Barms

Rail gun?

i'm stupid, i can't figure out what does a "rail" gun mean. When i google it it says its an electronic machine gun.

i know that's not it. Is it just a term for the picatinyy rail? Or is it some sort of slide action?

i can't believe i can't figure this out..

A Rail gun is also a weapon the us military developed/is developing which uses electric pulses to fire a projectile very long distances accurately. They are planning on mounting them on future Navy Surface Combatant ships.

A Rail gun is also a weapon the us military developed/is developing which uses electric pulses to fire a projectile very long distances accurately. They are planning on mounting them on future Navy Surface Combatant ships.

Ever see the reload process? Something like 4 hours of work... Hundreds of bolts...worth it to shoot a projectile at speeds as fast as light half way around the globe? YES.

Ever see the reload process? Something like 4 hours of work... Hundreds of bolts...worth it to shoot a projectile at speeds as fast as light half way around the globe? YES.

Just wait until they find a metal that can hold a current, produce a magnetic field, and not need replacing after every shot. Accurate fire, with no chemical propellant, nearing the speed of light. The question is, how much damage would a Naval Rail Gun do? I saw one at 25 kW blow a hole in a wall the size of my head, and it was a small device.

That's sort of a fallacy, it won't go the speed of light. As an object with mass approaches the speed of light it starts to expand until it was the size of the universe. I also believe that objects going that speed give off massive amounts of radiation, but I'd have to check that.

if an object was going the speed of light it would just go off into space and not curve around the earth, escape velocity is about 17k mph

That's sort of a fallacy, it won't go the speed of light. As an object with mass approaches the speed of light it starts to expand until it was the size of the universe.

The physical size wouldn't change.. but the amount of energy required to accelerate an object increases to infinity as it's velocity approaches the speed of light

Upper limit on speeds

According to special relativity, the energy of an object with rest mass m and speed v is given by γmc2, where γ is the Lorentz factor defined above. When v is zero, γ is equal to one, giving rise to the famous E = mc2 formula for mass-energy equivalence. Since the γ factor approaches infinity as v approaches c, it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object with mass to the speed of light. The speed of light is the upper limit for the speeds of objects with positive rest mass. This is experimentally established in many tests of relativistic energy and momentum.[32]

Yes, a "rail gun" is a futuristic weapon that fires projectiles using electromagnetic force. Looks like the Navy is getting closer to building one that can be deployed from a ship.

But here in our gun world, it is Colt's brand name for their 1911 fitted with a Picatinny rail.

http://www.coltsmfg....oltRailGun.aspx

O1980RG.png