jds560

Getting my FID, looking for my first handgun

Hello, I'm new. Located in Essex Co. I'll be handing in all the necessary forms to get my FID card and a pistol purchase permit. Anyway, I've been scouring the internet and watching videos, reading reviews etc trying to figure out what I should get for my first handgun (when the time comes!) I figure it will be about 3 months before I actually get my ID card and permit, but there's no harm in looking and figuring out what I want right? I'm not sure if I can walk into a gun store and check out what's available without a FID card so I think for the time being, I'm limited to word of mouth.

While I've never fired an actual handgun before I've messed with Airsoft style guns with compressed air and the like, but I'm still a novice. I understand all the functions of a handgun so I'm not looking for a "dumb proof" weapon. I'd like to avoid getting a revolver or a Glock. I'm not a big fan of either.

I'm considering keeping the price around $600 or less and I'm not biased to new or used. I'd like to get at least a .380 but preferrably a 9mm .40 or 45

Here are some of the models I've been considering but I'm not sure which is the best for a first handgun

S&W M&P40 (compact or full size)

Walther PPQ

Beretta 92FS

S&W 5904 (can be had for about $250 used)

FNP 9, 40, 45

I would ultimately like to own a H&K USP .45 but that's way out of my league in price.

I don't know if there's anything else I should be on the lookout for. I've read and seen nothing but great reviews for the PPQ so I was leaning that way, but I really like the price point of the 5904 and I've read it's extremely reliable even for a used weapon.

Welcome, I can speak for the mp.40 full size and it fits my small hands perfectly. It also has 3 different back strap for different hand sizes and I love it. I also then bought a 9mm barrel that easily converts it for $60 and I shoot both 9mm now with the .40 in one pistol. I got the range kit which helps out a little if it's your first pistol, it has 3 mags an ear plug and the very useful mag loader uplula.

My best suggestions is to go feel the gun and the way it shoots like Easton, PA. Firearms guild. They has several pistols to try out, it might get a little pricey if you try out multiple pistols because you also pay for a box of ammo and the pistol. Thats where I fell in love with it before buying it.

I'm sure a few of the guys here will chime in about the other choices you listed. Good luck on your choices and get ready to get addicted.

I bought an m9 (basically Beretta 92) and would recommend it.

I would suggest taking an NRA first steps class if you've never owned/fired a handgun before. Its a very relaxed class that emphasizes safety and usually introduces you to different firearms during the class. I can recommend an instructor

n central jersey if you are local.

I would recommend the Beretta 92 as an excellent choice for a first handgun. Any of the 92 variants are very good, but I chose the 92A1 as my first handgun and I haven't regretted it. It's a great home defense pistol, and also a great range pistol. The M&P 9mm is another great choice. I recently got one and I really like it, especially after installing the Apex DCAEK upgrades. Having the interchangeable backstraps with the M&P is great, as you get the best grip for your hand. I've read good things about the FNP's, but I think that the Beretta 92 or the M&P would be better choices.

If you don't have experience with shooting, buy a .22LR and shoot it often.

These days you can find a .22 clone of many of the most popular handguns out there (1911, Beretta 92, M&P, Glock).

Another option would be to buy a centerfire pistol and a 22LR conversion kit for it (kits available for 1911, Glock, Beretta, Sig)

As far as what's best - there is no "best". Any modern handgun from any of the main brands you pick up will be a quality piece.

Go and fondle a bunch of them and pick what you like best.

One last thing, if you're planning on shooting it a lot, think of ammo cost and whether it's worth it to go with a trendy caliber like a .40S&W Personally I don't see the point of paying twice the price of 9mm for some marginal increase in "stopping power".

I'm about a few months ahead of you... First thing i did was call up a range while i was on vacation in florida and told them i have never shot or held a handgun in my life... and if i went there could they teach me how to shoot... they said come on down!! I was taught right there on the spot all safety procedures and gun/range rules... they beat it into me. And the really nice guy at that range also never left my side and helped me with grip/stance/ how to load... And even when my hand started shaking really bad... he only laughed a little and told me to shoot through it cuz i was nervous!! lol Also turned out i was shooting a .45 glock handcanon!!! Afterwords he told me he gave me the biggest cal handgun as my first gun because everything i shoot after this gun should be easier lol. These southern guys are funny.

