vmastro87

Change of address, do you hand in your old FID?

I didn't have to... But they may treat it like a new card and jump through hurdles with prints and such. It's like starting all over. Just not quite as long. What pissed me off is the our town changed their name. I asked my Detective if it had to be changed. He said for sure. I didn't appreciate having to pay all the fees and such because our dang town changed names. Not my fault! Then when I got the new one, they took the old.

As is the case in NJ, every township seem to have their own rules but the popular consensus is to hang on to your old FID until such time you have your new one in hand.Considering some town takes months to accomplish this feat and you need it to purchase ammo, if requested I would just claim it misplaced in the move and conveniently find it when you get your new one.

First question you should ask them is if they are intending to put you through the finger printing process again.

Yes = Tell them you lost your card. Do not turn it in.

No = Tell them you lost your card. Should their next response be "yes", you will be re-fingerprinted. Then conveniently find it for them.

Old Bridge wanted me to turn it in. I thought they would just take it and mail me a new one quickly. Boy was I wrong. You have to apply all over from the beginning like it was your first time getting a FID. Fingerprints, money orders, references, etc etc.

It took 5 months to get my new FID, and that was after I finally said I was going to get a meeting with the Chief/Mayor. So that was 5 months without a FID, thus without its protections offer (as in transporting long guns, buying ammo, etc).

Never again, If I move again, I will demand that I keep my old card while waiting for the new one.

I cannot find anywhere in the statutes or NJAC giving LE the authority to force you to surrender your FID when you are requesting a change of address.

NJAC:

§ 13:54-1.11 Duplicate firearms purchaser identification card

(a) Persons shall apply for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card to replace a lost, stolen or mutilated card, or in the case of a change of residence by the holder, within 30 days of such loss, theft, mutilation, or change of residence.

(b) The applicant shall complete an application for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card designated as form STS-3 and a consent for mental health records search designated as form SP 66 and present same to the chief of police in the municipality where the applicant resides or to the Superintendent in all other cases.

© It shall be the responsibility of the chief of police of the municipality wherein the applicant currently resides or the Superintendent in all other cases, to conduct a criminal history records check and to determine if the applicant is subject to any of the disabilities as provided by law and this subchapter and to issue the duplicate card, should the applicant qualify. The applicant shall pay the appropriate fee for a Criminal History Record Check as established by N.J.A.C. 13:59 in accordance with N.J.S.A. 53:1-20.5 et seq. (P.L. 1985, c.69).

I lost my card in a boating accident...

The dog ate mine but luckily I was able to finally retrieve at least some of it....I asked if they still wanted me to relinquish what was left but they declined.

When I moved from Monmouth County to Hunterdon County a few years ago, I had to get my FID changed for the new address... Since my town in Hunterdon is so small, and we don't have a PD, we have to go through the NJSP. They let me keep my old FID while waiting for the new one (which took almost 6 months, ughhh!) in case I needed to buy ammo... and they didn't make me go through the whole process to get new prints and all that. The trooper at the barracks said that I had already gone through that when they issued my original FID, and my prints were on file already and didn't have to do it again. They just processed the address change and gave me the new card.

When I moved from Monmouth County to Hunterdon County a few years ago, I had to get my FID changed for the new address... Since my town in Hunterdon is so small, and we don't have a PD, we have to go through the NJSP. They let me keep my old FID while waiting for the new one (which took almost 6 months, ughhh!) in case I needed to buy ammo... and they didn't make me go through the whole process to get new prints and all that. The trooper at the barracks said that I had already gone through that when they issued my original FID, and my prints were on file already and didn't have to do it again. They just processed the address change and gave me the new card.

I wish local PD's were like this. It is how it should be.

I moved from Woodbridge to Old Bridge. I asked OB to just give Woodbridge a call and I'm sure they will send over my file/prints/etc. "Sorry we don't do that" is the answer I got.

Interesting. While you can use the STS-033 Application form (there is a box to check at the top, for a change of address), you would be better off to use the STS-003 form referenced in the NJ Administrative Code, which is specifically for the change of address, duplicate card etc. The benefit being that there are no fields on this form for either employer information or for personal references. The NJAC speciifes a non-criminal background check also - which infers to me the use of the SP-212A form, but a CLEO could probably use it to justify re-printing.

FYI: The STS-003 and the SP-066 can both be downloaded from the NJSP site. I wouldn't even ask the local PD, I'd just fill out the forms and present them as a fait accompli - if you're really ballsy - tell them you have your $18 MO for the SP-212A also - may pre-empt any talk of re-printing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I don't have to get re-printed, thankfully. It does stink that now I have to treat my rifles/shotguns like handguns with regard to traveling to from range, etc (i.e. no FID means I don't have a caary permit for long guns). Since I usually take both long guns and handguns with me to the range, I suppose the difference is mostly moot.

Doesn't your Driver's License need to match your FID? I've seen stores check the back DL for COA and match FID address.

For what purchase? Transportation? Buying Ammo? No

that really stinks, but i will be sure to lose it in the move then. When you get scammed/fingerprinted isn't that whole non sense through the state police computer so it shouldn't make a rats a** of a difference what township you apply in? Can they legally force you to go through a complete application again? and i saw someone said each township has different rules, arent all firearms laws from the state police book?

If you get fingerprinted for your initial FID, I don't understand why you have to go through the whole process all over again. If the NJSP doesn't require re-printing... then neither should a municipal PD. Isn't the NJ FID a state document anyway? Why does each PD make up their own rules when they should be acting as an agent of the STATE in managing FID apps, change of addresses, PPP's etc... ? This state is so F'd up.

FYI: The STS-003 and the SP-066 can both be downloaded from the NJSP site. I wouldn't even ask the local PD, I'd just fill out the forms and present them as a fait accompli - if you're really ballsy - tell them you have your $18 MO for the SP-212A also - may pre-empt any talk of re-printing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm about to do a change of address from Woodbridge to Aberdeen/Matawan.I can't seem to find the STS-003 form on the njsp site.Do you have a link?

Thanks,

When I tried to purchase a pellet rifle from a local sports store in 2003 they wouldn't accept my FAID since the address on it didn't match my DL address. I didn't realize that you could still transport and/or buy ammo with a different address listed. Thats good to know for future ref.

As for turning in old FAID's; after I had received my new FAID card, I had to turn over my old one to them.

I just moved to Parsippany and there "check list" for change of address stated: e) Must surrender current Firearms Identification Card when new card is issued.

That being said, she made a photocopy of my FID and made sure to hand it back to me and asked me to make sure I had it before I left.