NJSigfan

Obtaining a copy of an old permit

I hope this is in the right forum...

So since I'm home for the next few weeks I decided to do a good clean out of old home office paperwork. After looking thru about 3 boxes marked with my name I realized that I must have lost or accidentally shred the copies I made of my first handgun permit. Is there a way to get a copy of that permit? The gun purchase was made 21 yrs ago and I've moved away from the original township that approved the permit.

The gun was purchased legally through a local store that has since gun out of business...

Make an NJ OPRA request? Not sure how they could deny the request since you obviously at one point had a copy of the permit.

I would just do it online and then call and **** if I didn't like the results. I think they have to respond (best of what they have and where) within 7 days.

The issuing agency receives their copy after purchase, it should then go into your firearms file. If you contact the PD that issued it, they should be able to make you a photo copy without an issue. I am sure some places are better then others when it comes to keeping track of paperwork, but I think most PD's take the firearms file's pretty seriously, since they are on the hook if they screwed it up.

After 21 years? If you are lucky, it might be in a dusty old basement loaded with cob webs.

The issuing agency receives their copy after purchase, it should then go into your firearms file. If you contact the PD that issued it, they should be able to make you a photo copy without an issue. I am sure some places are better then others when it comes to keeping track of paperwork, but I think most PD's take the firearms file's pretty seriously, since they are on the hook if they screwed it up.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple... ;)

After 21 years? If you are lucky, it might be in a dusty old basement loaded with cob webs.

I routinely get NJ government files that old. And have been for the past 10 years. Nowadays we are doing it a couple times a month. Just go to the NJ OPRA website and put in a request. They have to tell you what they have within 7 days. In a few cases they will say they have some stuff in a location that requires a little more time to find. But they must respond.

Never tried on handgun purchase permits.

The permits is what I was referring. IF they destroy them, chances are slim. (shrug)

I routinely get NJ government files that old. And have been for the past 10 years. Nowadays we are doing it a couple times a month. Just go to the NJ OPRA website and put in a request. They have to tell you what they have within 7 days. In a few cases they will say they have some stuff in a location that requires a little more time to find. But they must respond.

Never tried on handgun purchase permits.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple... ;)

The permits is what I was referring. IF they destroy them, chances are slim. (shrug)

If they destroy them, the chances are zero.

If you have to worry about "a dusty old basement loaded with cob webs," you'll get a response in 7 days.

And you'll get to review it or get a copy in less than One Gun a Month.

Unless there is is something in the NJ OPRA/FOIA that forbids disclosure even to yourself.