THats the only time i've ever shot... and i just bought a New Glock 19 Gen from PK90 off this forum. I still have not gone to the range with it.. But this weekend may be the first time!!! I'm a little nervous but i think i'll be fine. This will be my second time ever shooting coming up!

I say DEF take a class... or go with an instructor for your first time... it's well worth it. I didn't pay extra for it just had to rent the gun and buy ammo there in florida. Not sure if they are as nice up here.

Firstly, Welcome JDS560. I was in the same boat a few months ago and I am new to the hobby as well. Although a little North of your price point, I picked up a Sig Sauer P226 tactical. I cannot say enough good things about the gun. I would also look at Glock. The only reason I did not get a Glock was that since I was new to this, there was something about seeing the position of the hammer.

Beretta PX4 Storm is also a nice pistol.

You could go to RTSP and rent a few different pistols to try. They have a nice selection of rentals and for sale pistols. I don't think you need an FID to rent a pistol and use the range, bit don't quote me on that.

Your choices are all solid. I was interested in the 5904 until I held one. That was the end of that. It just didn't feel good in my hand. I have smallish hands and didn't like it.

People complain about small hands and the Beretta 92 but it felt fine to me.

The basic difference in your selections is metal vs polymer and striker vs hammer. You pretty much have to shoot some and see what you prefer.

I think it really depends on what you intend to do with the gun.

Target pinking, USPSA, steel plate. Home protection?

You really can't go wrong with a .22 LR for a first gun. Trust me when I say you will end up buying more.

My first was a Beretta 92FS in 9mm. I like the decocking feature and that it is a hammer fired gun. As new shooters those two things were important to me. I purchased the 22 slide converstion "Practice" kit for it and now have the best of both worlds. The other nice thing about the 92 is that it's a military weopon and since there are so many of them around you will be able to find parts 20 and 30 years from now. I also liked the Beretta PX4, actually, it felt better in my hand than the 92, but my dealer couldn't locate one with NJ legal magazines, so I opted for the 92FS. No regrets at all.

A gun is a very personal preference. They all fit and feel different in yoru hand to mine. Go to a gun store that has a good selection and tell the salepersone. Hold several, see what feels good.

You'll get many suggestions as you can see above. If you think you'll end up getting further firearms along the way then I would suggest a good first firearm is either the Walther PPQ you listed, the M&P or the Glock 19 or 17.

The advantage of the Glock is you can get a .22 conversion kit for it, there are many many options/accessories e.g. holsters, sights and other items. They are reliable, common, easy to find, easy to clean, easy to look after. If you do something wrong, break something, lose something then getting spare parts is trivial and cheap. I know you put you didn't want a Glock - even with that I would still suggest at least trying one.

The advantage of the PPQ is the better trigger, however magazines are more expensive (even if you go for the non-Walther branded magazines), sights are a little more limited and also the availability of the PPQ is not as good at present due to their popularity.

M&P - similar positives to the Glock.

I would suggest waiting to the future for firearms such as DA/SA triggers (Sig, Beretta) and SAO (1911s) and firearms with externals safeties.

I've only been shooting for < 1 year, if I was to go back in time and start again my first firearm would be either the Glock or the M&P.

Best option is to go somewhere (e.g. Shoreshot, RTSP) and rent a few and see which you like

For ammunition - I would recommend 9mm without question. It is fairly cheap, has reasonable self-defense capability when using hollow points. Ammunition will be by far your largest cost over your lifetime of shooting.

However - If you've not really shot much then going the .22LR route is actually likely to make you a better shooter quicker as you'll concentrate more on technique.

TheWombat

I think I'm going to avoid buying a .22, and instead I might go to a public shooting range as suggested on the weekends and get some experience, I'm sure they have .22's I can rent and shoot a few hundred rounds through just to get the hang of things. I'm really leaning towards the S&W 5904 just because of the price. If I end up not liking shooting for fun at the range, at least I'll have a capable home defense weapon and it won't be a huge investment. I do have a Beretta 92 airsoft type weapon and I know for sure it can't be anything like the real deal, but it does fit comfortably in my hand. I like the fact that you can buy one that's made in italy (I'm Italian haha), but I think it might be a bit expensive for a first timer.

I'd like to know though, what's the deal with .40 S&W. It seems to be a niche product and it's already been mentioned in this thread. I don't know a lot about these things, but I figured ammo is cheaper than .45 and it still has a good amount of stopping power, so why not?

