deadeye74

Bolt action .223

Does anyone here have a bolt action .223? Thinking of adding one to the collection.

Got an open invitation to plink ground hogs for a farmer. Would love to pick up a 204 Ruger to do the job, but not looking to spend a lot of $$$ at the moment. Game laws specify using any rifle round under 100 grains is ok for hunting woodchuck, which is the reason behind my thinking.

Take a look at the H&R/New England Firearm models. They are single shot, break open models. Accurate and reliable for a little over $200. I had their 20 gauge single shot and I was pleasantly surprised with it.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/hunter.asp

Oh, and get the 204 Ruger model. It smokes 223, and is the most fun you can have with a rifle (i.e. shitt just explodes when you hit it with a 4000fps polymer tip bullet).

If you do go with 223, stick with lightweight ammo (<55grain). It will stabilize much better in a slower twist varmint rifle barrel. Fiocchi makes a great 40grain zipper in 223.

Lunker touched upon it - if you buy a .223 bolt gun, make sure of the twist, especially if you are anticipating using ammo you may have stockpiled for an AR. A 1:12 twist rate is good for the 35 gr to 45 gr varmint bullets and is common on HB varmint rifles. The typical 55 gr or 62 gr rounds, common to AR use, fare better with a 1:9 or 1:8 twist. A 1:7 twist would allow the use of the heavy (for .22 caliber) 77 gr match bullets.

If this means adding a caliber to your inventory, and you don't reload, then you may want to consider a .17 HMR rimfire. Great varmint round out to 150 yards and viable to 200 yds - 250 yds, but can be challenging at those kind of ranges - the wind blows those tiny bullets around a bit more than bullets used in a CF .22.

Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

A .223 is one of the best NJ varmint rounds and is plentiful and inexpensive . If your after groundhogs stick with the .22 cal 50-55gr ammo. Better terminal effect ( spectacular blowup) and more stopping power. The heavy stuff just punchs a .22 hole and the hog escapes. A 50 gr V-max or TNT will have no problem out to 300yds, most likely further then you'll ever shoot in NJ. Also don't overlook the .22 Hornet if your shooting in a more restricted area. 22-250 and 222 also work just as well but ammo cost will be higher and a bit harder to find.

What ever your choice realize that the trigger is more important then the action and scope is going to have to be up to the job of seeing small targets. Lots of times the only shot is half of a head sticking out of a hole. I like scopes in the 4-12 or 4-16 range. I have 6-24 power scopes but most times the lack of field of veiw and eye relief are more trouble then they are worth. and oh yea, those heavy barrel varmint rigs get real heavy to tote around on a 90 deg day so you may want to think about a rig with a sporter weight barrel. I know that I almost never shoot my heavy barrel rig anymore.

and your gonna need a good set of binoculars

Take a look at the H&R/New England Firearm models. They are single shot, break open models. Accurate and reliable for a little over $200. I had their 20 gauge single shot and I was pleasantly surprised with it.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/hunter.asp

Oh, and get the 204 Ruger model. It smokes 223, and is the most fun you can have with a rifle (i.e. shitt just explodes when you hit it with a 4000fps polymer tip bullet).

If you do go with 223, stick with lightweight ammo (<55grain). It will stabilize much better in a slower twist varmint rifle barrel. Fiocchi makes a great 40grain zipper in 223.

Never have consideration to the single shot H&R before, but after seeing their price I see 204 Ruger in my not so distant future! :)

I thank you all for the information. Lots of good stuff here. Looks like I'm leaning heavy towards the 204 Ruger H&R. Being a left handed shooter, it's a win in my book!

I'm new to reloading so after some initial factory ammo purchases will start turning out rounds on my own.

A .223 is one of the best NJ varmint rounds and is plentiful and inexpensive . If your after groundhogs stick with the .22 cal 50-55gr ammo. Better terminal effect ( spectacular blowup) and more stopping power. The heavy stuff just punchs a .22 hole and the hog escapes. A 50 gr V-max or TNT will have no problem out to 300yds, most likely further then you'll ever shoot in NJ.

Not to thread-jack, but I was under the impression that we can't hunt with a centerfire rifle in NJ. If that's not entirely true, can somebody point me to the law that says we can?

Not to thread-jack, but I was under the impression that we can't hunt with a centerfire rifle in NJ. If that's not entirely true, can somebody point me to the law that says we can?

If you go to the Division of fish and wildlife web page and look up the rules for woodchuck hunting, it states "any center fire rifle with a bullet under 100 grains".

If you go to the Division of fish and wildlife web page and look up the rules for woodchuck hunting, it states "any center fire rifle with a bullet under 100 grains".

Actually, IIRC, it says any CF rifle .25 caliber or less or any centerfire rifle firing a bullet of 100 grs or less.

Actually, IIRC, it says any CF rifle .25 caliber or less or any centerfire rifle firing a bullet of 100 grs or less.

Thank you Bob! I was paraphrasing.

Once my scope arrives this week I'll be taking my 22-250 out for some ground hog huntin!

If they would put iron sights on the MVP, I would buy it NOW. I like the shorter barrel model MVP, but want it to be like the Ruger Gunsite rifle.

I don't think this would make a very good Scout Rifle (ala Jeff Cooper). The stock is set up for bench/bipod,

I have a NEF single shot that I bought some time ago. It will do 1 1/2 at 100 yds with just about any 55 gr factory load. If I worked up a reload for it I'm sure it would get below 1". The Savage bolt guns are reasonably priced an.d those I've shot very accurate

My AR with a 16" barrel has done as well as 1 1/8" three shot groups @100 yds with factory 55 to 62 grain.

I would think a bolt action .223/5.56 could do better than that. My Savage .308 does under an inch.

And I suck, lol

I would think a .223 bolt action would be one of the more accurate rifles available at shorter (300 yd) ranges.

Blue1

I just added a Remington 700 AAC-SD which I love, it is a .308Win with "1:10 Tactical Rifling" and a few other specific features, BUT - for you, the Remington 700 SPS Tactical is available in .223Rem , almost identical ... a 20" Heavy barrel, adjustable trigger, Hogue Overmolded Stock, etc. etc. you would probably not be able to find something better for the buck (Unless you went with Savage, which is my other favorite.).

Savage Precision Carbine (Model 10 LE series PC) is also available in .223 and would be great too IMNHO.

Wow this raises a question - does that mean a bolt action .223 rifle is ok for target practice at the NJ state hunting target ranges where supposedly only guns legal for hunting may be used? If it is legal for groundhogs....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Wow this raises a question - does that mean a bolt action .223 rifle is ok for target practice at the NJ state hunting target ranges where supposedly only guns legal for hunting may be used? If it is legal for groundhogs....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately it does not. Guidelines spell out "rimfire" specifically for rifles.

"No handguns or centerfire rifles permitted"

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/ranges.htm

Found it.

http://www.eregulati...a-regulations/#

.17 is now good to go at WMAs that allow rimfires.

QUOTE...

Muzzleloading rifle and shotgun range: muzzleloading firearms, shotguns with rifled slugs or buckshot and ­modern rimfire (both .17 and .22 caliber) rifles only.

Unfortunately it does not. Guidelines spell out "rimfire" specifically for rifles.

"No handguns or centerfire rifles permitted"

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/ranges.htm

What a slap in the face to groundhog hunters in NJ. I wonder if anyone has complained. I mean, if you pay for the license, you ought to be able to use the facilities that are funded by the license fees, to practice with the firearm you are legally entitled to use in the hunt... Sounds like a good argument there.