Duppie

Your First Hangun?

We have a new member asking about opinions on his first hand gun, a position that I was in not too long ago...... I screwed it up royally not because of any advice I received here but simply because I had yet to identify what I wanted it to do.

I wanted a HD gun first and foremost and read all the articles,scanned the videos and checked the prices and availability, then proceeded to ignore all common sense and brought home the red headed step child of the Sig Sauer line... the P250 compact 9mm. Nuff said.

I have since purchased 3 more hand guns and realized that I love all steel guns, the weight,accuracy, craftsmanship,permanence and history all appeal to me and make not only myself but my wife better marksmen.

I am now in negotiations with a friend to trade the Sig for a sweet S&W and lessons learned.

How about you? Still in love with your first,traded up,regrets? We can all learn.

I was never into handguns, ever. All I had was rifles, and one Rem 870 for HD. I don't compete, and knew there was zero chance of ever being able to carry in NJ, so I saw no need for a pistol. Then one day I just changed my mind and decided i needed one, so I finally went through the paperwork process and got an M&P9. I love the frikkin thing, it is awesome, but it is all I know about handguns. I don't see the need for me to own more, but I have to say that the thought of owning a revolver is gnawing away at me. But I don't think I have the patience to go through the paperwork thing again.

I have no regrets about my choice so far -- except that maybe I should have went for one of the models with a thumb safety.

Didn't get into handguns till last year and my first purchase was a Springfield XDM 45acp, 4.5". I love that gun. Since then I have purchased a few others including a Sig and revolvers and I still like the XDM best. I'm starting to collect and appreciate the different sizes, materials, and styles out there.

My first handgun was a Ruger SR9. Down by the docks, it was love at first sight. It's light, has decent capacity (legal limit), and fits my hand like a damn glove. I loved shooting it...until I got a 1911 :wub: I've fired plenty of handguns, and my S&W 1911 in .45acp hasn't lost one bit of its allure. I still have the SR9...but even with half the capacity, my 1911 is my HD handgun of choice.

My first handgun was a Ruger SR9. Down by the docks, it was love at first sight. It's light, has decent capacity (legal limit), and fits my hand like a damn glove. I loved shooting it...until I got a 1911 :wub: I've fired plenty of handguns, and my S&W 1911 in .45acp hasn't lost one bit of its allure. I still have the SR9...but even with half the capacity, my 1911 is my HD handgun of choice.

....A love story....a mistress....a happy ending?....stay tuned.

My first was a Beretta 92A1. I fell in love with it since day one and still love to shoot it after buying 4 other great pistols. I recently got an M&P 9mm that I'm really digging lately... and really enjoy shooting my E-series S&W 1911... But my 92A1 is still my first love. Those darn Italians sure know how to build sexy looking guns! LOL.

My first was a Beretta 92A1. I fell in love with it since day one and still love to shoot it after buying 4 other great pistols. I recently got an M&P 9mm that I'm really digging lately... and really enjoy shooting my E-series S&W 1911... But my 92A1 is still my first love. Those darn Italians sure know how to build sexy looking guns! LOL.

Ah... the Italians,beauty and form first and everything else will follow.

Bought my first handgun last year. A CZ-85 Combat. Still love the gun, although if I was thinking of HD at the time I would of bought the SP-01 (just didn't think it looked as nice with the rail). I will remedy that later this year or early next and get the SP-01 (and maybe an SP-02).

Bought my first handgun last year. A CZ-85 Combat. Still love the gun, although if I was thinking of HD at the time I would of bought the SP-01 (just didn't think it looked as nice with the rail). I will remedy that later this year or early next and get the SP-01 (and maybe an SP-02).

My favorite right now is my CZ75b.Stuck some wooden dress grips on her and is still a hit at the range.

