Cemeterys Gun Blob

Where some NJ Dem's Stand on guns

While this is redundant, let it be a reminder to people of how guns are viewed in this State......

Rep. William Pascrell (D-8th Dist.) who issued this statement: "Congress has become beholden to the extremists in the NRA and has failed in our ultimate responsibility: safeguarding our communities from deadly violence. We must reinstate the ban on assault weapons and high capacity magazines. Weapons of war have no place on our streets, and there’s not a doubt in my mind that lives would have been saved in Aurora if we hadn’t let this common sense law expire.

Rep. Rush Holt (D-12th Dist.): "As we watch the news with horror and sympathy for the families, we should remember that each day more than 80 Americans are killed by gunfire, unnecessary tragedies. Americans would like to see this number reduced. That calls for a variety of steps including mental healthcare, law enforcement, gun laws and public education. Arguments that gun safety legislation won’t help the situation seem to me illogical or blindly ideological."

Assembly majority spokesman Tom Hester, Jr.: "The Speaker (Sheila Oliver) and many Assembly Democrats are always looking at what can be done to strengthen New Jersey’s gun laws and crack down on illegal gun trafficking from other states where laws are more lax, but the Speaker also knows this effort requires a multi-faceted approach. To that end, the Speaker especially applauds Sens. Lautenberg and Menendez for their ongoing gun control efforts."

And the other members of NJ who haven't issued a statement on guns? Why they're being smeared for not having courage to speak out against the NRA.

Other politicians in Washington and Trenton, Democrats and Republicans, were offered the chance to comment on gun laws. They declined.

No grandstanding for them.

No courage, either.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_bob_braun/2012/07/braun_those_who_seek_gun_contr.html

This is an email I got from Holt!

It's the biggest F you I've seen, this man obviously doesn't represent us on this forum...

Dear Mr. ####:

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun-related violence. I appreciate knowing your views, and I apologize for the delay in my response.

During 2012, horrific acts of gun-related violence were perpetrated in Colorado, Wisconsin, Texas, New Jersey, and especially tragically, the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. While I join all Americans in sending my thoughts and prayers to the victim of gun crimes across the country, it's simply not enough for us to express our condolences. We must take action to make it harder for these tragedies to strike our communities.

We should remember that each day on average more than 80 Americans are killed by gunfire, unnecessary tragedies. All of these deaths, whether from homicide or suicide or accident, are tragic, and we must act to prevent as many as possible. Arguments that gun safety legislation won't help the situation seem to me illogical or blindly ideological.

I strongly support the effort Senators Lautenberg and Menendez are engaged in to require face-to-face ammunition purchasing requirements, and I am a co-sponsor of Rep. Carolyn McCarthy's companion bill (H. R. 142) in the House. I am also a co-sponsor of bills to strengthen background checks (H. R. 137), to close the gun show loophole that allows sales without the background checks (H. R. 141), and to prohibit the sale or possession of large capacity magazines, clips or drums (H. R. 138).

I successfully amended the House passed Fiscal Year 11 budget to ensure that the Department of Justice fully funded the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Improvement Amendments Act of 2007. NICS is a national database system that keeps track of individuals disqualified under current law from purchasing and possessing firearms. I am also a co-sponsor of Rep. McCarthy's "Fix Gun Checks Act" (H.R. 137), which would, among other things, extend the Brady Act background check procedures to unlicensed transferors and transferees of firearms.

I was pleased that Vice President Biden's Gun Violence Task Force recommendations embraced so many of these same concepts that I have long supported. Law enforcement organizations such as the International Association of Chiefs of Police understand that common-sense controls on the ownership and possession of firearms is important if we are to keep our streets safe. New Jersey's gun laws are strong, sensible, and help to keep us safe. Police, hobbyists, hunters, and other citizens live very comfortably under New Jersey's laws but our safety is undercut by lax laws in other states. I have opposed NRA giveaways like the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act that would trump state law and let anyone licensed in any state carry a concealed weapon in New Jersey. I will oppose strongly any efforts to undermine New Jersey's own effective gun control laws. At the start of the 113th Congress in January 2013, I introduced the Handgun Licensing and Registration Act (H. R. 117), which is modeled on the New Jersey law, and would extend the law uniformly across the country. It has worked in our state to help prevent "straw purchases" and other illegal efforts to obtain guns, and I believe such an approach can work nationally.

Communities across this country have suffered because the House Tea Party majority has also tried to cut back funding for local police departments and even proposed eliminating the highly successful Community Oriented Policing Services COPS program. Cities and towns across our state have seen federal funding for programs like COPS slashed several years in a row, and predictably, the loss of police officers on the beat has been matched by an increase in violent crime in our state and around the nation.

