Steve_G

9mm AR - Started the build

Should be assembled and tested this weekend. I'll get pics up as soon as it's done.

Parts List:

DDLES Glock mag lower

DDLES bolt

PSA lower parts kit

Ergo grip

MOE stock

Spikes ST2 buffer and 9mm spacer

JP springs

YHM 9mm marked upper receiver

Bulldog 16" 9mm barrel

YHM Phantom brake

MOE handguards

Aimpoint PRO

Well, here it is. All complete. Took it out for a little test yesterday. It ran great with the exception of problems with the bolt locking back halfway through mags and not locking back on an empty mag. That problem was most likely caused by me. The lower comes with a shorter and lighter spring for the bolt release which I proceded to launch into the garage somewhere. I installed a standard spring and gave it a shot but, that's not going to work.

This morning, I decided to give the garage a good cleaning, man my wife was shocked and impressed that I was cleaning something without 2 months of nagging me to do it. (she'll never know the real reason I wanted to clean the garage). Anyway, 5 hours later, I found the spring. I installed it but, won't get a chance to test it out today. Hopefully, this solves the problem.

002qvk.jpg

Steve, i too had a minor issue with premature lockback and found the issue to be not with the spring, rather, the little tab on the DDLES bolt catch sctuator sticking out too far and getting bumped but the mag body well before the follower would hit it. With the upper removed, check the clearance of your glock mags in the receiver to the bolt catch actuator tab. You'll notice that the actuator arm has some play in it and it can jiggle around slightly with the loose tolerances it has so if it can be jiggled by hand, it will definitely move around under recoil when shooting. With that said, to test this, you will need to artificially press the actuator towards the mag to its extreme end that the tolerance will allow and see if it can rub the mag body. If so, lightly file on the side of the tab where it rubs and take a few thousanths off until it clears ALL your mags. I went and did this and all my premature lockback issues totally went away.

For the no lockback issue, provided its not your ammo or buffer system, it could be the actuator system again but this time it could be slipping off the little shelf on the mag follower thats supposed to activate it. In some cases, i found this happening to me and I found that by flipping the small spacer washer in the receiver that the actuator pivots on, i got the actuator inboard which puts the tab closer to the mag and then it would never slip off and my lockback activation became 100%.

Its a great receiver and gun, but it does take a little bit of tweaking and then she'll run like a top.

That looks great bro. I can't wait to shoot it :)

Me too!! I just hope to find the time to work out the kinks before 1st Sunday steel.

Steve, i too had a minor issue with premature lockback and found the issue to be not with the spring, rather, the little tab on the DDLES bolt catch sctuator sticking out too far and getting bumped but the mag body well before the follower would hit it. With the upper removed, check the clearance of your glock mags in the receiver to the bolt catch actuator tab. You'll notice that the actuator arm has some play in it and it can jiggle around slightly with the loose tolerances it has so if it can be jiggled by hand, it will definitely move around under recoil when shooting. With that said, to test this, you will need to artificially press the actuator towards the mag to its extreme end that the tolerance will allow and see if it can rub the mag body. If so, lightly file on the side of the tab where it rubs and take a few thousanths off until it clears ALL your mags. I went and did this and all my premature lockback issues totally went away.

For the no lockback issue, provided its not your ammo or buffer system, it could be the actuator system again but this time it could be slipping off the little shelf on the mag follower thats supposed to activate it. In some cases, i found this happening to me and I found that by flipping the small spacer washer in the receiver that the actuator pivots on, i got the actuator inboard which puts the tab closer to the mag and then it would never slip off and my lockback activation became 100%.

Its a great receiver and gun, but it does take a little bit of tweaking and then she'll run like a top.

Sounds like I got some work to do. I'm going to try and get out a little today or tomorrow and mess with it. Thanks for the tips. Another thing, The mags seem really tough to insert, almost impossible on a closed bolt. Am I missing something here or could it be the KCI mags?

Sounds like I got some work to do. I'm going to try and get out a little today or tomorrow and mess with it. Thanks for the tips. Another thing, The mags seem really tough to insert, almost impossible on a closed bolt. Am I missing something here or could it be the KCI mags?

Which mags are you using and are you loading them to capacity? I have a bunch of 10rd G17 mags that, if loaded to full capacity, are a total PITA to insert. Hell, even just loading the 10th round in the mag with a LULA is a ****, so slapping a full one in the gun is pretty much the same. Because of that, i tend to use 15-round G19 mags since i can load them to 10, or even 14, and they still go in the gun like butter compared to the G17 mags.

Which mags are you using and are you loading them to capacity? I have a bunch of 10rd G17 mags that, if loaded to full capacity, are a total PITA to insert. Hell, even just loading the 10th round in the mag with a LULA is a ****, so slapping a full one in the gun is pretty much the same. Because of that, i tend to use 15-round G19 mags since i can load them to 10, or even 14, and they still go in the gun like butter compared to the G17 mags.

I am using the KCI G19 mags. Loaded to 15, it is impossible. At 14 it's tough but will go, they are even tough when empty. It's either the mags or a problem with the lower.

I have them, but I've not tried the KCI loaded to capacity because i had other issues with them in general. I will say that any of my mags loaded to capacity are hard to seat in the gun since the AR platform needs to have the mag sitting higher to strip off and feed rounds than it would in the glock handgun itself. this higher seating plus a closed bolt just makes for difficult loading any way you slice it. However, in defence of the carbine, even seating 100% full mags in a glock pistol with the slide shut isn't a cakewalk--You have to slap them pretty hard in there too. I don't even bother with that on my G19.

Really cool build. I handled a 9mm Just Right AR based carbine over at Lou's this weekend. Anyone have any experience w these relatively new models? Have you read any good articles on how these factory rigs compare to the DD components?