Sign in to follow this  
msg73

1911 frame for SS, Limited-10 and Open Steel?

I currently have an STI Spartan 1911 in 9mm and an M&P40. I've always been interested in trying open but didn't think it was worth it due to the 15rd limit here in NJ. Most open guns are setup on the STI 2011 frame and the smallest 126mm mags are either 10rds or 17rds of 9mm. So, I would be limited to the 10 rounders (don't know of anyone selling 15rd mags). This got me thinking into trying open steel as 10 rounders would be fine for static and knockdown steel. So, there's no capacity benefit to using an STI 2011 frame and hi-cap mags ($$$) if I'm only going to stick with 10 rounds. Therefore, I'm thinking of using a 1911 frame with multiple top-ends for SS, Limited-10 and Open Steel. I already have a complete 9mm open top end and c-more.

Here's what I'm thinking of:

Use my Spartan 9mm for iron sight steel and possibly SS/L10 minor

Use my M&P40 for production (I can reload to minor pf) and Limited-10 major

Get an STI Trojan in 40

- Use it in SS/L10 major

- Put my 9mm open top end and use it for Open steel with my existing 9mm mags. Is the 1911 frame thick enough to drill/tap for optic mount?

Does any of this make sense to you? Or should I just get an STI 2011 frame and 10rd 126mm mags?

I don't know how much experience you have but I think it's best to stick with one platform and focus on one or two divisions.

If it were me I'd just stick to one gun for a particular division or at least one platform. So if you're shooting minor and want

to shoot major maybe use a 1911 in 40 or 45. Just my thoughts.

I was advised by a GM that switching guns can be hard if you don't have a lot of experience. If you do then by all means.

Is there any advantage to shooting Minor in limited-10?

Not really. you lose point but don't gain any extra rounds.

I would take your spartan, have the frame cut for what ever your 9mm Open top end is and then get a 9mm replacement barrel with the same ramp.

Shoot SS minor, where you gain 2 rounds, shoot Steel iron sights and Open steel.

Not really. you lose point but don't gain any extra rounds.

I would take your spartan, have the frame cut for what ever your 9mm Open top end is and then get a 9mm replacement barrel with the same ramp.

Shoot SS minor, where you gain 2 rounds, shoot Steel iron sights and Open steel.

I was thinking of doing this but couldn't find anyone that would mill the frame for a wilson/nowlin ramp. Also, the Spartan is perfect as is and I'm not sure I want to mess with a good thing.

I don't know how much experience you have but I think it's best to stick with one platform and focus on one or two divisions.

If it were me I'd just stick to one gun for a particular division or at least one platform. So if you're shooting minor and want

to shoot major maybe use a 1911 in 40 or 45. Just my thoughts.

If I get the Trojan 40, I would most likely keep the M&P for home defense, shoot the Trojan for limited-10, put the open top end for open steel and use the Spartan for Iron sight steel. I'm much better with the Spartan in steel but score better using major PF in USPSA with the M&P (expecting that I would be better with the Trojan)....Open just looks like so much fun that I have to try that too (even if it's open steel only)

I was advised by a GM that switching guns can be hard if you don't have a lot of experience. If you do then by all means.

Hard or not, it's about having fun. Keeping everything to a 1911 platform should help minimize the effects of switching platforms. I would also use a horizontal c-more mount to help transition as well.