cutterOne

Thoughts on Red Dot/Magnifier combo

All,

I'm planning on putting a red dot and magnifier combo on my Stag 8. I was wondering if this combo would be sufficient for primarily using at the range.

Primary Arms PAM3M

Primary Arms 6X magnifier

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

I don't think you need the 6x magnifier. Even 3x is pushing it. Note - the red dot itself will be 3x or 6x larger as well when you look through it.

If you need to see what you're hitting, get a spotting scope.

Having had two ARs (and seen/tried all the things friends have done with theirs) I second this advice.

I don't think you need the 6x magnifier. Even 3x is pushing it. Note - the red dot itself will be 3x or 6x larger as well when you look through it.

If you need to see what you're hitting, get a spotting scope.

Yes, the dot does get magnified... but so does the object you're aiming at... so the size of the dot doesn't reduce your accuracy or have a negative effect in any way. Why is 3x "pushing it"??? I don't get that statement. I used a 3x magnifier and it works great... @ 100 yrds, the target is actually visible and you can get very accurate shots on the bullseye (I get sub 2" groups)... without the magnifier the 2 MOA dot almost completely covers an 8" target @ 100 yrds and I get 6" to 8" groups.

All,

I'm planning on putting a red dot and magnifier combo on my Stag 8. I was wondering if this combo would be sufficient for primarily using at the range.

Primary Arms PAM3M

Primary Arms 6X magnifier

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

Go with the red dot and 3x magnifier... I have that combo and it works really well for me. As I stated in the previous post, I can get 2" or smaller groups at 100 yrds with this combo. I would get the 6x as a secondary magnifier if I needed more magnification or to make longer shots.

Hey All,

Thanks for the advice/comments. I ended up going with the PAM3M red dot w/a PA 3x magnifier (GENIII).

Its a good combo for the money. You should have no issues using the magnifier on a bench. Moving and shooting is a different story.

NJDiverTony, Checker50,

Thanks guys. my order has shipped so hopefully I'll have them by the end of the week or so. As for when it comes to being mobile, I looked for a flip/swing out mount but they seem to be out-of-stock everywhere so I went with a quick release mount for the magnifier.

Yes, the dot does get magnified... but so does the object you're aiming at... so the size of the dot doesn't reduce your accuracy or have a negative effect in any way. Why is 3x "pushing it"??? I don't get that statement. I used a 3x magnifier and it works great... @ 100 yrds, the target is actually visible and you can get very accurate shots on the bullseye (I get sub 2" groups)... without the magnifier the 2 MOA dot almost completely covers an 8" target @ 100 yrds and I get 6" to 8" groups.

Correct me if I am wrong Tony, but if your dot is covering 8" at 100 yards wouldn't you have a 8 moa dot?

Correct me if I am wrong Tony, but if your dot is covering 8" at 100 yards wouldn't you have a 8 moa dot?

It's my eyes really that make it feel like it's covering it... especially when you have to turn up the brightness on the dot. I used to have better than 20/20, but as the years go by that's changing and now just found out the other day that I need to start wearing light prescription glasses and have a slight bit of astigmatism. The dot is definitely 2 MOA, as it is smaller than another red dot sight that I have on one of my pistols that has a 3 MOA dot. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that a 3x magnifier is not "pushing it" as was mentioned... if anything it helps a lot with being more precise on your target.

NJDiverTony, Checker50,

Thanks guys. my order has shipped so hopefully I'll have them by the end of the week or so. As for when it comes to being mobile, I looked for a flip/swing out mount but they seem to be out-of-stock everywhere so I went with a quick release mount for the magnifier.

I asked Marshall at PA when they thought the flip to side will be back in stock a couple weeks ago, he said August sometime.

NJDiverTony, Checker50,

The swing mount is cool... but honestly I like the quick disconnect much better. This way you don't have to permanently keep the magnifier on the rifle. You can just quickly attach it when needed and then just as easily take it off.