destro23

"Eyes and Ears" - anything else?

Gonna buy my first "eyes and ears" may just shoot over to dicks as i'm going to try and go to range for first time with new gun this weekend. (and this will be my second time ever shooting).

Anything in particular to look for? or something in particular i should get that is better maybe at Local Gun Shop(LGS) ?

Also anything else that i should think about that is a must have?

So far all i have is a glock 19 Gen4 in it's case. Cleaning stuff? range bag? Grenades?

Thanks for any replies!

They should have some basic cleaning kits.

I would look at the highest NRR rating you can find for hearing protection - especially if you're shooting indoors.

ok i remember from what i saw at dicks that there were decibel ratings on them.. is this something stated on the package?

ok i remember from what i saw at dicks that there were decibel ratings on them.. is this something stated on the package?

Yes it should be. Look for the NRR number - the higher the better.

Some Active hearing protection (like the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs) will have a lower NRR number but will have the active protection to help boost regular sounds (talking, etc). For indoor situations, I double up with those and plugs.

As nick says, get some muffs, and foamy cheapo plugs. Double up when shooting indoors.

Cleaning kit is a good thing, but I would just get the parts that you need. Like a quality pistol cleaning rod (Tipton makes nice ones), solvent (i prefer G96 Gun Treatment as a bore and all around CLP), lube (i prefer Slip2000 EWL for oil, Magnalube for a grease), patches, brushes (bore and cleaning brush), jag. Easier to find this kind of stuff online. Dicks and gunshops in my experience are lacking in the cleaning department beyond the basics. Some argue that is all you need, up to you!

Enjoy shooting your new toy.

I would look into electronic hearing protection over the standard plugs or muffs. The electronic muffs are not much more and work especially well if you are instructing other or just want to talk. Also if you are shooting indoors I would go with a clear glass lens. I also agree with shizzoizzo7 a range bag is a good way to go. Midwayusa.com makes great range bags that are priced good and are high quality. I would also look into purchasing a Magazine Loader. I use one by Maglula and they are worth their weight in gold! They load single and double stacked mags the only thing they do not load is rimfire but they make another loader for that. If you are shooting outdoor also purchase a heavy duty forward action stapler to setup targets also metal plinkers are fun. I hope this helps!

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=4294846243&newcategorydimensionid=3939&

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/952670/maglula-uplula-pistol-magazine-loader-and-unloader-polymer-black

To start, that easy, get some simple passive muffs in the -30db range. Electronic ears aren't necessary right now, especially since you are new and won't be "instructing" anyone for quite some time. we've all gotten along with conversing with passive muffs for years, electronic is just a luxury. Also get some plugs to double up with indoors.

You'll need something to shoot at (targets) and a stapler to attach them. EXTRA ammo! A couple extra mags, WATER to drink, paper towels for sweaty hands and brow. Common sense stuff that you'd want to have at any activity out in the heat......

Good luck and be safe!

Dave

I bought a tool bag from Avanced Auto Parts that I use as a range bag. It works out great. Its a little on the small side, but great for a beginner. It's only about $25, but it's got a big zipper compartment on the bottom that you can fit the whole plastic carrying case that a new gun comes in and then the top is open for eyes/ears/ammo, and it has a bunch of pockets. I can post a pic later on when I get home if you'd like.

Any "Ears" that i should look at in particular? any links to anything decent? i'll also prob be doing some indoor sometime in the winter...

thanks in advance

Also i'm finding out you don't lube a glock up much at all... only like 4 drops max of oil. I'm going to order some Ballistol... any oil/lube that glocks like more then others?

looking to make a decent little cleaning kit/range bag...

I like to use Breakfree CLP for all of my gun cleaning/oiling. Any 'good' oil will work. I like CLP because it does a good job, leaves a good film, and smells like bananas.

As for ears, I bought mine at home depot. The extremely dense cylinder shaped ear plugs seem to work the best. I'm likely getting custom ear plugs made since my mom keeps pestering me about it (she works in an audiologists office).

All good suggestions. Good on you for having a LEO friend come along.

I, for one, do not think "range bags" with obvious firearms related markings on them are a good idea. I like Craftsman tool bags. Why? Because it looks like I have tools in the truck. Less questions if I am to get stopped. That's just me. As for cleaning kits, I have the basic Hoppe's kit and it works well. I like the smell and the oil seems to work just fine. Simple and cheap is good for me.

Good luck and be sure to post a range report on your new toy.

C