM, ClangClang said:

Huh? No.  I hope to ascertain whether an AR-pattern firearm with with a sub 16" barrel and forearm brace is actually legal in NJ (provided it has an OAL of >26") due to the wording of the current statute which specifically restricts pistols.

this. I asked this on another thread earlier today. 

Also, I wonder if I build a pistol and add this which changes the action from Semi to single action, then I can have a full blown AR pistol with all the evil features I want.

Yes, the BoltCatcher would change the AR (rifle or pistol) to a non-semiauto for a right handed shooter.

Better solution for a southpaw is the Tier 5 Solutions MBC (modified bolt catch). It also does not interfere with the use of the Norgon Ambi Mag Release device (that as a southpaw, I have on all my AR-platform weapons)

I spoke to an FFL yesterday who is also a LEO and was told, figuratively yes that will work but could run in to trouble in NJ. So it’s up to me if it’s worth the headache or not. I suppose if I go that route I will have to order both the lever and the lower at the same time.

I spoke to an FFL yesterday who is also a LEO and was told, figuratively yes that will work but could run in to trouble in NJ. So it’s up to me if it’s worth the headache or not. I suppose if I go that route I will have to order both the lever and the lower at the same time.
Get yourself an FFL, then you can have what you want.

Get yourself an FFL, then you can have what you want.

I was going to because I am a freelance writer for a few different media outlets, it makes getting RMA’s a lot easier. However I live in a condo and my HOA prohibits running a business from the home. One of the outlets I write for has proposed adding me as an RP to his, but I think that requires us to live in the same state?

So what if you turned it into a permanent fixed magizine and use ma loaders there basically stripper clips

https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/ma-loader-for-ar15

Or the bf 10 loaders 

https://www.bearflagdefense.com/pages/bf-10

And you can always get lightweight carriers and kak just introduced a 4.75" barrel on there Facebook and lightweight skeletonized uppers and lowers you think it could be done