I'd like to know though, what's the deal with .40 S&W. It seems to be a niche product and it's already been mentioned in this thread. I don't know a lot about these things, but I figured ammo is cheaper than .45 and it still has a good amount of stopping power, so why not?

JMO, but I would take 9mm over .40 in a self-defense weapon any day of the week.

JMO, but I would take 9mm over .40 in a self-defense weapon any day of the week.

+1 I just don't like the .40. I don't find it as pleasurable to shoot as the 9mm. There a bunch of great choices for 9mm self defense ammo that have plenty of stopping power, and just for recreational shooting 9mm ammo is going to cost less.

40S&W is the compromise between the 10mm and the 9mm.

back in the 80's the FBI wanted something more powerful than the 9 but less powerful than the 10mm.

the 40 became very popular with law enforcement.

Not sure why they didn't stick with the 45ACP, maybe something to do with lower capacity due to the 45's larger case diameter.

another "quick" question. I was doing some more searching and I'd like to know a bit about 2 firearms. The Walther P22 and the S&W 6904. A lot of you are saying get a .22 and I really like how the P22 is designed but from what I've read it's a bit on the shady side in terms of quality. Reports say the slide can fly back while shooting it. Also, I discovered the 6904 while searching for 5904's on auction sites. Is there a huge difference between the two or is the 6904 just an evolution of the design? They appear to have similar build dates (starting in the late 80's to the late 90's).

I discovered the 6904 while searching for 5904's on auction sites. Is there a huge difference between the two or is the 6904 just an evolution of the design?

While S&W wheelguns are more my bailiwick, it appears that the 6904 is the compact version of the 5904. Both use alloy frames and carbon steel slides and both are "blued". 4" barrel on the full size vs 3.5" on the compact. Both third generation. Various sight arrangements were available.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

another "quick" question. I was doing some more searching and I'd like to know a bit about 2 firearms. The Walther P22 and the S&W 6904. A lot of you are saying get a .22 and I really like how the P22 is designed but from what I've read it's a bit on the shady side in terms of quality. Reports say the slide can fly back while shooting it. Also, I discovered the 6904 while searching for 5904's on auction sites. Is there a huge difference between the two or is the 6904 just an evolution of the design? They appear to have similar build dates (starting in the late 80's to the late 90's).

I don't know how big your hands are, if say mine are average, and I can't really hold that gun in a comfortable way. Too small. I've also heard its VERY picky with ammo.

While I'm still debating about exactly what I want to get, I think I've narrowed down at least one thing. Reality has set in and I can't afford more than $400 initially. I'm not the richest guy in the world (at the moment). That brings down the potential candidates significantly. I've found a few CZ-75 compact models for about $300 and from what I've read they're great handguns. The 5904, 6904 and the 915 are also in that price range, and from what everyone has been saying and what I've ready they're all great handguns as well. While the 92fs looks to be out of my budget, the PX4 does fit in. It seems to be a great little gun as well... I really need to feel all of these in person and I'm going to try to go to a PA range with rentals next weekend.

Also, from what I've been reading, most people think that a first handgun should be bought at a store instead of online, but from experience with other products (not firearms), aren't stores a lot more expensive due to the overhead? Are any local gun shops likely to have these older S&W models, or do they just stock more current offerings? I just want to get everything right because it's my first time doing this.

Since you are in Essex Co I definitely say take a Gun For Hire NRA First Steps class. You don't need your own gun and you'll get to try a few different types of guns which may give you a better idea of what you want. Esepcially since you have never fired a handgun before. Learning proper grip and technique as you take your first shots under the supervision of an instructor is a great way to make sure you don't develop any bad habits which will harder to "fix" once muscle memory kicks in. Things like flinching , recoil management , breathing ,etc ..learning all these things the very first time you handle a handgun is a wonderful thing. Most importantly , you will learn how to be safe and you'll learn range ettiquette. Can't go wrong there.

Welcome to the forum , and good luck!

Well I went yesterday to hand in all my paperwork and low and behold, the detective for the firearms division wasn't there. I'm in Newark, and we're only allowed to submit between 9-11 on Monday's. I called today and spoke to someone else in the firearms division and was told that the detective is always on call so it's almost impossible to know when he'll be in the office. Has anyone else had these issues in Newark? I'd really like to get my paperwork all taken care of. I'm going to assume it'll take me anywhere from 3-6 months to hear back after I submit everything because of how slow this city is...

