MicroChip

Do you keep a shooting log?

I notice that a lot of you have several guns, and I often hear people quote how many rounds have been through this gun or that. Do you guys keep a logbook and record things like firearm, ammo brand, number of rounds, and keep track of any failures?

Just curious. Seems like a good idea for a beginner like me. Maybe there's even a template or an excel spreadsheet somewhere?

Thanks!

MC

only my high dollar stuff and precision rifles. I have a program called My Gun Database by IFS. It helps me inventory, and track what all I have done to guns in the terms of repairs or maintenance.

I don't keep track of rounds through any of my .22 rifles... because who cares?

I don't keep track of any rounds through my Mossberg shotguns or my Kel Tek.

I record every shot out of my Berettas and my 1911 and keep it in a paper logbook along with any failures that I experienced. I can tell you right now that my CX4 has exactly 4652 round through it. On my 5000th round, I intend to send the casing to Beretta USA with a thank you note.

But this is really for maintenance. I'll replace the springs and locking block at a certain point. Odds are I will never put 5000 rounds through my Kel Tek and if my Mossberg breaks I'll just drop the $250 on another one.

I keep one for everything. A simple spread sheet with the makes and models and purchase date of my guns across the top, and down the side I enter the date I shoot and go over to put the number of rounds for the specific gun I shot. Nothing fancy. It's mainly for my self gratification.

I keep track of rounds fired, and any failures or maintenance of all my pistols. I don't know how you can do proper maintenance without keeping track of these things. Maintenance is important, isn't it? You gotta know when to change the springs, pins, etc.

I also log my reloads. I want to know how many times I fired the brass, and whatever problems I may have encountered so I know when to dump that batch of brass..

I do both on simple spreadsheets. I don't go into a lot of detail; just enough to alert me.

I've got approximate round counts because I tend to shoot mostly in competition and focus on one gun at a time. I reload so I keep inventory. I jot down what I'm loading for what when, and if it isn't in inventory, it got shot out of a specific gun.

Yep... I always keep a round count for all my guns. I started doing it when I bought my HK. Not sure why... little bit OCD, little bit CYA should anything go wrong. Then... when I built my AR (my first and only, so far) I became a little more serious about it. Since I built it, I wanted to be able to narrow down any failures quickly. And it helps me really keep track if my guns don't like certain brands of ammo (which hasn't happened yet) or anything else that might be a issue later on or just plain ol' something I don't like. (For example... I know now that I dislike Remington UMC Target .45 230gr. FMJ... because it's very very dirty. Heck... it says something about "clean burning" or "clean firing" on the box and it's the dirtiest ammo I've shot yet.)

Quick excel spreadsheet, each gun has it's own tab which has gun info, parts/accessories listed too, notes and the shot log (ammo brand, type, weight, round count and any notes, failures, etc.) and then a summary page up front.

I don't really suspect my HK to have any issues (and I don't really expect to have any problems with HK taking care of it should it happen) and my AR has enough rounds through it now that I have full confidence in my build, but I keep the log anyway. It's only takes a few minutes while cleaning after range time, and it's a good habit, especially if I get into reloading, precision rifles, etc.

I don't keep track of anything.

I'm the same way, at least with my guns. Which is somewhat odd for me, because I have recorded every one of my runs in log books for the past 33 years. Guess I'm finally trying to break out of some of my OCD. :B:):

I only log hard core info when trying new ammo or working up a load. And I really only keep that info for my M1a and my remington 700 hunting rifle. I do keep all ammo and component receipts so it wouldnt be to hard to figure out a round count for any gun except the 22's. They dont wear out!

Ken

I have an Excel spreadsheet I use to track ammo...I started out wanting to be able to say how many rounds I had through each pistol (I'm mostly a pistol guy). Then I started reloading and kept a ledger of the loads in different calibers. THEN I realized I'd like to track how many rounds I made and how much they were costing me. THEN I realized I wanted to keep an inventory of ammo, both reloads and factory.

And that's how I turned into an ammo nerd.

Someone posted an Excel sheet on here(Wombat??) that I use to track. Nothing fancy, just which gun and what ammo was used. If you do a search you can probably find it.

Yup - was me. I keep a log. As much for curiosity as anything else. Takes very little effort. I bring home the empty boxes and just add them up, enter into the spreadsheet.

TheWombat

Is it important to keeps a log? Why do you keep a log? I'm sure as time goes on wear and tear happens to a gun. Is there an average round count where things tend to go wrong? I know someone said something about springs. When should I change up my parts?

Is it important to keeps a log? Why do you keep a log? I'm sure as time goes on wear and tear happens to a gun. Is there an average round count where things tend to go wrong? I know someone said something about springs. When should I change up my parts?

Read the manual for your firearms and you will find recommendations on what to replace and when. Theres also info on various forums and web sites that give recommendations. For me, I log the round count so I have a reference, not much more. The types of ammo may have an effect on the numbers. I shoot often which is why I keep track. I can see if you only shoot 100 rounds a couple times a year that it may not matter keeping track.

I don't know what kind of pistols you own, but on the Sig forum there is a maintenance folder telling when (round count and time intervals) various parts should be replaced. I am a fairly high round shooter so I have to be careful of such things. Example, if you don't change the recoil spring as specified, it may cause problems because the slide/hood etc will be banging unnecessarly hard into the frame parts, causing them to fail prematurely. If you don't shoot often, this may not be a problem for you. However, certain parts should be replaced at certain intervals even if you don't shoot alot. (Think safe queens). Do some research on this matter to keep yourself informed, but don't get anal about it, after all it's fun!

I just keep the targets on my refrigerator. ;)

The only firearms I have that ever malfunction are .22s (who cares) and one that uses Sten mags. I do not keep track of round count or ammo. I am not doing any precision shooting. I just inspect and perform PM way before necessary.

For .22 mags, Sten mags, and handgun mags, I put a letter/number code on the mags. For .22s and Sten mags, malfunctions get recorded and anything with a criminal record gets pushed to the rear of the rotation or parted out. For handgun mags I just like to make sure my carry mags get regular but limited use and then get pushed back to training status.

I keep an approximate round count in my head on a few of my guns, for the most part I can approximate each gun I own with in 1000 rounds or less. The other guns I could care less and are not collector or precision. Now I do keep a log of my loads being I roll my own for most guns I shoot..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm... I have a Springfield XD45 and an STI Spartan V. I shoot every they're weekend and usually about 150-200 rounds a gun. I also have a Heney Big Boy and a Remington 870 shotgun. I'll have to read the manual in more detail. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to keep an eye out.

I keep a small notebook for each firearm I own - rifles & handguns (and shotguns too eventually).

I started doing it years ago when I began to have problems with my first AR *bushmastercoughjunk*

The lack of a shotgun is something I am about to remedy rather nicely ;) ...and I'll keep books on them as well.