NJBeretta

CCI Stinger/Velocitor in .22LR pistols - any problems?

So I have a fair amount of CCI Stingers and Velocitors that have yet to see the light of day - I have yet to purchase a .22LR rifle (still waiting for an address change on FID).

But moreso it's the fact that I had read a couple of years ago on another forum that excessive use of these hypervelocity rounds in various pistols could cause undue wear on the slide - possibly even slide breakage.

Is there any truth to this? I want to test with the Buckmark - maybe even with the 92FS Practice Kit - but wouldn't want to cause any avoidable damage to the firearms.

Thanks EBS - makes a little more sense now.

I actually found the kit for the 92FS (finally) about a year ago. The CCI Mini-Mags (high velocity) I've run through that are fine.

It's the Velocitors (1435 fps) and Stingers (1640 fps) where I was concerned about damage. Most .22LR rifles should be able to handle these though, correct?

The instruction manuals (yes, those little bookletes that no one ever reads) for just about every semi-auto .22 I have ever seen (Marlin 60, Ruger 10/22, S&W M&P 15/22, Walther P22, et. Al.) all specifically warn the operator NOT to use Stingers. IMHO, CCI Mini-Mags are the tried and true ammo for semi-Auto .22LR.

Velociters are just a high velocity 22lr and a notch above mini mags and should work fine in any modern gun. Stingers, while also 22lr, are actually a little longer in both case length and overall length in order to load them that hot and as such, some barrel/gun manufacturers advise specifically advise against using them if the chamber is on the tight/short side. In the stinger, the bullet can actually engage the rifling as its chambered and cause pressure unusual spikes when fired in this condition. consult your manual or manufacturer if you aren't sure.

Velociters are just a high velocity 22lr and a notch above mini mags and should work fine in any modern gun. Stingers, while also 22lr, are actually a little longer in both case length and overall length in order to load them that hot and as such, some barrel/gun manufacturers advise specifically advise against using them if the chamber is on the tight/short side. In the stinger, the bullet can actually engage the rifling as its chambered and cause pressure unusual spikes when fired in this condition. consult your manual or manufacturer if you aren't sure.

^^^^ This.

My comments were specifically about the Stinger. Velocitors are GTG; my go-to round for groudhogs in the garden.

Thanks EBS - makes a little more sense now.

I actually found the kit for the 92FS (finally) about a year ago. The CCI Mini-Mags (high velocity) I've run through that are fine.

It's the Velocitors (1435 fps) and Stingers (1640 fps) where I was concerned about damage. Most .22LR rifles should be able to handle these though, correct?

Funny thing about Mini-Mags... They aren't really high velocity rounds. The clock in around 1,250fps, which is about where most .22lr ammo comes in. Yeah, the sub-sonic stuff is closer to 1,000fps, but for the most part, the Mini-Mags are right about middle of the pack. It's all about marketing.

I've shot CCI Mini-Mags and Winchester 333 pack HPs through my SR22 and Buckmark, and both performed about the same (though I did have one misfire on one of the Winchester rounds; primer was struck, but no "bang").

I agree there is a TON of misleading to downright false marketing in the ammunition world; however, I respectfully disagree about the term “high velocity” in regards to 22 ammunition manufacturers. The two major players in 22 ammo are “standard velocity” (1000 fps.) and “high velocity” (1,200 fps.) The “high” velocity is just in reference to the fact that it is faster than standard velocity. Unlike other calibers, “high velocity” is not necessarily better, more accurate or desirable, nor are “low velocity” rounds inferior. It depends on the action and purpose. Anyway, I posted this photo just to show that the "high" isn't a marketing thing - there are just so many different types of 22 loads. This is a photo of some of what I have in my safe.