My first gun was a Browning Hi-Power that I purchased 21 yrs ago. I still have it and love the way it shoots. The weight and feel of the gun is just perfect for me and all the controls are easily within reach. Since then I have purchased a Sig p226 with the plans to add a 1911. For me there are no regrets on either purchase but the browning is still my favorite

My first was my Kimber 9mm 1911. I love it. I wanted the 1911 platform for the history and I really like how they look. I was gonna trade it but at the last minute pulled the deal as I just couldn't. It's a perfect little piece for me. Fun to shoot and affordable, even with factory ammo. I'm reloading now, so that will bring the cost down a bit. She's also accurate as all get out. Just a great gun.

C

My first was a 5" XD-45 bi-tone. I shot it well, and I could afford it, so that's how I made my choice. But, since they I've decided that I wanted something a little "simpler" design-wise, so I sold the XD and used the proceeds to pick up a Glock 19.

I bought a S&W 686. Great gun but hate stainless. Got a S&W Model 28-2 to replace it and haven't looked back.

My next will be a 686 but I want it with a 3 inch barrel.

About 40 years ago - an H&R 939 Revolver (naturally). 9-shot .22 rimfire.

Naturally....Any that got away that you wish had not?

First gun was my dept issued glock 19. Then proceeded to go out and get a p250 for off duty. I got away from that gun but oddly enough I am considering going back to it for off duty. I love a heavier gun and more round capacity. I also have ever caliber with the caliber xchange kits

Naturally....Any that got away that you wish had not?

Absolutely - but only one that I can think of - It was a Ruger Blackhawk (not a Super Blackhawk) Flattop in .44 Magnum. Very early and in mint condition - although no box or papers. Also had not been converted to "New Model" specs.

I traded it for a S&W Model 25-5, a 4" N-Frame in .45 Colt - the first model made by S&W with a long cylinder (there were some rare model 25-2's and the 25-3 was a commemorative in 45 Colt, but they used the short ACP cylinder bored for the 45 Colt). I've recounted this story before - Smith used pre-war specs for the cylinder throats and post-war specs for the forcing cone and barrel. You had a big lead bullet (.452" diameter) blowing out to attempt to fill a .458" cylinder throat and then being swaged down to .452" again. All bullets going through the target sideways. It went back to Smith, twice if I recall, but was never really right - still had to use oversize bullets and I had the forcing cone recut to 11 degrees. Lost that gun in an apartment burglary in the mid-80's, only one of the six or so taken that I don't miss. Should have never parted with the Ruger.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Absolutely - but only one that I can think of - It was a Ruger Blackhawk (not a Super Blackhawk) Flattop in .44 Magnum. Very early and in mint condition - although no box or papers. Also had not been converted to "New Model" specs.

I traded it for a S&W Model 25-5, a 4" N-Frame in .45 Colt - the first model made by S&W with a long cylinder (there were some rare model 25-2's and the 25-3 was a commemorative in 45 Colt, but they used the short ACP cylinder bored for the 45 Colt). I've recounted this story before - Smith used pre-war specs for the cylinder throats and post-war specs for the forcing cone and barrel. You had a big lead bullet (.452" diameter) blowing out to attempt to fill a .458" cylinder throat and then being swaged down to .452" again. All bullets going through the target sideways. It went back to Smith, twice if I recall, but was never really right - still had to use oversize bullets and I had the forcing cone recut to 11 degrees. Lost that gun in an apartment burglary in the mid-80's, only one of the six or so taken that I don't miss. Should have never parted with the Ruger.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Another tragic love story..

First gun was my dept issued glock 19. Then proceeded to go out and get a p250 for off duty. I got away from that gun but oddly enough I am considering going back to it for off duty. I love a heavier gun and more round capacity. I also have ever caliber with the caliber xchange kits

I just can't come to terms with the P250's long DA trigger even after replacing with a short trigger kit and return spring. I need the weight and seem to shoot much better with steel guns. My friend likes the Sig for the ability to change sizes so we're just waiting for our P2P's to come in to complete the trade.

This company does p250 trigger work. Can't find any reviews but might have to try it.

http://www.totalauto...s/sigcorner.htm

Damn.....you got to really love the gun to spring for the level 3 package. Costs $50.00 less than another P250. The short trigger kit with replacement spring cost me $75.00+shipping, was able to swap it in 5 minutes and helped greatly but just not enough.