jrfly3006

1x-4x variable scope for AR-15

pretty much the only option I can see for you is the primary arms 1-4 with a decent scope mount for $200.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_4X_24_Illuminated_Scope_PA14X_p/pa14x.htm

If you wanted to step it up above $200 i would go for a leatherwood, nikon, or vortex .

It's a little more but the Leatherwood 1-4 is a very good optic for the $$$

X2, you can get the Leatherwood for $330 including a Burris PEPR mount (which goes for about $70 by itself) http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-1-4x24-CMR-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-Kit-P47565.aspx

Since budget hasn't been mentioned, I'll just throw out the best low power variable optic I've used and it's the Nightforce 1-4. The reticle is actually useful at all reasonable engagement distances, glass is super clear and of course, it's tough as any other NF optic. The only problem is it's not cheap. I would have suggested a Trijicon TR24 however I have seen too many of them fail in light rain to be able to do so. The 1.5-5 Leupold is on one of my midlength 16" rifles and I find it's a pretty good optic however my gripe with it is battery life as well as the IR not working outside in the sunshine.

X2, you can get the Leatherwood for $330 including a Burris PEPR mount (which goes for about $70 by itself) http://swfa.com/Leat...Kit-P47565.aspx

Wow awesome deal! Great optic and great mount! If I didn't already have a red dot and 3x magnifier, I would go for this deal.

pretty much the only option I can see for you is the primary arms 1-4 with a decent scope mount for $200.

https://www.primarya...14X_p/pa14x.htm

If you wanted to step it up above $200 i would go for a leatherwood, nikon, or vortex .

I've read some very good reviews on the Primary Arms scope... but the Leatherwood and Nikon for a bit more money is definitely a big step up in quality.

Just FYI. The pepr mount is not offset enough for a nose to charging handle cheek weld. It is reasonably priced and constructed, but for run and gun type stuff, eye relief issues kill it.

I've got one of the qd ones for swapping in a 4-12 scope to make accuracy testing of loads easier. It's fine for that and shooting from a bench.

Just FYI. The pepr mount is not offset enough for a nose to charging handle cheek weld. It is reasonably priced and constructed, but for run and gun type stuff, eye relief issues kill it.

I've got one of the qd ones for swapping in a 4-12 scope to make accuracy testing of loads easier. It's fine for that and shooting from a bench.

Are you saying that there is too much eye relief, so you can't get your nose to the charging handle?

One of the reasons I really like my current setup (PA red dot and 3x magnifier) is that I can get my nose right up to the charging handle with a good cheek weld (without having to crane my neck forward) and it's perfect.

Are you saying that there is too much eye relief, so you can't get your nose to the charging handle?

One of the reasons I really like my current setup (PA red dot and 3x magnifier) is that I can get my nose right up to the charging handle with a good cheek weld (without having to crane my neck forward) and it's perfect.

I think he is saying that the pepr is placing most 1-4 scopes to far back, forcing your head further back on the stock, if you brought your nose to the charging handle your face would touch the scope. I know I'm running an Larue SPR-E which is further forward then most and that barely does it. I think Raz-0 is running an ADM mount with the same type of offset as well.

I think he is saying that the pepr is placing most 1-4 scopes to far back, forcing your head further back on the stock, if you brought your nose to the charging handle your face would touch the scope. I know I'm running an Larue SPR-E which is further forward then most and that barely does it. I think Raz-0 is running an ADM mount with the same type of offset as well.

Thanks, Vlad. That is what I was trying to say... maybe I worded it wrong. I'm good with my red dot and 3x magnifier... but from time to time, I get the itch to maybe try out a 1-4x scope on my AR too. My aging eyes need the magnification for those longer shots... so it would be nice to be able to just twist the objective and move from 1x to 4x at will.

I really like my Burris MTAC 1-4x.

Crystal clear glass, fast transition from 1x to 4x (with cat tail).

Although it only weighs 17oz., it's just a bit too heavy for me, with the PEPR mount.

Rather than sit on my rifle, it sits on the shelf...

I'm saying that you have to have your nose about 1/3-1/2 way back on an a-1 length stock.

The Laurue spr-e mount has enough, so does the American defense recon-x, bobro has one, the primary arms one also looks long enough.

AMAZING deals goin on right now at Botach. Im getting myself a Accupoint 3-9x for my savage 10 that I don't even have yet lol. Normally these scopes run about $1000, on sale for $711 and free shipping. I really wanted to get this one for my AR, but I can't really justify getting this for my AR and the 3-9x for my future long gun, when I already have an EOtech for the AR. I may try to get some use out of the 3-9x on my AR until the long rifle build comes complete but who knows. Anyways good luck man!

Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x TR24-3g $711

http://www.botachtactical.com/trtrac130ri.html