jptsr1

Totally confused after calling RTSP regarding using their range.

I thought I was getting a handle on the maze of NJ gun laws. That was until I called RTSP here in northern NJ about shooting at their facility today. I was told a couple of things buy the young lady that answered the phone that were in direct conflict with what was my understanding and what I was told when I called the NJSP.

Originally I just asked her if an FID was required to shoot at the range. She told me no but I would need one to buy any ammunition. I said that i would be shooting my own guns and ammo so I should be ok? She then said that I would be ok at the range but id need need an FID to get the guns to the range and that i needed to register my guns. I told her that I moved here from california where I purchased the guns legally and was not aware of any law that I had to register them. She said that if I was now a resident of the state of NJ and no longer had an address in CA that I had to register my guns in NJ. I told her that what she was telling me was in conflict with the information I had gotten from the state police both before and after I moved to NJ just three months ago. I asked again if she was sure and she asked me to hold. When she came back to the phone she told me that I was fine having the guns but needed an FID to transport them to the range.

I lived here 6 years ago and back then none of this was the case. I shot regularly at the Bullet Hole in northern jersey with no issue (other than at times the staff were less than friendly). It seems everything has changed since I've been gone. Can someone either clarify or point me in the right direction so that I can clear things up for myself? I'm leaning towards just going with the info from the NJSP but I just want to be sure im inside the lines here.

Thanks.

You don't need to have a Firearms Purchaser ID to transport firearms in NJ within the exemptions. The exemptions are travel to/from a Range, a Gunsmith, to hunt, a business you own or another residence of yours.

I've also overheard an RTSP employee tell a customer who brought a rifle in for service without having a FID that the customer committed a felony transporting the rifle. I'm not sure why there appears to be the misunderstanding at RTSP that having a FID is necessary to transport firearms to a range/gunsmith legally.

Great range and people otherwise.

As long as you transport per the laws, you're fine, just as you were before you moved to Kali......

Buying hand gun ammo in NJ is the stickler--used to be a DL was all you needed (some State issued ID). Now you do need a FID to purchase hand gun ammo (so THIS is the part that changed).

Transporting a hand gun to a range is exempted, but you have to bring your own ammo if you don't have a NJFID. Not quite sure how the ranges that rent guns get around this one. Someone with more knowledge than I will no doubt chime-in.

She is WRONG about the mandatory registration! FWIW MOST Gun Shops get it wrong somehow (this, hollow points, transportation, etc.) and tend to over-react.

Dave

Thanks folks,

I was fairly confident in the information I got from the NJSP but have to admit the old poopshoot tightened up a bit while I was talking to this young lady. Last thing I want to do is end up in jail via my own ignorance.

Thanks again.

Gun shop employees are one of the biggest sources of misinformation out there. Do yourself a favor and look at the statutes. Most are linked on his site so you can judge for yourself.

I am replying to this thread since someone brought this to my attention. There have been many misinterpretations of the law as it is stated. We are required by the State Police to require an FID for ammunition purchases. As for transportation, it is recommended to have an FID, but not required if you are only going back and forth to a range. Our employee did mistakingly tell him that he needed to register his guns, but that was clarified and he was told that if purchased outside of NJ that registration was not necessary. It is implied by NJ that you should get one, and do need one for handgun ammunition and future gun purchases within NJ. We apologize for the confusion, but NJ has some confusing laws and we do NOT represent to know all of them. As for her being fired for stupidity...tone it down with the hostility...its not necessary to attack the few ranges that are fortunate enough to get a license to operate.

Gun shop employees are one of the biggest sources of misinformation out there. Do yourself a favor and look at the statutes. Most are linked on his site so you can judge for yourself.

Been through the ones I could find many times. They seem poorly written and are very confusing. My personal opinion with the information I had was that I was well within the law.

Thanks.

I am replying to this thread since someone brought this to my attention. There have been many misinterpretations of the law as it is stated. We are required by the State Police to require an FID for ammunition purchases. As for transportation, it is recommended to have an FID, but not required if you are only going back and forth to a range. Our employee did mistakingly tell him that he needed to register his guns, but that was clarified and he was told that if purchased outside of NJ that registration was not necessary. It is implied by NJ that you should get one, and do need one for handgun ammunition and future gun purchases within NJ. We apologize for the confusion, but NJ has some confusing laws and we do NOT represent to know all of them. As for her being fired for stupidity...tone it down with the hostility...its not necessary to attack the few ranges that are fortunate enough to get a license to operate.

Thank you for clearing up the misunderstanding, but perhaps a basic training program or cheat sheet would be wise considering the convoluted gun laws in NJ? No hostility just a humble suggestion.

Thanks very much for the clarification, Its much appreciated. I did not intend for my question to reflect poorly on your establishment or staff. In hindsight I probably should have not included the name of your business in my query. I agree that your employee should not be fired or disciplined. She is not a lawyer (im guessing) and it is not her responsibility to have the statutes memorized or to help me understand them. She did however seem very confident in the information she gave me and I assumed (incorrectly obviously) that when she put me on hold she went and verified it. In the end the original information she gave me was incorrect as was the follow-up which was why I came here looking for further clarification.

Again, my apologies.

I have no problem with you including our name. We are relatively new (since November) and field many questions on a daily basis. We should definitely preface any advice with an obvious disclaimer...No, we are NOT lawyers...again, my apologies for any misinformation. It was not intentional...

This is where I slightly disagree, the nature of how and what gunshops represent puts them as the authority in most people's eyes. I strongly beleive it should be every gun shop's MAIN GOAL, to KNOW the laws... without having to rely on the interpretation of the state police or others when they come in and visit.

guns stores represent the gun community in general, and when gun stores knowing, or unknowing spread false information, it does not help in the fight.

IE... there is, as per statutes no required gun registration for any guns, for nj residents. all registration is voluntary.

The pistol purchase permit process is not supposed to be registration as every permit is supposed to be destroyed after municipality verified the information.