Sign in to follow this  
car guy

Move from MI to NJ - Need Guidence on Transfering Handguns

Hi All-

Moved from MI to Parsippany, NJ. I've recienty submitted my paperwork for my NJ Firearms Purcharser ID and Handgun permits. I have some questions about the whole process, mostly to do with bringing handguns already owned:

1) I applied to get the handgun permits, however, I am not buying any handguns but only bringing handguns I already own from MI. Do I need one handgun premit for every handgun? Does the 1 handgun every 30 days rule apply to handguns I already own? Are you required to take handguns purchased as a resident of another state into the PD for regresration?

2) I'm aware of the 15 shot magazine rule in New Jersey. I have a Glock 17 that takes 17 round magazines. Could I bring the Glock 17 if I only brought into NJ 10 round magazines for it?

Any guidance from people who have previously lived in other states and brought handguns in is very appreciated!

Just bring the handguns. No requirement to register them with the PD or anybody else. Permits are only for in-state purchase - to which OGAM applies.

Yes leave the 17 round mags with a friend or family in MI. Or you could ship them (from MI) to Paul (PK90 on the board) at Arms-n-Ammo and have them pinned to 15 rounds. 10 rounders are fine.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1) You do NOT need any handgun permits for handguns you legally own prior to moving to NJ with them. Registration is COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY and should be avoided.

2) You can bring your Glock 17 with you, but the 17 round mags should be left on the "free" side of the border.

Thanks for the quick answers guys!

I guess I was expecting some hoops to jump through regarding bringing the handdguns. Just to be clear, there isn't any kind of NJ state issued paperwork I would need to prove the handguns are "mine" and legally obtained (e.g. driving to a shooting range and gettting pulled over)? The reason I ask is because in Michigan you get a "Safety Inspection" certificate with each handgun (almost like having a car title for each car you own).

Well, I guess if I have some premits coming it will give me an excuse to buy something new in New Jersey! Any gun shop recommendations in or around Morris County?

When you come into the state with them... Bring them directly to your residence and make sure that they are unloaded and cased in back of vehicle in locked cases. I would also store ammunition separately. And, be very careful with hollow point ammo. You can own it, but you need the follow the exemptions just as you would for handgun. You will want to carefully know NJ laws.

HI and welcome, Are they lying to americans and giving them free shit for coming to Zoo jersey.

Haha. No, but I did get a pretty good job out here. Other than the "may issue" status of New Jersey making it impossible to transfer my CCW licence, everything I own (with the exception of the 15+ round mags) is legit to have here. It isn't as bad as I thought.

PatriotOak is correct, you do not need to register your handguns but you MUST be sure to transport them according to NJ's arcane and confusing regulations. Google "Brian Aitken" for an example of someone who inadvertently failed to comply with some of the administrative requirements (or did comply depending on interpretation) and got 7 years hard time. Yes, 7 years.

Start with the sticky on top of this forum. Once you've read it thoroughly please ask any questions you might have.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-nj-law-summary-read-first-nj-gun-law-faqs/

And welcome to our community. Sorry you have to deal with NJ but we have a good, supportive bunch of people here and will do all we can to help.

Thanks for the quick answers guys!

I guess I was expecting some hoops to jump through regarding bringing the handdguns. Just to be clear, there isn't any kind of NJ state issued paperwork I would need to prove the handguns are "mine" and legally obtained (e.g. driving to a shooting range and gettting pulled over)? The reason I ask is because in Michigan you get a "Safety Inspection" certificate with each handgun (almost like having a car title for each car you own).

Well, I guess if I have some premits coming it will give me an excuse to buy something new in New Jersey! Any gun shop recommendations in or around Morris County?

If you acquired your handguns legally where you lived previously and they are not banned by NJ's AWB there is absolutely nothing you need to do to possess them legally in NJ. You should however hold on to any paperwork that you may have from when you bought them in MI (or wherever) should the unlikely situation arise that you somehow need to prove to the police that you acquired them legally. Registration is of handguns is not required under NJ law, but is done automatically when you buy any in NJ. The Pistol Purchase Permits you will receive from your PD are for buying new handguns only, if your were to decide to voluntarily register your handguns (which, as others have already stated is a bad idea), you would use a different form.

PatriotOak is correct, you do not need to register your handguns but you MUST be sure to transport them according to NJ's arcane and confusing regulations. Google "Brian Aitken" for an example of someone who inadvertently failed to comply with some of the administrative requirements (or did comply depending on interpretation) and got 7 years hard time. Yes, 7 years.

Start with the sticky on top of this forum. Once you've read it thoroughly please ask any questions you might have.

http://njgunforums.c...j-gun-law-faqs/

And welcome to our community. Sorry you have to deal with NJ but we have a good, supportive bunch of people here and will do all we can to help.

Thanks Lorenzo. The FAQ answered some of the remaining questions I had. The transportation laws are similiar to non-CCW holders in Michigan.

The good news is all the hand guns I have I can bring. I can live with the 15 round mag limit but oh how fun a Glock 17 can be with the 33 rounders!

Well you didn't waste your time applying for the FID. In NJ, you need one to buy ammunition for handguns. (And a few extra permits around doesn't hurt either :) )

Yes, the FID and premits will still come in handy. I will be buying myself a new Christmas present.