During the 112th Congress, I helped lead a bipartisan group successfully doubling funding for the COPS program in the Fiscal Year 2013 Justice Department appropriations bill, which resulted in an additional $94 million for the COPS program. Additionally, I also offered an amendment to close a loophole in the Sportsman's Heritage Act, H. R. 4089, that would have allowed hunting in all units of the National Parks System. Under the bill, hunting would be permitted in Great Falls National Historic Park in the heart of Paterson, the third-largest city in New Jersey. Unfortunately, the amendment ultimately was not successful. During the 113th Congress, I will be pressing for full funding for the COPS program to help bring down violent crime in New Jersey and across the nation.

It's actions like these—improved regulation of firearms and who can obtain them, along with proper funding of our police forces and mental health services—that are the key ingredients in making tragedies like the ones in Colorado, Wisconsin, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut less likely to happen. But we need all concerned Americans to raise their voice in support of sensible gun control changes being considered in Congress.

In its 2008 decision in the Heller vs. District of Columbia case, the Supreme Court affirmed that "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home" and that "Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited." I am pleased that the Supreme Court has recognized the legitimacy of efforts by states and localities to regulate the sale of handguns and to place limits on where those guns can be taken and used outside of a person's home, as well as on the apparent validity of licensing requirements and whether convicted felons can own firearms. I will continue to support common-sense legislation that helps to protect our communities from gun violence.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. To learn more about my work on this and other issues, please visit my website at http://holt.house.gov. I look forward to hearing from you again about this and other issues.

Sincerely,

RUSH HOLT

Member of Congress

P.S. Just a reminder: I always want to hear from you, but please don't reply to this e-mail. Instead, please email me through my website at http://holt.house.gov/contact or call me at 1-87-RUSH-HOLT (1-877-874-4658) to let me know what's on your mind. iqtrk.gif?crop=14549.3630727.3142354.7369589

Each of these canned letter writers and non supporters should be inundated with letterers, faxes, call and more telling them, that each of us will never ever vote for them, and we will make it our #1 priority to let as many people know that they shouldn't vote for them and how they are a disgrace to what this country was founded on.

1000's upon 1000's of communications to them like this and not for just right now, but from now till that are not reflected will be the only thing people with this mindset will understand.

They would out their mothers for votes to stay in position, so if they really feel their way of life will be changed, doesn't matter how they feel about something, they will go with what keeps them in office. Talk is cheap, actions matter. About time we get back to for the people, not the people for them!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Each of these canned letter writers and non supporters should be inundated with letterers, faxes, call and more telling them, that each of us will never ever vote for them, and we will make it our #1 priority to let as many people know that they shouldn't vote for them and how they are a disgrace to what this country was founded on.

if they really feel their way of life will be changed, doesn't matter how they feel about something, they will go with what keeps them in office. Talk is cheap, actions matter.

You speak the truth, sir.

So i go to Rush's site, and like most others, i can never find out from the site if they are Democrat or Republican?? Do they do this on purpose? I searched and found he is a Democrat, but you would think they would advertise this right on their own web page..... Sorry for the rant....

Neither--A Pinko Commie.

I don't believe all Democrats are anti-gun, and I sure as hell know that not all Republicans are pro-gun. So, how can we get a list of ALL the politicians in this state, and where their stance on gun controls lie? It should be a sticky so we can all do our part in this fight.

Maybe so, but I've said this before.... "They don't give us quality to pick from in the first place"... Candidates are shoved down our throats... Sometimes they all suck!

Everything that's wrong with this country--because it extends to ignorant voting citizens as well.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I don't believe all Democrats are anti-gun, and I sure as hell know that not all Republicans are pro-gun. So, how can we get a list of ALL the politicians in this state, and where their stance on gun controls lie? It should be a sticky so we can all do our part in this fight.

The NRA website should have a lit of them and what they are rated in regards to gun rights.

I didn't find anything on the NRA website Harry, but I did find info on the NJ2AS website. I don't see the views of the reps on there, maybe I need to dig more. I do like their site (NJ2AS) and think it's high-time I join them. I joined the NRA because I was "forced" to do so, as you know.

I didn't find anything on the NRA website Harry, but I did find info on the NJ2AS website. I don't see the views of the reps on there, maybe I need to dig more. I do like their site (NJ2AS) and think it's high-time I join them. I joined the NRA because I was "forced" to do so, as you know.

Defiantly time to join the NJ2AS, they have done a wonderful job in just the short time they have been around. As far as the NRA, I understand a lot of people thinking like this in NJ, but I'd hate to think the way things would be nationally if it weren't for them and we are part of the national part. Would I like to see more done, sure, but even if we don't see the direct dealing in NJ, we do realize a lot of things averted, wether know by us or not is how I think about it.