Well I went yesterday to hand in all my paperwork and low and behold, the detective for the firearms division wasn't there. I'm in Newark, and we're only allowed to submit between 9-11 on Monday's. I called today and spoke to someone else in the firearms division and was told that the detective is always on call so it's almost impossible to know when he'll be in the office. Has anyone else had these issues in Newark? I'd really like to get my paperwork all taken care of. I'm going to assume it'll take me anywhere from 3-6 months to hear back after I submit everything because of how slow this city is...

Sounds typical. The guy handling the firearm stuff is out, on vacation, sick, injured, death in the family, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

But hey, on the bright side. Most of Newark gun owners are illegal and do not go through the PD, so you might have a short wait.

While I'm still debating about exactly what I want to get, I think I've narrowed down at least one thing. Reality has set in and I can't afford more than $400 initially. I'm not the richest guy in the world (at the moment). That brings down the potential candidates significantly. I've found a few CZ-75 compact models for about $300 and from what I've read they're great handguns. The 5904, 6904 and the 915 are also in that price range, and from what everyone has been saying and what I've ready they're all great handguns as well. While the 92fs looks to be out of my budget, the PX4 does fit in. It seems to be a great little gun as well... I really need to feel all of these in person and I'm going to try to go to a PA range with rentals next weekend.

Also, from what I've been reading, most people think that a first handgun should be bought at a store instead of online, but from experience with other products (not firearms), aren't stores a lot more expensive due to the overhead? Are any local gun shops likely to have these older S&W models, or do they just stock more current offerings? I just want to get everything right because it's my first time doing this.

I handle the CZ75 full size and compact. Loved the full size. Hated the compact.

The older S&W show up used in lots of stores.

Plastic is fantastic! Look at a used Glock.

Take a NRA basic pistol course. You will get the opportunity to fire a range of handguns.

You will also learn how to handle them safely.

Once comfortable go to Rtsp or shore shot and rent what catches yor fancy.

Other people can recommend quality guns, bit what othet people like you might hate.

Finding a gun is a very personal decision that only you can make

The initial price of a gun is almost nothing compared with the cost of ammo.

2000 rounds of 22 gets you a lot of training for under 100 bucks.

same amount in 9 will run you the price of a gun ~450 bucks

It only gets more expensive when going to 40 and 45

S&W M&P40 (compact or full size)

Walther PPQ

Beretta 92FS - Need to have medium to large hands... I think the CZ 75 grip feels better. If you get the Beretta, get one with removable front sight... 92A1, etc.

I would avoid these unless you find a fabulous deal...

S&W 5904 (can be had for about $250 used)

FNP 9, 40, 45 - with the 9mm version you would be limited to 10 round magazines. If you really want an FN in 9mm, see if you can find an FNP-9M

I really want to go to a range with some rentals and try everything out. I know of the Heritage Guild in Easton PA, and the Sunset Hill Range has the 5906 for rental. My question is, in NJ, can you go to a range rent a gun and buy ammo without a FID card? I know that you can't purchase ammo without a FID, and I doubt I can buy it off the internet and have it shipped to my door, but these PA ranges are all over an hour from my house. I saw that RTSP does rentals, and they have a few things I'd like to try (P22, PX4), but I'm not sure if I need my FID first...

Have you thought about the NRA First Steps class a few of us mentioned? You don't to have an FID or have ever picked up a gun before. I know cost is an issue and the class adds to the cost ..but really once you think about what it costs by the time you pay for your range time , several rentals , a box of ammo for each rental in reality taking the class turns out to be a little bit more money but much more bang for the buck ( includes range time , ammo , trying the guns , and a really good first time lesson) . Odds are if you communicate with the instructor ahead of time they will have the guns you are wanting to try.

An NRA basic course runs around 150ish dollars.

I went to RTSP with a friend and he rented a .40 cal Sig. It cost us 120 dollars for the hour.

Take the course. You will shoot several guns and get a better feel for what you are looking for. If money is tight for you (it is for me) you won't want to spend it wrongly. The smart money is spent on a class. Call Gun for Hire and schedule. Anthony is Italian as well and from that area. He's a great guy with a great company that supports the firearm owners of the state. You'll dig him.

If you would like to shoot, I go to Bullet Hole once a week. I have a 9mm pistol and a couple of rifles. PM me and I will give you my info. I'm happy to have you try out my stuff.

C