Kaiser7

Shot a shotgun for the first time skeet shooting yesterday

With recent events, I'm sure most of you are pretty bummed, and perhaps just as worried as I am that we will lose our rights. But this thread isn't about that, it's more upbeat.

I finally went skeet shooting yesterday. My friend and I have been saying we were going to do it for over a year now, and we finally got around to it, and I have to say, it was a ton of fun!

Coinicidentally, for those that know about my car accident, The other driver's insurance company will give me $3200 for my car (after salvage fee removed) and I won't need a salvage title, so I'll get it fixed for about $1,000, and have another $,2000 to save for a new car down the road. But after yesterday, I'm thinking I may get a Remington 870 Express, or Mossberg 500 for myself XD.

Oh, and for those who are curious, I didn't do too bad either, I never was really into shotguns before yesterday, but boy that was one hell of a fun time!

I too recently had my first shotgun experience! I am looking at getting the 870 express tactical. Great shooting gun.

I didn't shoot that yesterday, I'm going to see what's different with that model. I know I shot an 870 Express Magnum, and the 870 specialized for bird hunting (forgot the exact name) as well as some other shotgun (which I forgot). I actually liked the bird hunting one the best, but I'm a sucker for wood stocks

It was probably a Wingmaster. Those are nice.

If you are just getting a shotgun for Skeet/Trap/Sporting Clays, you should look into an Over/Under. For up to $2000, you can get a really nice one. Look into Browning.

I own a CZ Mallard O/U, got it for $500 and I love it. It was in my price range and performs great.

It was probably a Wingmaster. Those are nice.

If you are just getting a shotgun for Skeet/Trap/Sporting Clays, you should look into an Over/Under. For up to $2000, you can get a really nice one. Look into Browning.

I own a CZ Mallard O/U, got it for $500 and I love it. It was in my price range and performs great.

Nahh, Pump is ideal for me, I don't want to spend a lot, honestly, I wouldn't mind going to a gun show and picking up a used shotgun. I really don't care haha.

Did you shoot Skeet or Sporting Clays? With the doubles in Skeet a pump is pretty tough to use, unless they are throwing them as report pairs, same goes with Sporting Clays. Report pairs no problem, simos, can get really tough. Trap, a pump is fine!

Welcome to the addiction. I have several shot guns, I don't seem to get enough trigger time with them. Went with the wife and shot two rounds of Trap as a break from working on the race car!

Welcome to the addication Kaiser! Busting clays is neat, and teaches you how to hit a moving target. Not every perp stands still!

And a pump is great for a starter gun for somone in your age group. I use my pump every week, and hit most of the stuff thrown in the air--including simos. It does take a knack to do it though. My Wife bought me the shotty with Sand H Greenstamps about 29 years ago, lol!

Tons of fun, shot tarp today myself. 1st time with a group, been out 3 times before but just on the practice field. Did pretty bad though only hit 8 out of 25. On the practice field I was doing 22 out of 25. :-(. I picked up a Winchester SXP pump in Mossy Oak, works well. They did not have the Wing Master when I was looking, I too like the nice wood stock.

Did you shoot Skeet or Sporting Clays? With the doubles in Skeet a pump is pretty tough to use, unless they are throwing them as report pairs, same goes with Sporting Clays. Report pairs no problem, simos, can get really tough. Trap, a pump is fine!

Welcome to the addiction. I have several shot guns, I don't seem to get enough trigger time with them. Went with the wife and shot two rounds of Trap as a break from working on the race car!

I'm not sure, we basically just bought the first thing we saw at Dick's. They were the rounded bowl-like ones if that makes any difference.

Not sure if it's good for a first timer, but since we were using my friend's hunting shotguns we only had three shells per, I was usually able to get two pigeons with three shots when I tried that. I was actually almost as good as my friend who has been doing this since he was 10 XD.

I'm not sure, we basically just bought the first thing we saw at Dick's. They were the rounded bowl-like ones if that makes any difference.

Not sure if it's good for a first timer, but since we were using my friend's hunting shotguns we only had three shells per, I was usually able to get two pigeons with three shots when I tried that. I was actually almost as good as my friend who has been doing this since he was 10 XD.

Did you shoot Skeet with two houses or did you have a thrower and shot off of it? If the latter, we generally just call that "informal clays". k

I too recently had my first shotgun experience! I am looking at getting the 870 express tactical. Great shooting gun.

The 870 Express Tactical was my first purchase. Great shotgun. Not good for trap though. Barrel is too short to really reach the birds.

I have never found headphones that I could shoot long guns with. They always seem to get in the way of the stock.

Trap is shot with one house 16 yards away from you throwing a single clay in a random direction.

Skeet is shot with two house, a low on one side and a high on the other. They may throw them as report pairs (after you fire your first shot someone will throw the other one without you asking for it). They usually do them as simo pairs. When you tell them to throw (pull) both birds get thrown at the same time. This is where a pump can be tough since the birds are crossing and going in two different directions. Not saying it can't be done, but it is certainly challenging!

Sporting Clays is a whole 'nother ballgame. Again, doing report pairs is usually no problem, but simo pairs can be very difficult depending on the presentation.

No matter what, shotgun sports are my favorite!
:)