iRescue

G19 owner looking at G34 or G17 for IDPA use

Hi all,

Looking to get my next gun for range/competitive use. I have been shooting for about a year and a half. I own a G19 Gen 4 and I love it. Great gun, tons of fun at the range.

Looking to get a second gun and hoping it will fill these roles:

*Range gun

*Competitive gun - trying to get involved in IDPA

*Possibly an HD gun.

I like the 9mm round for cost, ease of shooting and my G19 is chambered in it. (Although I do plan to get a glock, HK or 1911 in .45 ACP in the fall)

So I've been looking at the G17 and the G34. Trying to decide between the two. Any thoughts?

Im trying to pick up the gun in the next few weeks. Waiting on a permit and for my LGS to get it in stock. I qualify for the blue label program so I am at the mercy of the shop that is authorized to deal in blue label glocks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Glock 19 and a Glock 34 for range/competition use. I have no regrets and would buy it again in a heartbeat. It's a great gun. The barrel on the 34 is about 1" longer than the 17, and the slide cutout on the 34 reduces the recoil a great deal making for faster target re-acquisition. 34 also has an adjustable rear sight. The 17 is made for duty use, and the 34 is made for competition. Most of my competition shooter friends use the 34 also.

I have a Glock 19 and a Glock 34 for range/competition use. I have no regrets and would buy it again in a heartbeat. It's a great gun. The barrel on the 34 is about 1" longer than the 17, and the slide cutout on the 34 reduces the recoil a great deal making for faster target re-acquisition. 34 also has an adjustable rear sight. The 17 is made for duty use, and the 34 is made for competition. Most of my competition shooter friends use the 34 also.

Just wondering which gen 34 is more popular or mOre liked

I had the same dilemma a while back except I have a 26. I went with the 34. Definitely the right choice

in my opinion. If you're gonna go for a competition gun you might as well use what's going to give you

the best performance from a competitive standpoint. I'm sure the 17 would do just fine too. But the

34 seems to be the Glock of choice for people in IDPA/USPSA. I also think it's a lot more different than

your 19 and will give you a more unique experience if that makes any sense.

IMG_0678.JPG

I'm running a Gen 3 Glock 19. Pretty sure that there isn't a Gen 4 Glock 34. I have a friend who shoots competition with a 19 and swears by it. Hey, whatever works for each individual shooter is all that matters.

Another difference between the 34 & 17 is the trigger pull on the 34 is a pound lighter.

I had the same dilemma a while back except I have a 26. I went with the 34. Definitely the right choice

in my opinion. If you're gonna go for a competition gun you might as well use what's going to give you

the best performance from a competitive standpoint. I'm sure the 17 would do just fine too. But the

34 seems to be the Glock of choice for people in IDPA/USPSA. I also think it's a lot more different than

your 19 and will give you a more unique experience if that makes any sense.

IMG_0678.JPG

^^^^

That is a GEN4 34

I would stay with the 19 and use it in Idpa. If you ever had to use your 19 in real life under stress then you would have alot of simulation practice with it from shooting Idpa. That is unless you are itching to get a new toy then go with the 34.

I have a 34,19,26,23 and a 22. They are all the same. Point and shoot. No extra training needed. My 34 Gen 3 came with the 5.5lb connector because it was a blue label that I have since changed to a 4.5lb connector. Even so it is all muscle memory no matter what Glock you pick up. You wont make a wrong decision.