MicroChip

New Member - Glen Rock, NJ

Hey, I've been reading here for a while but finally figured I'd better sign up and post a hello. I also thought it was time I understood a bit of the process since at least for me it hasn't gone great.

My wife and I put in for our FIDs with GRPD in September 2011. I ignored it for a while, waiting for them to call. I was in no hurry. We did everything right away, put all the paperwork in, went and got printed. Finally around the end of 2011 I went in and asked what the hold up was, they told me none of our references came back. I asked our references, very reliable people, and different on both forms (so 4 people) and they said they never got a call or a form in the mail. So I went back and asked the GRPD to resend, and imagine this, all 4 got the forms 2 days later and our FIDs were ready a few days after that. That was mid January 2012. Everyone involved is sure they don't mail the reference forms unless you go back and make them.

I didn't request any P2P's with the FID's. I should have but oh well I'm learning.

I went over there a week ago today with paperwork for a P2P. She told me it had been longer than 6 months, so they had to do references again, and I had to do the background check (that's NICS?), and she said that would be the longest holdup. Now first of all it hadn't been 6 months since the COP signed our permits in January (by a few days), only longer than 6 months if you count that it took them 4 months to get the references and give us our FIDs. I didn't make a big deal, but it's been a week and neither of my references have received the form again.

I'm going over there tomorrow to ask what's up.

Also, how come I have to pay $18 for NICS to get the P2P, and then $18 for NICS at the store when I purchase the handgun? Isn't it the same check for the same gun, twice, and $18 twice?

I won't bother with the "hey what first gun should I buy?" I've got enough friends telling me that, and it doesn't matter until I get this P2P anyway...

Once I've got a firearm, I'll head up to Cherry Ridge on a membership day and join. I've been up there a few times as a guest with friends and their guns. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you there.

MC

Also, how come I have to pay $18 for NICS to get the P2P, and then $18 for NICS at the store when I purchase the handgun? Isn't it the same check for the same gun, twice, and $18 twice?

Once I've got a firearm, I'll head up to Cherry Ridge on a membership day and join. I've been up there a few times as a guest with friends and their guns. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you there.

Howdy from another Bergenite!

The short answer is that it's Jersey. The rest of the country is just fine with an FFL calling the FBI's NICS number directly. It is a free call. However, New Jersey is what's called a "Point of Contact" state. This means that Jersey requires an FFL to call the State Police. The SP then calls the very same FBI NICS number and then charges you $18 for the call. Nice racket, eh?

Good luck with Cherry Ridge, it's not a bad place. Also be sure to chat with some of your fellow shooters. There are some really interesting and nice folks shooting up there.

Regards,

-TS

welcome.gif

1. $18 to the State for SBI-212A when you apply for your permits, plus $2 per permit. EVERY TIME.

2. $15 plus Tax when you purchase a handgun from a dealer. EVERY TIME.

Redundant, yes. #1 should be done away with, as the NICS check at the time of purchase is better and more thorough. There is supposedly a Bill to be introduce to eliminate #1, but we will see what happens.

Because you live in New Jersey, stop asking questions, you!!! Do what you are told!

But seriously, welcome to the forum. If you don't like the rules, watch the video below, join NJ2AS.org and help us fight them.

As they said in the movie Jarhead, "Welcome to the suck!!!". Seriously though, welcome to the forums, hope you get as much out of them as I have thus far. Maybe one day NJ guns laws will make more sense and we won't look enviously at the people across the border in PA. Till then, someone pass the tylenol...

Thanks everyone. Nice to meet you all.

I dropped by to check on my p2p. The woman who handles wasn't there but the one who was told me they weren't ready. I asked her to make a note that my references hadn't received anything and it was over a week, that I wanted the number of permits changed from 1 to 3, and a call back. I didn't get a call, I'll stop by again tomorrow I guess.

MC

Welcome to the forums from another northern Bergenite! As a matter of fact, I used to live on S. Highwood in Glen Rock about 10 years ago.

It's too bad that the Glen Rock PD pulled out of the Waldwick police range to use as their qualification range, you would have been eligible to join the Waldwick Pistol and Rifle Club. An easier drive than Cherry Ridge!

Thanks everyone. Still waiting on the p2ps.

Any suggestions on where to shop around here? Seems like Ramsey Outdoor and Action Shooter are the only things that get positive reviews, and meltzer which doesn't.

MC

Check some of the supporting dealers on these forums, but if you buy online or purchase out of state and need to have it transferred to an FFL use Police Products in Wyckoff for the transfer. The last time I used him it cost $40 cash for transfer and NICS. Can't beat that price.

Good luck with the purchase!