22ammovarious.jpg

In the photo:

• Aguila Super Maximum Hyper Velocity – 30 grs., 1750 fps.
  • Aguila Super Extra – 40 grs., 1200 fps.
  • Aguila Super Extra – 38 grs. HP, 1200 fps.
  • CCI AR Tactical – 40 grs., 1200 pfs.
  • Remington Golden Bullet High Velocity – 40 grs., 1255 fps
  • Remington Target Standard Velocity – 40 grs., 1150 fps.
  • CCI Mini-Mag HP 22 LR HP – 38 grs. HP, 1260 fps.
  • Eley HV Moving target – 40 grs., (collector’s item; I’m guessing it’s “high”)
  • Aguila Golden Eagle Match Rifle (in the green Tupperware) – 40 grs. LRN, 1050 fps. ("velocidad estandar")
  • CCI CB Long – 29 grs. LRN, 710 fps. (subsonic, low noise)
  • CCI CB Short – 29 grs. LRN, 710 fps. (subsonic, low noise)
  • CCI CB Short – 29 grs. Conical Ball, 710 fps. (subsonic, low noise)

So a long-winded answer to the OP question, in modern bolt or lever guns in good condition, you can shoot pretty much anything, unless the manual says otherwise. Personally, I would not use anything faster in 1,200 fps. in my semi- rifles or pistols. If you have a crate of Stingers to dispose of, I vote get a bolt gun or a revolver and start shooting some cans. Good luck.

I've used a fair amount of Stingers through my Sig Mosquito - at least 700 rounds, and have yet to really see much in the way of unexpected wear anywhere, barrel, slide, or frame. My Mosquito seems to favor the Stingers, or maybe that's just my preference... I also run the standard spring, and have never encountered issues due to that. I've never installed the high velocity spring that was included with my gun.

I've just ordered some of the Aguila 1700fps and 1750fps ammo that I'd like to put through my Mosquito...hope it likes them, because I bought 500 rounds of each type...

Maybe in a few years, it will have more wear than it would have if I'd only ever run 'boring'/'normal' .22s...but so far, nothing I have noticed. Plus, the high velocity rounds make the Mosquito so much more fun....and still cheap to shoot.

Am I the only one who laughed at the Aguila Super Maximum Hyper Velocity label? That's what happens when you give marketing guys complete control.

LOL I bought one box because the name was just ridiculous. The stuff isn't bad - it has a serious crack to it, though it throws groups high and right from my Savage. If i sighted it in, I think it'd be a great varmint load.

Aguila is based in Mexico - I think they make good economy ammo I particularly like their 38 special JHP - very good groups from my S&W. Here's their website, if you want to click aimlessly and have no idea what you're reading, because it's in Spanish: http://www.aguilaammo.com.mx/

Am I the only one who laughed at the Aguila Super Maximum Hyper Velocity label? That's what happens when you give marketing guys complete control.

They coulda called it Aguila super duper ultra maximum super high hyper ultra velocity. Id say they showed some restraint...

Not nearly as bad as university of maryland university college, or whatever its called

What is it about the label you find funny? Just curious.

Reminded me of the Simpsons episode when Homer was talking about an internet company. He called it Super Hyper Global Compu Mega Net. So Super Maximum Hyper Velocity made me laugh. Not so much the label, but rather the name.

Been a while since I checked up on the forums, but I appreciate all of the response!

So here's the question now - judging from the responses, using these types of rounds in a pistol is a no-no. What about semi-auto .22LR rifles?

My FID change of address is finally ready, and am in the market for a .22LR rifle. (torn between a GSG-522 or a S&W MP variant in .22LR, on a side note...)

I personally would not feed Stingers to any .22 autoloader, pistol or rifle. Every .22 semi-auto that I own says Stingers are a no-go. Good to go in lever or bolt action.

Velocitors are good to go in all my semiauto rifles. IMHO, it is a very effective small varmit round. I have used them to take out groundhogs at 30 yards. Too expensive for plinking though. But, if you got them and they are just gathering dust, why not shoot them. You should be good to go.

If you want to be certain, go to your manufaturer's website and download your manual. Any ammo restrictions and/or recommendations should be provided in your manual.

I've put over 1000 rounds of 1640-1750fps ammo in my Sig Mosquito, and a few hundred more through my gsg-522 with no issues...I can't promise your gun won't have issues, but I have no plans to stop using Stingers and other hypervelocity in any of my .22LR guns...that said...they will not be the only rounds I use in my guns, either...