njpilot

Jessica's Law

I clicked on it but it does not say what the law is about. Is that on purpose?

Please just let me know if I should vote Yes or No. Thanks.

+1

After writing a response as to which law this could be about I decided to just google it, this is what i found, the bold letters are for easy reading.

Named in memory of Jessica Lunsford, who was abducted and sexually assaulted before being brutally murdered, "Jessica's Law" refers to the Jessica Lunsford Act passed in Florida which mandates a minimum sentence of 25 years and a maximum of life in prison for first-time child sex offenders

I think child sex offenders should be locked up.

What I'd like to see more is an obligation for the police to arrest and the county to peruse charges. I find it ironic that in cases of spousal abuse the police are obligated to act, but when a man molests his step son, the child's mother can choose not to act and DYFS puts the molester back in the house.

I oppose mandatory sentences.

I suspect in 99.98% of situations, I'd be in favor of 25 years for child sex offenders. But mandatory sentences can sometimes have negative unexpected effects.

For example, a 17 year old girl has sex with a 13 year old boy. The boy can't legally have consented, but let's assume he was up for it. In this case, the 17 year old girl is a child sex offender, and the next time we see her out of prison she's 42 and a burden to society for ever. In this case, a year or two of prison (maybe) and some counseling probably would have been better for everyone.

There are always edge cases when mandatory sentences aren't great.

I oppose laws with kids' names attached to them. They are generally passed on emotion and not logic.

In some states, if you get caught taking a whiz in public, you are forever branded a sex offender due to Megan's law.

That said, 25 years is too short for a scumbag who forcibly rapes a child.

This petition went up after a man was charged with 47 counts of raping 2 young boys for years. The boys wanted to testify at trial, but the judge decided himself, that he would "protect" the boys from going through the trial and sentenced this monster to 2 years, yes, 2 years.

He will get time served and be released in Sep. Fortunately the Feds have stepped up and will be charging him since he took one of the boys across state lines.

He could now get 10 years to life.

I agree that mandatory sentencing has it's negatives, but multiple times in the last few years, child molesters have been given very little jail time and even probation by some judges.

Something needs to be done to protect children from these monsters.

Personally, I'm ok with the death penalty.

That's a very widespread idea, unfortunately, it would take a judge to pass that law. Kind like the healthcare thing they just passed about judges paying for their own insurance or something. They would essentially be tying the rope and keeping 3 legs of the chair off the ground.

The answer is NJ judges should run for election like they do in other states. There should be no lifetime appointments.

Let them get re-elected on their record. I sincerely doubt the judge you mentioned above would survive a re-election bid.

Yes, we have f*cked up, crooked, lawless judges in this state, but I believe the story I referred to above happened in NY.

http://www.billoreilly.com/site/rd?satype=13&said=11&url=%2Fpetitions%2Fviewpetition%3FpetitionID%3D260092864700438643

I cannot support mandatory sentences. Unfortunately sometimes it would be beneficial to have them, as noted in examples above, however the times it gets turned around and thrown at someone who doesn't warrant the sentence out weights the benefits, IMO. It is also unfortunate we are in a system that has huge flaws (clear douche bag criminals getting a plea deal to reduce a sentence where people who maybe made a mistake get the book thrown at them for something significantly less of a crime).

It's a no win, and sometimes feels like a coin flip how sentencing works. A mandatory sentence eliminates any possibility of even that.

The problem is these people don't stay in jail. I'm a moderator on another forum and we had a guy disappear. Nobody knew where he went. Turned out he got locked up for having inappropriate relations with his step daughter. I found it out by searching for him online and found his mug shot. With in a year of being arrested he is already out of jail and living in pa. He hasn't came back on the forum but yet again the Internet can find you. How someone can get out of jail that fast is just crazy. I doubt he was found not guilty because he confessed.

The answer is NJ judges should run for election like they do in other states. There should be no lifetime appointments.

Let them get re-elected on their record. I sincerely doubt the judge you mentioned above would survive a re-election bid.

There are just as many problems with electing a judge as with appointing them. It turns them into politicians, and we know how many good, honest politicians there are.

It's one of those problems where there's bad and worse.

Maybe appointment with public recall on the ballot. Beholden to very few to get in, and only to the citizenry to stay in.

Yeah, cuz we do such a bang up job with our other elected officials. Elected judges are a terrible idea. Do you really want someone ruling on a case you might be involved in who relies on the public to keep him employed?

Yeah, cuz we do such a bang up job with our other elected officials SERVANTS. Elected judges are a terrible idea. Do you really want someone ruling on a case you might be involved in who relies on the public to keep him employed?

Fixed that for ya. Until and unless we start caling them what they actually are, and not giving them fuel for their huge egos, and even bigger heads once they consider themselves "officials" over us, not much is ever going to change.