woodentoe

What flavor do the local LEO use?

I've been fascinated by the thread about using handloads as SD rounds. One of the positions stated is that it is advisable to use the same ammunition that the cops do. Whether or not this is necessary is irrelevant to my question.

Fellow forum members that are LEO, what factory loads do your departments issue for your duty weapons and what loads do you personally choose as your EDC?

I live in Woodbridge, and would be interested in knowing what our guys use. But, I'm not on a first name basis with any local cops and feel like I'd come off a little weird asking a uniformed officer what kind of ammo he uses.

You will find that most agencies use either Winchester SXT T series or Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points in their sidearms, with the Speer Gold Dots having the edge in number if agencies using it.

In my experience, calibers running from most common to least common are: .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 9mm, .357Sig, 5.7x28FNH

That's impressive. First I've heard any town using USPs... Always seems to be Glocks or Sigs.... :)

Ah, I forgot, Woodbridge PD carries Speer 230grain Gold Dot Hollow Points for their duty load in an HK USP .45

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

That's impressive. First I've heard any town using USPs... Always seems to be Glocks or Sigs.... :)

I was in Rahway Police station to fill out an incident report because someone tagged my car in the parking deck. The officer who I spoke to was carrying an HK USP.

Neighbors I suppose. Birds of a feather... Yada yada... ;)

I was in Rahway Police station to fill out an incident report because someone tagged my car in the parking deck. The officer who I spoke to was carrying an HK USP.

Seems like all the surrounding towns. Bah, that's because they are not use to exotic guns that work well. ;)

Cranbury Township also uses the HK USP 45. Although some of the cops don't like it.

Was thinking same thing. Mine weren't cheap.

It's a pricey piece. I'm wondering what the rationale is for choosing it. My buddy is NYPD and their are S&W 5906, Sig 226 (I think), or Glock 17...PO's choice.

I would rather have the DAO, myself. To be honest, I don't know much about the things because I rarely fire it. I hate it that much.

The build quality on it is top notch, I just hate the grip, trigger, and the kick of the weapon (which I blame on the grip). The grip is some terrible hard plastic stuff that I can't really get a good hold on and there are no aftermarket options. A set of Pachs might really be nice. Whenever I shoot the stupid thing I get a ton of barrel lift. I'll stick to 1911's and revolvers.

I like the feel of M&P's, but I think I will hate them too since the trigger is similar.

You say 'hate' a lot. I've yet to come across any firearm I've held that has stirred up such acrimony. lol

I would rather have the DAO, myself. To be honest, I don't know much about the things because I rarely fire it. I hate it that much.

The build quality on it is top notch, I just hate the grip, trigger, and the kick of the weapon (which I blame on the grip). The grip is some terrible hard plastic stuff that I can't really get a good hold on and there are no aftermarket options. A set of Pachs might really be nice. Whenever I shoot the stupid thing I get a ton of barrel lift. I'll stick to 1911's and revolvers.

I like the feel of M&P's, but I think I will hate them too since the trigger is similar.

A little off topic.... But I need to ask this question. Is it ok if I compliment a LEO's handgun? Would it be wierd?

I can't say if I have or have not handled an officers hand gun before, but I really liked it, but this is going back 10-12 years ago

It's a pricey piece.  I'm wondering what the rationale is for choosing it.  My buddy is NYPD and their are S&W 5906, Sig 226 (I think), or Glock 17...PO's choice.

NYPDs lists 3 duty sidearms for their officers: Glock 19, Sig P226 DAO, or S&W 5946 (which is the DAO variant of the 5906 minus the mag disconnect). Duty load is 9mm +P 124 gr Speer Gold Dots.